LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR414 on the weekend. Now I use my Oppo 80 as a transport only.

The Burr Brown D/A's in the Onkyo are day and night over the analogue out from the Oppo. Wow.

The Onkyo does straight DSD input. Cool.

wow! and that Onkyo can be had here for under £299 now! (i imagine it can be found for even less in other territories?).. its amazing how far receivers have come, to the point where even the lower budget stuff has decent DACs etc. amazing value for money, one wonders how the manufacturers do it..!?

My "newest" piece of quad equipment is a stereo-4 decoder made by Electrovoice, model CVX-4 from e-bay. This decoder came in the original box still wrapped in plastic. Even the warranty card and instructions were with it. Best of all, it works!! I tried it with my only 3 stereo-4 lp's and it steers the quad sound around the 4 speakers as it should. I don't know how popular the stereo-4 matrix system was as compared to SQ; but, it seems to work okay for me.

$T2eC16RHJHYE9nzpdVDFBQVo,reJVw~~60_35.JPG

A nice find! EV Stereo 4 is the first matrix LP system. The only Quad adaptors that predate EV Stereo 4 were passive, like the Dynaco.

My "newest" piece of quad equipment is a stereo-4 decoder made by Electrovoice, model CVX-4 from e-bay. This decoder came in the original box still wrapped in plastic. Even the warranty card and instructions were with it. Best of all, it works!! I tried it with my only 3 stereo-4 lp's and it steers the quad sound around the 4 speakers as it should. I don't know how popular the stereo-4 matrix system was as compared to SQ; but, it seems to work okay for me.

Thanks for the picture, Quad LInda. That is the exact decoder that I have. I did not know that I now own a little piece of quad audio "history".

I am currently bidding on a Lafayette SQ-M decoder. My holy grail is an SQ-W decoder. There have been a number of them for sale but their prices are too rich for my blood right now. I will have to save up my "egg money" in order to afford one.

Expert texpert. You are the Eggman. I am the Walrus.

Thanks for the picture, Quad LInda. That is the exact decoder that I have. I did not know that I now own a little piece of quad audio "history".

I am currently bidding on a Lafayette SQ-M decoder. My holy grail is an SQ-W decoder. There have been a number of them for sale but their prices are too rich for my blood right now. I will have to save up my "egg money" in order to afford one.

A very nice quote from a Beatles tune. I wish I knew what piece of prose or poetry the original one was from.

wow! and that Onkyo can be had here for under £299 now! (i imagine it can be found for even less in other territories?).. its amazing how far receivers have come, to the point where even the lower budget stuff has decent DACs etc. amazing value for money, one wonders how the manufacturers do it..!?

I actually got it for $370 CAN.

Now I need a new (sur)round of speakers. Paradigm is almost next door. Maybe they will give me the tour.

For my space the Monitor 7 Mini Monitors (read) like they might do the trick.

Last week I picked up a very nice used Oppo BDP-83 for my bedroom system. It came with a sealed Blu-ray copy of Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning, an AIX HD Music Sampler and a Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark disk (those two probably came with the player from Oppo). It also came with a Deep Purple DVD-Audio disk - Concerto for Group and Orchestra (which I already have on SACD).

This week I picked up a Lingo 2 power supply upgrade for my 2-channel turntable. This was an impulse buy, but I do love my vinyl.

I got a never used Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1. I had the cooling fan system installed then delivered. I am swapping out the speakers it came with and replacing them with Klipsch RSX-5 speakers and the RSX-4 center channel. I also just got a like new, not used Marantz DV9600. The Promedia Ultra also came with the original Monster cable speaker wire upgrades still in original wrapping. I still want to upgrade the wire to something like Audioquest type 8, some Sanus speaker stands (5), and replace the stock Klipsch power cord for a Shunyata Venom 3.

The inputs on the klipsch are 3 stereo min jacks so I got 3 Audioquest hard mini jack on one end stereo which is plugged into the mini jack inputs of the Klipsch other so I just plug the player into the rca jacks on the adapter which is connected to the Klipsch via the minjacks. I want to use it as a portable, (not mobile) system. The speakers each get 60 watts of power the dual 8 inch sub uses 200 watts. originally marketed asa surround computer speaker system. The stock speakers wwere pretty good but replacing them with RSX and RCX makes a notable improvement especially the mid range!

Just bought this. Not all that cheap. Beta hi-fi machines hold their value. This model came in your choice of 3 colors. White, Pink or Black. Buying this proves I'm nuts but I couldn't resist. It's just so pretty.

Attachments

• betamaxxx.jpg
    betamaxxx.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 305
TAKE???? Wow. Good friend!

Though I shouldn't be too envious...someone in my astro club did give me a Kenwood 7340 with two of the CD4 modules. Still...that's a NICE haul you got!

Two betamaxes in the same thread. What's the chances of that?

Back