LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing new in my multichannel setup, but I bought a new 2-channel SACD/CD player (no multichannel, no DVD);
a Pioneer Elite PD-D9 MkII, with Cardas Golden Reference interconnects. Very nice sounding player, and very solid build.

Attachments

• P1060484.jpg
    P1060484.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
A few months ago I came across an Akai 1730 DSS 4 ch reel deck at a thrift store that looked like it just came out of the box (including the heads). The deck was rediculously cheap because it wouldnt power up ( A quick check of the rear of the unit revealed a missing fuse, so i took a chance). After replacing the fuse, the deck powered up but the rear channel playback board was dead. Just a few days ago, I came across an ebay listing that offered all four boards from a 1730 DSS for $40.00. I jumped on that deal and now my 1730DSS is singing pretty in all four channels again! And....The 1730 doesnt have those blasted solenoid transport controls from the more expensive models that go out all of the time. Couldnt be happier with my new deck.

Just replaced my Lexicon CP1s. Now I have two CP3s, another in the way and on the lookout for a spare one.

Planning to do 5.1 with three CP3s sometime in the near future, and eventually have 5.1 plus 10 ambiance channels.

Planning to tweak the CP3s, with better OpAmps and other simple upgrades. My development path as of now has no alternative to multiple CP3s.

Replaced my 3 Arcam Alpha amps with a Parasound P7 multi-channel analog preamp. I'm hearing a lot more detail in every channel and a much better defined surround field. This is the best piece I've ever purchased. It's definitely making me hungry for future upgrades.
p7 001.jpg

Have you added to your A/V system lately? If so, what did you add? Perhaps a vintage Quad piece or a new surround piece, maybe a Tefifone player?!?

Here's Mine:
Zektor HDS 4.1 6 channel analog 4 in, 1 out switcher, with digital coax & optical bought on QQ from Byrdman.
View attachment 6680
I got (I think) two of these recently at ebay but the seller is misbehavin'. Hope it turns out OK.

BTW, I got this for the Zektors:

MICROSOFT MODEL?? REMOTE CONTROL

Has not arrived yet, but its going to be a refurbished Zone Free OPPO BDP-93!!!! Woohooo!!!!

next year, Ill be hopefully buying a Yamaha receiver and speakers to replace my very out of date Sony surround system (does not even have HDMI)

My last "new" items are a Sony SDP-E800 Surround Processor and a Lafayette SQ-L 4-channel decoder. Both I got off E-bay and so far have worked with no problems. The SQ-L is my first 4 channel SQ decoder. I bought the SDP-E800 for its AC-3 input. Eventually, I want to get my CLD-D406 Laserdisc player (with the AC-3 output) fixed so I can have 5.1 sound from my LD's..

Saw a 3D tv at friends house. Loved it! Figured I might as well upgrade my projector, so picked up the Epson 5010. Super! But now I have to contend with hdmi 1.4. First bought a Panasonic BT 310 (dual hdmi). But got tired of the 1.4 workarounds, so a new Onkyo 818. So there's three new units. Looks and sounds great!

I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR414 on the weekend. Now I use my Oppo 80 as a transport only.

The Burr Brown D/A's in the Onkyo are day and night over the analogue out from the Oppo. Wow.

The Onkyo does straight DSD input. Cool.

Hello Kiddies

New to the forum, but not at all new to Quad....been going back to the future with Quad since the '70's.

I have ALWAYS had some sort of Quad setup...for a long time it was the simple Hafler Matrix/Dynaco ambience recovery setup (just the extra speakers wired appropriately). Then for a decade or more I had a Phase Linear 4000 preamp, with its matrix quad decoder. When that recently died, I went back to the Hafler setup until...

I got a Sony SQD-2020 Decoder off ebay for $71. It's not perfect...one front channel output has some kind of problem...it's really dull and weak sounding, but I figured out a workaround easily enough- I just use the QSD for the rear channels/rear amp. The front meters still work. The other issue is that it seems to need a little warmup time or it occasionally acts a little fidgety. No biggie. Once everything is humming along, it sounds really nice, noticeably better than what I had been used to for a long time when playing Quad albums (of which I NEED more...I don't have very many at all LOL).

My main system consists of:

Sony TTS3000 Turntable w/Shure VSTIII Cart
Dual 714Q TT w/Shure V15 type IV Cart *
Yamaha C70 Preamp *
Yamaha M70 Main Amp *
Marantz 2252b Receiver, used as Rear Amp/Tuner/extra Input Selector *
Audio Control 10 Band EQ
Audio Control Bass Subharmonizer *
ADC Sound Shaper 10 Band EQ *
Pioneer EX-9000 3 Band Dynamic Range Expander
Sony SQD-2020 Quad Decoder
Sony CD/DVD Player *
Sony Double Cassette Deck *
Cerwin Vega 3 Way 10" Front Speakers *
Dynaco A-25 2 Way 10" Rear Speakers
JBL 15" 250w Subwoofer *
KLH 10" 100w Subwoofer *
VCR and Cable TV Stereo Sound Sources

* Obtained at yard sales and flea markets, some even for FREE!!

The other main piece of vintage Quad gear I have is a Kenwood 7340 Two/Four Receiver, with two of the CD-4 plug-ins, paperwork, test record, etc., currently not in use, given to me by a member of the astro club I am in!!!

Last edited:
Jeff:

Welcome aboard. I do not know if "audiophile purists would run screaming in panic and terror" from my pile of gear; however, I am fairly certain if the Fire Marshall ever got behind my cabinet and saw the rats nest of power cords, speaker wires, patch cords etc he would have a fit and declare me a menace and would have the power company disconnect me from the grid!;)

Justin

Jeff:

Welcome aboard. I do not know if "audiophile purists would run screaming in panic and terror" from my pile of gear; however, I am fairly certain if the Fire Marshall ever got behind my cabinet and saw the rats nest of power cords, speaker wires, patch cords etc he would have a fit and declare me a menace and would have the power company disconnect me from the grid!;)

Justin

HA! Same here! I can barely figure out what I have connected to what at this point!

With 32 pieces o' gear on my main system, it's like Medusa behind the racks. Likely most of my compatriots have a similar array. My investment in cables is more than most folks have spent on their entire systems.
Jeff:

Justin

Scored another SQD-2020 (with a broken power switch) off ebay this weekend for $73 including shipping. The one I got about a month ago is acting up more and more...I guess it has some bad joints or components in it...though it does behave once it warms up, after about an hour or so. Otherwise it makes very annoying noises and one rear channel cuts out, both problems are intermittent. The 'new' one supposedly worked fine until the power switch was damaged. I'm gonna swap out the power switch from my current 2020 when the new one arrives. Hopefully there will be no problems after hooking that one up. Then I'll have one that will need restoration, which I will probably sell on ebay.

Back