HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake and Palmer - EMERSON LAKE & PALMER

• Total voters
Any kind tape speed up or slow down effect is not possible to accurately reproduce in the digital mixing domain...
That can't be true, can it? The leaps and bounds in DAWs during this century has to make that possible, doesn't it?
Maybe that was true at the time for Lizard, which was mixed in the last decade, but it is certainly not true now. It is absolutely possible to accurately reproduce tape speed effects in most DAWs using plugins (often offline) or built-in features (possibly online). Source: I'm an audio engineer working mainly in Pro Tools.

Last edited:
I used SADiE for a couple of years in the early noughties and using a jog/shuttle dial we could speed up and slow down, so it didn't seem a million miles away from it being able to be rendered on the edit decision list/timeline.

I voted 9. Super great, so glad this last ELP, completed my collection. The vocals bugged me a little, I would have spread them out a little more, too much center.

I voted 9. Super great, so glad this last ELP, completed my collection. The vocals bugged me a little, I would have spread them out a little more, too much center.

Yeah, sometimes. Tick the center up a notch or two when you play this one and life is better perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Steve Wilson's own words, he was not particularly enamored with ELP which is why he withdrew from further remixing of their back catalog. His heart just wasn't in it. At least he somehow convinced once SACD centric SONY to release what he did remix in MLP DVD~A (as opposed to LOSSY DVD~V 5.1...a small victory, IMO).

It's unlikely that ELP will ever be remixed again into 5.1 to everyone's satisfaction. Since I'm a casual and not rabid fan of ELP, I'm somewhat satisfied with the results and do not consider myself an expert as to what was done correctly .... or not!

In contrast, Wilson's brilliant KING CRIMSON 5.1 remixes are stunning on every level because he obviously is a fan of their work and he also had the full cooperation and input from Robert Fripp.......a HUGE plus!

Where did you read that SW wasn't enamored of ELP? That's certainly not the case by way of his quotes in the liner notes to the ELP DVD-A. I believe I read that Wilson didn't appreciate comments made by Carl Palmer regarding his 5.1 work on the two early ELP DVDAs and maybe that has more to do why he didn't pursue any additional 5.1 work for them, but it would seem he grew up loving ELP.

Bought this in 2012 and gave it a few listens, but it didn't seem to really jump out in any way at that time. I've since acquired a lot of other SW 70's surround mixes (Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Yes) and found that I really enjoyed them with the volume cranked to the aural sweet spot. So I revisited this ELP debut earlier today with that in mind and... damn, it sounded great!

The mix is discrete and active with keyboards and vocals moving around the sonic landscape while the bass and drums are anchored in the fronts. Love the incredible detail now available to Carl's kit; the kick alone is so tangibly present it's almost mind boggling. Emerson's piano and hammond both sound superlative and SW does a great job with their placement around the listening area. I too own the old Kellogg BSS DVDA which I thought was the bomb at the time, but I think SW does a great job with the surround mix of Lucky Man here. It's absolutely sublime when the background vocals drop into the surrounds at the 1:10 mark!

A solid 9 for me!

I’m a die hard fan since 1972. SW eagerly took this on and made some great mixes based on what he was given to work with. Unlike most of the bands you cited, Steven received little or no input or support from band members. This is a crucial element and the lack of it had to be disheartening to say the least. Another element to this situation was the highly critical fan base, where some lambasted SW over things he did with panning, position, EQ and such. His success with surround mixing is referencing the original sound and then trusting his ears on the results. I have to think he came to regret making the commitment, handing it off to Jakko to finish them up.

I’m a die hard fan since 1972. SW eagerly took this on and made some great mixes based on what he was given to work with. Unlike most of the bands you cited, Steven received little or no input or support from band members. This is a crucial element and the lack of it had to be disheartening to say the least. Another element to this situation was the highly critical fan base, where some lambasted SW over things he did with panning, position, EQ and such. His success with surround mixing is referencing the original sound and then trusting his ears on the results. I have to think he came to regret making the commitment, handing it off to Jakko to finish them up.

Wow, didn’t realize that SW did these two ELP surround mixes with zero input from the band, Timbre. Must have been frustrating to say the least and not what I would have expected. It’s a shame it halted Steven’s work on ELP’s back catalogue and it’s made even worse with the fairly recent passing of both Emerson and Lake.

I’ll be cranking up Tarkus tomorrow!

Here's what he said:

I’ve got to love the album and people involved. It’s as simple as that. I get invited to do a lot of stuff, believe me. I did two Emerson, Lake and Palmer albums, but I’ve chosen not to do any more of their records because I can’t honestly say I love them. I didn’t feel as connected to them as the King Crimson or Jethro Tull albums. So, Jakko Jakszyk will be doing the next two for ELP and he’ll do a great job.

Source: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html

resist the urge!
I had "retired" my TARKUS plates. Had one signed by all three...but TARKUS rides again!
c30060e8a95445711bb4e5a5682f8711.jpg
a966c152426647cf1f6bfc9a5e10131b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's interested reading back this thread and seeing that quite a few fans (including SW himself) aren't all that enamored with this surround mix. All I can say is, I just managed to add this one to my collection and I think it's brilliant. I gave it a 9. My only past ELP listening has been the DVD-As of Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy, and I like this one better than either of those.

Considering how sparsely-arranged some of these songs are, the surround mix is incredible. This is definitely one of SW's more active mixes: the drums do a nice around-the-room pan at the beginning of "The Barbarian", while Emerson's piano is almost always completed isolated in the rears, along with the doubled/backing vocals.

As for "Lucky Man", I thought the old version was decent, but this is demo stuff. The chorus vocals in the rears are incredible.

"Take A Pebble":
Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 9.38.50 PM.png

"The Three Fates - Atropos":
Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 9.41.45 PM.png

Now to find a copy of Tarkus for sensible money...

Last edited:
Back