Mercedes-Benz Signature Sound DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vast differences in surround mixes are common, especially in the Quad era. Radically different mixes and alternate takes are often fun, especially for hard core collectors. In spite of all that, I often marvel at mixes that offer a very "discrete" surround mix, yet sound as balanced as the stereo version.

While I'm happy to have this disc, and it has it's moments, many of the tracks are disappointing mixes. Creedence is a joke. I love their music, but if all you can offer is a 2 or 3 channel mix, then put a well mixed track by someone else on instead.

Vast differences in surround mixes are common, especially in the Quad era. Radically different mixes and alternate takes are often fun, especially for hard core collectors. In spite of all that, I often marvel at mixes that offer a very "discrete" surround mix, yet sound as balanced as the stereo version.

While I'm happy to have this disc, and it has it's moments, many of the tracks are disappointing mixes. Creedence is a joke. I love their music, but if all you can offer is a 2 or 3 channel mix, then put a well mixed track by someone else on instead.

it might only be three channel (well 3.1 as it's mainly ambience in the rears) and therefore not fully 5.1 surround...but it is sooooo much better than the stereo mix, that i'm glad i have it...

In with Linda on this one....

Although the mix is discrete for Owner of a Lonely Heart (to me) the vocals don't have the same "sound" as the original stereo mix. I popped by the stereo mix on after hearing it to check and it's quite different.

OH YEAH? Your QQ membership is hereby cancelled! :)

Actually, I would not know, as I do not own the CD that this track came from. I sort of lost contact with YES after their '70s output, although, like I said, you could not live through the '80s without hearing "Owner of a Lonely Heart" everywhere you went.

Still, I think the mix is quite good surround-wise, independant of the stereo comparison. I've always felt that trying to make the surround mix too much like the stereo mix is kinda dumb, as if one wants to hear the stereo ,mix, one can play the stereo mix. Give me the wild and crazy (within reason) as a reason to listen to the surround mix in the first place.

Actually, I would not know, as I do not own the CD that this track came from. I sort of lost contact with YES after their '70s output, although, like I said, you could not live through the '80s without hearing "Owner of a Lonely Heart" everywhere you went.
Just like how you could not live through the 2010s without hearing Poker Face, but somehow you managed it.

Just like how you could not live through the 2010s without hearing Poker Face, but somehow you managed it.

Honest, I swear on a stack of WinGibbs, I have never heard "Poker Face" before, or at least I was never aware of it. The only radio I listen to is either Howard 100/101, or sports talk radio.

Still, I think the mix is quite good surround-wise, independant of the stereo comparison. I've always felt that trying to make the surround mix too much like the stereo mix is kinda dumb, as if one wants to hear the stereo ,mix, one can play the stereo mix. Give me the wild and crazy (within reason) as a reason to listen to the surround mix in the first place.

Hey if my membership is cancelled? How come I'm still typing! :D

Seriously though - for me its just nowhere near SW or ES quality, and sonically it doesn't have the punch of the stereo version.

Now I've heard this disc (thank you LK!) I have to say in places its rather wonderful..!!

the Seal, FYC, Tears for Fears, Alanis and Jason Derulo tracks are fantastic in surround!

hearing Gaga and James Blunt in surround is a treat, even if the Gaga isn't the best fidelity or mix.. the CCR track sounds really lovely, even if it is also a bit of a whimpy mix.. I don't care for either the Doobies or Foreigner remixes on this, they just don't stack up against the Elliot Scheiner & John Kellogg 5.1 mixes on the old DVD-A's.. but all in all this is excellent.

I would have gladly paid good money for it, if it was readily available at retail -- bit dumb only giving it away with a flash new set of wheels if you ask me.. but since when did the labels do things logically..!!

Well, I went down to my Mercedes Benz dealer to buy a part for my Mercedes. I thought, while I'm here, I'll see if I can run down a copy of this disc. So, I pulled out my droid, and pulled up the website and this thread, and got the disc number. They weren't able to sell me a disc, because they didn't have any that didn't come with a car. Apparently, it's packaged in the car with the owner's manual. However, after asking around, they gave me a number for Mercedes service, and I called the number and explained what I was trying to do. I told the lady, who was very nice to me, about the Quadraphonic Quad website, and she pulled it up on her computer as we talked. She even asked directions to the thread about the disc and I told her. I also told her that most of the folks on this website would love a chance to buy the disc if it involves a lower price and doesn't come with a car. I billed it as a money making opportunity for Mercedes. She said she would check around and call me back. So far I haven't heard back, but this occurred just yesterday. Cross your fingers quaddie folks, and hope that this effort does bear fruit. If it doesn't, maybe an Email to Stuttgart would accomplish the mission.

The Quadfather

Followed your thread, that's a shame that you need to buy the vehicle. Nice try though, sounds like you through a lot of effort

Well, I've just listened to this and I must give it props - there's some cool stuff here, especially since many of these tracks never saw commercial surround release before. As has been mentioned, the quality of the mix does vary - in some tracks, the surround channels are quite active, while in others I had to listen at the speakers to make sure they were working. But I'll take it - any surround music is better than none.

I'd love to hear the 5.1 surround mix of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" that's on this disc. (Especially since there's no chance that Steven Wilson will remix it as part of the current series of Yes reissues.)

Owner of a Lonely Heart is OK in 5.1 on that disc.
But I'd say that the tracks by Sheryl Crowe, Lady Gaga, Fine Young Cannibals and Jason Derulo are more interesting 5.1 mixes.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is OK in 5.1 on that disc.
But I'd say that the tracks by Sheryl Crowe, Lady Gaga, Fine Young Cannibals and Jason Derulo are more interesting 5.1 mixes.
do you have any info in regard of CCR "Pendulum" album, track from which included.
is this full album got 5.1 or just lone track?

do you have any info in regard of CCR "Pendulum" album, track from which included.
is this full album got 5.1 or just lone track?

My understanding is that the M-B engineering team did track by track 5.1 remixes, not entire albums.
So the CCR 5.1 mix is a one-off.

My understanding is that the M-B engineering team did track by track 5.1 remixes, not entire albums.
So the CCR 5.1 mix is a one-off.
thanks, albeit i would prefer another answer.
i thought all those tracks had been taken from already mixed releases.
that's one of CCR album which i very much like and would love to see in surround.

Back