LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those. it's a honey and a prize in my collection. Good luck!

Yes I have the same one as well great cartridge it works great for me so I hope it will for you fredy, I even bought a new stylus every year for five years after I bought it.
I still have 3 of them left......Sorry I thought I should tell you I bought mine 30 years ago......

Last edited:
Adequate for its use in low-mass arms meant for carts with ultra-high compliance stylus assemblies, both in vogue at some point in time.

its going on a stock SL1200 arm - is it suitable?

according to the seller, the stylus is the shibata type (black body with gold AT logo) it originally came with, so i'm presuming/hoping it'll be compatible with the cart itself!?

Yes I have the same one as well great cartridge it works great for me so I hope it will for you fredy, I even bought a new stylus every year for five years after I bought it.
I still have 3 of them left.

thanks Bill, that's good news! do you use the cart solely for your CD-4 records or for all your LPs?

I have two of these now. They are really nice machines though you may need to access the head screw if you get some cross talk.

so far have to say i'm impressed with the Akai's sound quality and speed stability.
only one tape has exhibited crosstalk til now (Feliciano's Compartments; irksome as i could never get the CD-4 to demodulate sandpaper-free all the way through) the rest of the tapes have been fine.

the deck is running fast and no combination of flicking the 50/60 hz switch on the back panel
or turning the 50/60 hz screw on the underside while the deck is in play mode
improve it, so i'm leaving it in 50hz mode in both cases and just adjusting speed (-4%) and pitch (+4%)
in Audacity after recording the tapes in, which comparing to Quad LPs by ear seems to get the Q8s close enough to the LPs' speed for my purposes.

Hi. fedy

Yes I use it for both CD-4 & Matrix & Stereo music, that's way I originally had 5 brand new stylus.....

thanks Bill :)

what weight and anti skate settings do you use for it on your turntable?

the spec has a VTF range from 0.75 to 1.75 grams
(i seem to remember the Quadfather @QQ recommending running a bit heavier than the given specs when using AT carts for CD-4?)

also, can the cart be used with any other stylii.?
such as AT15SS (Super Shibata) or one of the modern AT stylii (e.g. AT150Sa or AT150MLX)

according to the seller, the stylus is the shibata type (black body with gold AT logo) it originally came with, so i'm presuming/hoping it'll be compatible with the cart itself!?
thats exactly what I have it on and it works like a charm for me. I use it and a 440 cart to play everything.

thanks Bill :)

what weight and anti skate settings do you use for it on your turntable?

the spec has a VTF range from 0.75 to 1.75 grams
(i seem to remember the Quadfather @QQ recommending running a bit heavier than the given specs when using AT carts for CD-4?)

also, can the cart be used with any other stylii.?
such as AT15SS (Super Shibata) or one of the modern AT stylii (e.g. AT150Sa or AT150MLX)

I run mine at 1.6 grams and about the same for the anti skating I now that the Quadfather runs his at a heavier setting and has no ware problems and finds overall better for that. I think it can be a personal thing to how fare you like to tinker with settings I do believe once you got everything in harmony that's it no more tinkering perfection is a hard road to go down.
Today you can only get generic stylus that have a Shibata tip, yes you can buy from eBay the original stylus new old stock which cost a leg and arm.

I thick you are becoming a very committed Quady but at the end of the day its the music that you listen to that gives you the pleasure.

Audio Technica AT15s

file.php

what a lovely (surprisingly heavy! :yikes ) thing..
fingers crossed it does the trick with CD-4 and ain't all show and no go..! :D

Mi queridísimo Adam....

This looks like a DREAM COME TRUE...do you remember that I suggested a "Latest P*rn gear added to your setup",,,, well this is the CENTERFOLD!!!!

YuuuuuMMMYYY!!!!

this is a SEÑOR (or SEÑORITA) cartridge!!!

soon, when I grow up.I'll have this one....for now . I'm an ORTOFON FREAK!!!!!!

can't wait to have a REAL Linear Tracking arm-but they are soooooooexpensive-...(I'm SUCH a SUCKER for these!!!)

EN-JOY!!!!!

un abrazo!

(Please report back with your results!)

Directionally yes, but you'd have to check the resonance with a test disc.

I've looking for a metal body modern cart for my SME SIII. Your model is no longer available, but there is one very similar to it.

Not quad, but if you like headphones, you owe it to yourself to try a pair of Stax electrostatics. These just came in the mail, and they are amazing. I have had Stax for decades, but I decided to try a pair of Hifiman planars ... not bad, but no substitute for electrostatics. No turning back now. :smokin

Attachments

• P1020660.jpg
    P1020660.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 149
Sony X800.
Amazon had a 20% off their warehouse goods deal, so this tight fisted old bugger, bought one described as good, with minor blemish on the side.
Minor is correct, could only see it in a bright light. Where it sits, it don't matter.
My initial thoughts are, its a very understated player with everything I need it to do.
Now are my ears deceiving me, or is it sounding clearer than my Cambridge Audio 752BD player?
Sacre bleu!!
Just need a 4K telly and a 4K AV amp now...and Sky Q...and...and...:geek:

Sony X800.
Amazon had a 20% off their warehouse goods deal, so this tight fisted old bugger, bought one described as good, with minor blemish on the side.
Minor is correct, could only see it in a bright light. Where it sits, it don't matter.
My initial thoughts are, its a very understated player with everything I need it to do.
Now are my ears deceiving me, or is it sounding clearer than my Cambridge Audio 752BD player?
Sacre bleu!!
Just need a 4K telly and a 4K AV amp now...and Sky Q...and...and...:geek:

You 'ears' are probably NOT deceiving you. It's a great little unit and wait until you behold Native UHD 4K? For the investment, you can't go wrong.

After all, Sony was the co~inventor of the compact disc, invented SACD and can also take credit for Blu Ray and UHD 4K.

Last edited:
Silly question but I want it for my mch system: I have a PL-S (Philips)black light bulb I bought thru the mail in Madrid...went to a lamp place the other day and asked this man where U could get a LAMP for it and he gave me this silly response...anyway, I have been looking online for a LAMP for my bulb and I'm about to go insaaaane...and my bulb does not have ANY indication that it's 220v, aamof it has a 1-800 tel hotline (only in the usa!), so it's gotta be either universal or 110v
.....help!
(Mods , please feel free to move this post)

Back