Music DVD Poll The Tea Party - Illuminations (Dolby/DTS 5.1 DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD of "Illuminations" by The Tea Party

• 10 - Superb mix, video & extras

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor mix, video & extras

• 1 - waste of plastic

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts, comments & observations on this Dolby/DTS-DVD(y)(n)

Attachments

• 41YNCBHW0AL.jpg
    41YNCBHW0AL.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 450
Great music, great immersive mix, wonderful dynamics. Really cool that it has an option to play the DTS soundtrack only without watching the videos - and, if you watch the videos, you get optional lyrics. I'm really happy I found out about this disc and the band, they have an amazing style that's unique in many ways (especially for the Middle-Eastern and Indian influences in their music). The songs have a nice degreee of complexity, too.

Why only an 8? 1 point less because it's lacking in the sub department. I don't know how it sounds on a system with full range speakers, but it lacks punch on my boxed system with small speakers + sub. It's still enjoyable at 200 Hz crossover, but I would have liked more bass overall. And I'm subtracting another point because it's over after 60 minutes. I hear there's more videos out there that could have been included, and with a band as cool as this, I would have loved to see (mostly: hear) them.

Overall, great disc.

This is a sweet release. The mix and music is really good. Thank you to all the members that brought this to my attention. I rate it a very solid 8.

Thanks to The Bright Side for reminding me about this DVD. I've owned it for a decade, because The Tea Party are probably my favorite Canadian band through the 90s. But, I bought it before I went head-over-heels into surround music, and basically I didn't realize how good this sounded!!

I don't find the bottom-end lacking at all. In fact, I found the balance nearly perfect. "Sister Awake", for example, is literally thunderous!

The mix is quite good. It is not super aggressive, however. I found that the mixes, in general, got more adventurous as the DVD went on. I am not sure in what order Jeff Martin & Nick Blagona mixed them, but perhaps they got more comfortable mixing in 5.1 after a few tracks. To my knowledge, neither of them have mixed in 5.1 before.

The sound quality is very good even though not hi-res. It is a 1.5Mbps DTS stream.

The icing on the cake is the videos. Most of them are very well done and entertaining to watch. "Sister Awake" is brilliant. "Babylon" is also very cool, shot in a single sequence. There is also audio commentary from the band on each of the videos, which is interesting for fans like myself.

This is out of print, but currently available cheap on Ebay. I highly recommend picking up a copy while you still can. I give it a 9... 10 for the music, and 8 for the mix.

Hey SMS, that is very interesting about the low end. Do you have large front speakers?

Yes, I have large front speakers that extend down to 35 Hz or so. My other speakers are also fairly large, and extend down to 50Hz.

But, I believe I have my bass management set up to redirect all bass below 50Hz (maybe 60hz), on all speakers, to the sub. My sub is a pretty good one, an SVS 20-39 PC-Plus, so I found it was best to redirect all the really deep bass to it.

Gave this one an 8. I like most of the material and the videos are quite nice. That guy is seriously channeling Morrison, though lol... I only discovered this band about a year ago (they aren't wildly popular in the states) when a friend of mine gave me a copy of their last album (at the time) that contained Writings on the Wall - which is a freaking brick sandwich of a rock song. I wish this DVD came out later so that it included stuff from that album.

I found that some of the mixes, particularly on Temptation, lacked some of the low-end that it needed to come across with the same kind of strength that the stereo track of it has. But overall, it's pretty nice.

Back