HiRez Poll Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Since to get the true stereo mix you have to go to the CD, I ripped it (it has yet another bonus track, "Second" that isn't listed on the case).

Has anyone else noticed that track 13, "Second" has horrible clicking and distortion? I listened to the version on YouTube and it was clean, but even playing the CD directly, it is a mess.

The CD doesn't appear to be in the AccurateRip database so either it just wasn't that popular or maybe I got a bad CD?

Where did you buy this? There is no 13th track on my cd, just the 12 listed on the back sleeve.

On a different note, I pre-ordered the "Dethroned and Uncrowned" cd/dvd-a from Amazon. It comes out next week. They say it's a Reinterpretation of "Dead End Kings" in its entirety in a supposedly stripped down version. Not sure if this means a different mix or a re-recording. Looks promising 'though!

The one I have is barcode 801056840226, catalog number SR07805-2. I got it from a third party seller on Amazon.

It might as well only have 12 tracks, because the 13th is unlistenable.

Same barcode as mine, but the catalog number is different. The one I got from Burning Shed is CDVILEF402X (on case and cd)

Mine was purchased from Burning Shed as well, and only has 12 tracks. Catalog number is "CDVILEF402X " just like Beelz's.

My CD was also present in the Accuraterip database. It is very strange that yours has 13 tracks.

Looking forward to "Dethroned and Uncrowned"!!

You can see here http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/0fe4c6e4-a03e-4082-b896-8ab54994614b that there was a deluxe edition with 13 tracks, including "Second". But on that version the last two tracks are reversed compared to mine (Second is track 12). Very strange indeed.

Very strange indeed. It sucks that the 13th track sounds bad, but I guess you aren't really missing anything since the majority of us seem to have a 12 track CD. Is this track, "Second", a good one? I haven't heard it.

Ok, nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder, completely empty. Video TS folder has 8 files, 1.4GB. Looked at the back of the packaging and all is the same except the DVD logo on my copy only shows DVD video logo, pics on the web show DVD Audio/Video logo. Guess Ive been had...crap!

Update - The dvda disc mentioned in my post was not a copy/bootleg. Contacted Peaceville and they quickly sent me a proper DVDA disc, was a known issue. The CD has 13 tracks if that means anything. What a debacle, feel for Peaceville and all involved, but still amazed that this missed all their QC. Anyway, DVDA sounds great, light on the low end but much better than the last album.

Mine says DVD-Video and only mentions DTS on the back. There is no DVD-Audio. Can you listen to track 13 on the CD? Is it "Second"? and does it sound OK?

Mine says DVD-Video and only mentions DTS on the back. There is no DVD-Audio. Can you listen to track 13 on the CD? Is it "Second"? and does it sound OK?

Contact Peaceville for replacement DVDA disc, they responded quickly. Track 13 on the CD is Dead End Kings and it plays fine. No bonus tracks on DVDA.

I don't believe there is a track entitled "Dead End Kings". If the length is 3:34, listen to the lyrics and you will see that it is "Second" (follow the YouTube link above to double check it). I think the confusion comes from the lyric booklet which only contains information for the first 12 tracks, but the 13th "page" has "Dead End Kings" in the same font style and then the CD credits (not the song lyrics as on the other pages). Someone on discogs or someplace misinterpreted that as the track name and hence the confusion.

Interesting that yours sounds OK, mine sounds like it was put through some kind of distortion addition filter. If I can figure out how to attach a snippet I will.

Try this http://www.cheezmo.com/second.zip

Looks like a bootleg. If you check on discogs, there is only one official cd/dvd version, with 12 tracks on the cd and it is dvd-a. Some of these Amazon sellers don't always have the official releases.
I only saw it on Burning Shed and Peaceville. Even Katatonia's official merch site omerch.eu had it "coming soon" for a while before they completely took it down! I saw the band live a year ago, right after the release, and they only sold the standard edition cd at their table.

Well, the catalog number, SR07805-2 is a Scarecrow Records catalog number and Scarecrow Records does appear on the label along with Peaceville. Searching for Scarecrow Records leads to "OZ Productions" which looks to be a Mexican distributor and this listing ... http://www.ozproductions.com/discos_pop.php?id=1696 which has the same part number.

So, a Mexican bootleg or perhaps licensed to a legitimate Mexican label?

I don't believe there is a track entitled "Dead End Kings". If the length is 3:34, listen to the lyrics and you will see that it is "Second" (follow the YouTube link above to double check it). I think the confusion comes from the lyric booklet which only contains information for the first 12 tracks, but the 13th "page" has "Dead End Kings" in the same font style and then the CD credits (not the song lyrics as on the other pages). Someone on discogs or someplace misinterpreted that as the track name and hence the confusion.

Interesting that yours sounds OK, mine sounds like it was put through some kind of distortion addition filter. If I can figure out how to attach a snippet I will.

Try this http://www.cheezmo.com/second.zip

Interesting.... Haven't played the cd but once, just listen to the dvda in the car. Did rip the cd into iTunes and it plays fine, no distortion.

Well, the catalog number, SR07805-2 is a Scarecrow Records catalog number and Scarecrow Records does appear on the label along with Peaceville. Searching for Scarecrow Records leads to "OZ Productions" which looks to be a Mexican distributor and this listing ... http://www.ozproductions.com/discos_pop.php?id=1696 which has the same part number.

So, a Mexican bootleg or perhaps licensed to a legitimate Mexican label?

Crazy stuff huh!! Well, love the music, thats two big scores for me off this forum, Porcupine Tree being the other.

Peaceville is sending me a corrected DVD-Audio (as a DVD-R) as mine just had dts on it and no DVD-Audio despite the label saying it was DVD Audio

Back