HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TARKUS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake and Palmer - TARKUS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Perhaps a bit throttled back in the lower frequencies, perhaps. That's what the gain control on the sub-woofer is for. Turn the knob a bit and we are Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra and Shaka, when the walls fell. I am talking literally shaking the foundations of the house. It brings back what are possibly memories (or really lucid hallucinations) of the early 1970s. A solid 10 (only 'cause there wasn't an 11).

A '9' from me, strictly for the sound. I'll agree with those who have some minor quibbles with aspects of the mix, but then, given the difficulty of recreating the album from the multitracks, to get everything just so given the complexity of the recording would be asking too much. I was impressed by the mix and the way it added a kinetic dimension to the performance. This is an album I've never really liked, if only because it's really a suite of a handful of songs and plenty of passages where Mr. Emerson goes way over the deep end in excess and self-indulgence. But that's what he did best, and at least in 5.1, I can hear other things to distract me from that fact.

ED :)

I think that for sheer Excess, it was "Trilogy" (cause at least they could pull off live most of BSS)...IIRC, Greg said that it was their first 24 track recording....plus they were doing some substances by then that they could ...cough....afford!!!

Trilogy was more 'excessive' than Brain Salad Surgery or Pictures or Works or their triple live album? No, I hardly think so.

Trilogy was more 'excessive' than Brain Salad Surgery or Pictures or Works or their triple live album? No, I hardly think so.

hey, whatever...your opinion is as good as mine..this is a forum, last time I checked.. and it also depends on your definition of "excessive", and on what context...

The vocal/piano duet in the title track of Trilogy is the most classically 'Romantic' thing they ever recorded, I'll grant that.

What a superb re-issue! The surround mix is very well done indeed. No noise (that I can hear) no excessive compression and the tracks (particularly organ/keys) are well separated and positioned, Agree with the comments about the lack of low end (hence the 8.) And as others have I must applaud the pricing; an absolute steal!

[Edit 11th March 2013] I have found that the lack of bass in my case seems to be down to a problem with my system handling the DTS mix. If I play the advanced resolution mix the low end is all there. I know this may sound like an odd way 'round but because of the age of my decoder I have to use the 6 channel analogue direct in rather than optical for some of the more advanced formats so I usually try DTS first and had been putting up with the lack of low end. When I read the other posts on this thread and experimented I found that the hi res mix via the six channel analogue in is a revelation; absolutely awesome. So much that I would replace my previous 8 rating with a 10 if I could.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've discovered that the mastering of the remixed 2.0 version is different on CD vs the DVD-A. CD version is louder and appears to have gotten some mild compression. Haven't determined if the EQ is different otherwise.

I expect this is true of the self-titled first album remix too.

FWIW, I've discovered that the mastering of the remixed 2.0 version is different on CD vs the DVD-A. CD version is louder and appears to have gotten some mild compression. Haven't determined if the EQ is different otherwise. I expect this is true of the self-titled first album remix too.

Yep that's right. CD is mastered while the DVD-A is a flat transfer. Personally I wish both discs were flat transfers, but we're lucky to get these as DVD-A.

I'm not crazy about the 2.0 remix; it would have been interesting to have a flat transfer of the original mix.

The reason I investigated is because on another forum someone was raving about how much better the DVD-A 2.0 sounded than the CD. Which to them was proof that hi-rez sounds better than CD. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've discovered that the mastering of the remixed 2.0 version is different on CD vs the DVD-A. CD version is louder and appears to have gotten some mild compression. Haven't determined if the EQ is different otherwise.

I expect this is true of the self-titled first album remix too.

Yup.
We did not do the CD versions.

SW has done another stellar job with this 5.1 mix. I have no issue with the EQ or instrument levels (save for a few minor quibbles here and there). In spite of the music's complexity the instrumentation is often sparse yet SW still succeeds in creating an immersive soundstage. I love the first side but Side 2 is still a letdown for me (if we had to lose some ELP Side 2 multis then why not from this one??). Overall I prefer what was to follow for ELP with Trilogy and BSS.

I love this disc, and have had it for quite a while. I think if I had voted upon receipt, I would have voted a 9. Hearing this in DVD-A was a pleasure. Now, revisiting it last night it didn't seem to have the fidelity of many other discs from similar era. I mean, compared to Fragile, there is little comparison. For that reason, I voted a 7. Regardless, if you like TARKUS and love 5.1...get it. I doubt you will be disappointed.

A friend of mine was a bit more descriptive, he said to me "THEY CUT THE BALLS OFF KEITH'S HAMMOND!!"
I noticed it the first listen I gave to Tarkus. Also, the low end and bass lacks punch.

This statement has kept me from buying the DVD-A so far... But I'm dying to hear Tarkus (the track) in surround !!! It might be the only album by ELP I've fell in love with, but it's sure is way up there with the giants of history for me..

Is it really that "bad" ?

This statement has kept me from buying the DVD-A so far... But I'm dying to hear Tarkus (the track) in surround !!! It might be the only album by ELP I've fell in love with, but it's sure is way up there with the giants of history for me..

Is it really that "bad" ?

No, it's not that bad at all. This is just one fan's opinion. The DVD-A currently has an overall score on QQ of 8.92 so most on here (including myself) really like it and would recommend adding it to your collection. :)

No, it's not that bad at all. This is just one fan's opinion. The DVD-A currently has an overall score on QQ of 8.92 so most on here (including myself) really like it and would recommend adding it to your collection. :)

Thanks rt !
That'll be one of my next purchases, then... :ebay

I voted 9 for this great DVD-A. I paid $70.00 and worth it. I listened to the two RBCD's and the 5.1. This is my first experience with Tarkus, I also have Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. A few basic notes.
Disc 1, I felt was a little right channel sided.
Disc 2, alternates with Steven Wilson remix, definitely better stereo, more balanced, albeit alternate takes.
Disc 3, listened to 5.1, Advanced Resolution choice on menu. Super great, loved the mix, I could hear, strokes of keys, and instruments where not parked but moved around. My only reason for a 9 was the center channel came off too loud, 2 or 3 times, and it made me hit the remote for a second. After reading others on this poll I can understand the disappointment with wanting more bass, but it is really not that bad.

Back