HiRez Poll Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
My replacement disc arrived last Thursday. Thank you Lisa for such great service.

Ok here are the waveforms:

Top = CD
Middle = Stereo Hi-rez (its at a lot lower level)
Bottom = L+R from Hi-rez 5.1

View attachment 8186

FYI - I got my replacement yesterday in the mail - however - the stereo is still not fixed!!!!

Here is the waveform:

Dead.jpg

I've sent burning shed (Lisa) an e-mail about this.

FYI - I got my replacement yesterday in the mail - however - the stereo is still not fixed!!!!

Hi LizardKing. Maybe I don't interpret the waveforms very well, but other than the levels, they don't look that different to me. How does it sound? Does it sound like the stereo mix, and like the L/R channels of the 5.1? It should be very obvious. Waveforms should not be required :)

I can't imagine Neil making the same mistake twice! But, perhaps you were sent the wrong disc.

capsid, how does the stereo track on your replacement sound?

It sounds (and looks) exactly like the original hi-rez stereo on the DVD-A. i.e. just the L&R front channels from the 5.1 mix.

The waveforms are there as additional evidence.

P.S. If you look at the start of the top (CD) waveform you can see addtional "peaks" (vocal - IIRC) relative the other waveforms.. (image below)

Attachments

• Cd.JPG
    Cd.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 88
It sounds (and looks) exactly like the original hi-rez stereo on the DVD-A. i.e. just the L&R front channels from the 5.1 mix.

The waveforms are there as additional evidence.

P.S. If you look at the start of the top (CD) waveform you can see addtional "peaks" (vocal - IIRC) relative the other waveforms.. (image below)

Thanks for the explanation. Strange. I am sure Burning Shed will clear this up.

Yes, the stereo mix on my replacement disc is the same as the original.

Edit: I just got a replacement in the mail today. Hopefully it's fixed!

Last edited:
I haven't recieved my replacement yet, but from what I understood, only the authoring was different. It was made back in september when they got a few complaints about some players that wouldn't read the disc properly. The 2.0 hi-rez blunder was only reported in November.

I never got an answer from Peaceville about this, btw!
So again, thanks to Neil and Lisa for keeping us informed!

update: I too received a replacement disc. It is easily recognizable as it is a DVD-R (but with a nicely printed label).
The thing is, the stereo MLP is still the same, the stereo PCM on the DVD-V part however is now probably what was intended.
The problem with the stereo MLP (on the DVD-A part) is that the center channel is completely missing, so no vocals. Anyway, no need to ask for the replacement, just play the DVD-A 5.1 mix and force you amp/receiver to stereo, if possible (works great with HDMI, maybe not with analog 5.1 input). If that fails, play the CD.

update: I too received a replacement disc. It is easily recognizable as it is a DVD-R (but with a nicely printed label).
The thing is, the stereo MLP is still the same, the stereo PCM on the DVD-V part however is now probably what was intended.
The problem with the stereo MLP (on the DVD-A part) is that the center channel is completely missing, so no vocals. Anyway, no need to ask for the replacement, just play the DVD-A 5.1 mix and force you amp/receiver to stereo, if possible (works great with HDMI, maybe not with analog 5.1 input). If that fails, play the CD.

Thats listening to a downmix - not a "real" hi-rez stereo mix. However, Neil has stated no hi-rez stereo was supplied so its all moot anyway.

You can extract the downmix using DVDA Explorer & re-author if you don't want to have to keep on changing your settings :phones.

I just re-read your message - Is the Linear PCM on the DVD-V section OK?

Its still a downmix though....

That's disappointing that there's no hi-res stereo mix... that was a big reason I bought the deluxe edition :(

Hello All - New to the forum but long time viewer.

Question - I bought this CD/DVDA combo new and sealed off ebay retailer and notice the same thing, no hi-rez stereo mix and only will only play the DTS 5.1 layer on my home system, DVD disc will not read in my Acura at all. No DVD-A layer..... Sent Peaceville a note but no response yet. I haven't went back to the retailer yet as I'm sure he is clueless on this. Since I didn't buy this through Burning shed, is there a program to replace these or am I stuck with just the CD?

BTW - The music is great! Glad I found these guys, not much to chose from so good discovery for me.

Hello All - New to the forum but long time viewer.

Question - I bought this CD/DVDA combo new and sealed off ebay retailer and notice the same thing, no hi-rez stereo mix and only will only play the DTS 5.1 layer on my home system, DVD disc will not read in my Acura at all. No DVD-A layer..... Sent Peaceville a note but no response yet. I haven't went back to the retailer yet as I'm sure he is clueless on this. Since I didn't buy this through Burning shed, is there a program to replace these or am I stuck with just the CD?

BTW - The music is great! Glad I found these guys, not much to chose from so good discovery for me.

Welcome to QQ!!

If you look at the disc on a PC can you see any files under the AUDIO_TS folder?

Sounds like its a "copy"...

Thanks for the quick reply Lizard! I will check when I get home and report back. Define copy, like a bootleg bogus disc? Packaging looks authentic.....I guess.

Thanks for the quick reply Lizard! I will check when I get home and report back. Define copy, like a bootleg bogus disc? Packaging looks authentic.....I guess.

As in non-legit looking like a real one... Also is it a DVD-R?

Ok, nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder, completely empty. Video TS folder has 8 files, 1.4GB. Looked at the back of the packaging and all is the same except the DVD logo on my copy only shows DVD video logo, pics on the web show DVD Audio/Video logo. Guess Ive been had...crap!

Back