Q CASS: Various Tascam Rack Mount Models

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Various Tascam Rack Mount 4 Track Cassette Decks
Vintage: Late '70's & 80's
Rarity: Varies

From Tascam, Teac's pro division. Most record at 3 3/4 ips, rather than the standard 1 7/8 ips for cassettes. Are they Quad? You decide!

Tascam 234:
tascam234.jpg

Tascam 238:
tascam238syncaset.jpg

Tascam 134:
260101d1319730377-4-track-cassete-recorders-rule-tascam134.jpg

I would consider these to be Quad, although they came out after Quad was killed by the record companies and equipment manufactures. They were intended for musicians to make multitrack masters. I don't know why someone would opt for one of these for that purpose, a reel to reel would be much better. At 3 3/4 ips and 4 tracks you wouldn't have a lot of playing time and the tapes would not conform to Philips original standard.

I remember there were a lot of 4-track cassette recorders home recording studio use in the 90's. I remeber I wanted one. Maybe part of the reason they made the rack mount varieties was so when all those musicians came in with 4 track cassette demos, they could play them and pull useful stuff from them. I don't know if the ones intended for amateur musicians ran at different speeds though.

Officially: Not quad
Unofficially: Could definately be used for quad.

Back