LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's taken a while to all get this. I'm very happy with the Oppo, now I'll need to upgrade my other speakers.

The Oppo packaging is amazing! Before you actually use the player your amazed with the packaging!

Next on order is a Epson Highres projector.

Great stuff :) I remember when I unpacked the 103 and how impressed I was with the packaging as well. And realizing the Oppo remote weighed about the same as my previous Samsung BD player!

New in for me is an Amazon Firestick. As well as being able to stream most of the music I've purchased over the years from Amazon (excluding from Marketplace sellers), I've installed Kodi and now the world is my oyster :)

New in for me is an Amazon Firestick. As well as being able to stream most of the music I've purchased over the years from Amazon (excluding from Marketplace sellers), I've installed Kodi and now the world is my oyster :)

I wonder how Kodi compares to Foobar (as an example). Can Kodi play hi-rez 5.1 flac or wav files?

I wonder how Kodi compares to Foobar (as an example). Can Kodi play hi-rez 5.1 flac or wav files?

I don't know GOS. I see it has 5.1 as an option its settings and the device is capable of 5.1, but I use Kodi for 2 channel film and TV content. I'll spend some time later on and see if I can find out for sure and will let you know what happens - or doesn't as the case may be.

I don't know GOS. I see it has 5.1 as an option its settings and the device is capable of 5.1, but I use Kodi for 2 channel film and TV content. I'll spend some time later on and see if I can find out for sure and will let you know what happens - or doesn't as the case may be.

Hi Derek, hows it goin?

Thanks man - I'm always looking for options for all my music.

I just spent the last 30 minutes or so faffing about with Kodi (on my Amazon Firestick) to see if I could get it to stream hi-res stereo and multichannel music over my local network and had mixed results - but I'm afraid on the whole, the news isn't good, but not all bad, and not necessarily doomed forever.

I first tried to play a regular FLAC file and it played it no problem. I then played a 24/96 FLAC stereo file and it started to play it, but would drop out every few seconds or so. And it was the same with 5.1 FLAC files as well 5.1 DTS files. I tried to play an SACD ISO file, but predictably nothing happened ... but, it did play a stereo DFF file, but again it did so in starts and stutters. I didn't have a 5.1 DFF file at hand, so didn't try that, but I imagine it would have been the same.

Although Kodi and the device have the capability to play hi-res stereo and multichannel files on paper, it's not clear whether the stuttering is due to the fact that the Firestick lacks processing power or my fairly old router is just not fit for the job - or possibly it was a bit of both. Fwiw, I was streaming files from my PC and I don't whether streaming from a NAS would have made any difference.

Fwiw, I rip music for playback on a HTPC anyway, so using Kodi as anything other than film and TV player isn't likely to happen anytime soon if ever, but had I had a faster router and Fire TV box (which has an Ethernet input and better processor) instead of the Firestick, I might have had much better results! I hope that helps GOS :)

Hi Derek, hows it goin?

I'm well thanks Mark :)

I'd been busy at work a lot over the festive period and as I bought an expensive guitar, didn't even have pennies to buy some nice multichannel music. Now that my money situation is getting back to normal, I'm slowly coming out of hibernation and rejoining life once again lol. Being skint sucks big time!

Ho about you? Have you been well and rockin' loud and proud?

Good to hear. I have been busy at work, still getting lots of discs, love the few surrounds that come my way, still like getting the less compressed early stereo CD's, ripping them and running through the external DAC. I am going to get some serious upgrade in gear within a month or so. Replacing my 50" Pioneer Elite with a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra, a new AV reciever a MacIntosh MX 122 to replace my MX121, the idea of the 122 is mostly to handle the 4K upscaling, a new Rel sub to replace my 15 year old Klipsch sub and then and finally a new Macintosh amp for my center and two rears. This might be my final upgrade in my 50 years of trying to be an audiophile. I feel comfortable with my decision, I am getting a trade in fee on the 121 and it just so happened the store had roofing issues, hired me and we where able to barter. Work has been killing me as raining alot in California, but that is my income, better than a drought and no work. I am going to try and get tickets for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame awards in NY, probaly not though, utterly and ridiculously expensive, they go on sale to the public I think Feb 5th, maybe I will get lucky.

Wow you sound like the hardest working guy in the West Markie and what a stroke of luck your dealer had a cough-leaky roof-cough :smokin

Good luck with the R&R HoF tickets; you never know who you might end up sitting next too - Clapton, Slash or even better...Ralph :banana:

Good to hear. I have been busy at work, still getting lots of discs, love the few surrounds that come my way, still like getting the less compressed early stereo CD's, ripping them and running through the external DAC. I am going to get some serious upgrade in gear within a month or so. Replacing my 50" Pioneer Elite with a Samsung 65" 4K Ultra, a new AV reciever a MacIntosh MX 122 to replace my MX121, the idea of the 122 is mostly to handle the 4K upscaling, a new Rel sub to replace my 15 year old Klipsch sub and then and finally a new Macintosh amp for my center and two rears. This might be my final upgrade in my 50 years of trying to be an audiophile. I feel comfortable with my decision, I am getting a trade in fee on the 121 and it just so happened the store had roofing issues, hired me and we where able to barter. Work has been killing me as raining alot in California, but that is my income, better than a drought and no work. I am going to try and get tickets for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame awards in NY, probaly not though, utterly and ridiculously expensive, they go on sale to the public I think Feb 5th, maybe I will get lucky.

You might have some luck HERE

With the right hardware Kodi can handle everything, 5.1, 7.1 FLAC, DTS, 192kHz etc. It has a pass-through option to bitstream the original audio to an AVR via HDMI (if your hardware has HDMI).

There is a bit of learning to go through but it's a great audio player as it has auto lyrics, auto artist slideshow etc so adds some visuals while listening to audio only. Also has remote control app to allow you to control it from an iPad, iPhone, android tablet/phone, PC etc (wireless).

best thing I've added to my system in years. Changed they way Ilisten to music and watch music videos.

I love this app too:
www.kodimusicremote.com

With the right hardware Kodi can handle everything, 5.1, 7.1 FLAC, DTS, 192kHz etc. It has a pass-through option to bitstream the original audio to an AVR via HDMI (if your hardware has HDMI).

There is a bit of learning to go through but it's a great audio player as it has auto lyrics, auto artist slideshow etc so adds some visuals while listening to audio only. Also has remote control app to allow you to control it from an iPad, iPhone, android tablet/phone, PC etc (wireless).

best thing I've added to my system in years. Changed they way Ilisten to music and watch music videos.

I love this app too:
www.kodimusicremote.com

What device do you use Kodi with?

What device do you use Kodi with?

I use an Intel NUC (Intel i3 processor). It's about 4" square and 1" high with Ethernet, HDMI, Display Port (4K) and 3 or 4 USB 3.0 ports.

I'm running Kodi on Openelec, which is a tiny Linux operating system which boots directly to Kodi in about 10 seconds or less. It can run Windows too as its a true PC, so you can run Kodi for Windows if you wanted to.

Never an issue streaming HD video and DTS- HDMA etc. All my media is stored on a NAS.

I use an Intel NUC (Intel i3 processor). It's about 4" square and 1" high with Ethernet, HDMI, Display Port (4K) and 3 or 4 USB 3.0 ports.

I'm running Kodi on Openelec, which is a tiny Linux operating system which boots directly to Kodi in about 10 seconds or less. It can run Windows too as its a true PC, so you can run Kodi for Windows if you wanted to.

Never an issue streaming HD video and DTS- HDMA etc. All my media is stored on a NAS.

Thanks Homer, If I hadn't already paid for JRiver, I'd probably give Kodi a go on my HTPC to use as a media player. The Firestick so small however, it's no hassle to leave it there now that it's in situ. If a future Fire TV box came with a USB Input for external storage plus a few other options, I think it could be a terrific piece of hardware for Kodi, what with its small form factor.

I'm well thanks Mark :)

I'd been busy at work a lot over the festive period and as I bought an expensive guitar, didn't even have pennies to buy some nice multichannel music. Now that my money situation is getting back to normal, I'm slowly coming out of hibernation and rejoining life once again lol. Being skint sucks big time!

Ho about you? Have you been well and rockin' loud and proud?

What kind of guitbox did you get?

What kind of guitbox did you get?

I bought a brand new 2015 Gibson ES-175D and oh my, is she a sweet guitar. I don't mind admitting the quality of the 175D greatly exceeds the quality of my playing, but we still have quality time together :D

IMG_20151211_154729_zpsli2ihqd1.jpg

Back