Robert Ferbrache's two older mixes - Uphollow and Ian Cooke (5.1 dts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got round to listening to Lilium's "Short Stories" really liked the album and the mix, I'd only managed to get the CD of 16 Horsepower's "Secret South" and liked that too - so if I can find the DVD-A at a sensible price I'll get a copy. I've still got the Munly & Uphollow surround discs to listen to - the pile of discs to listen to has grown so its going to take a while!

I got these all around the same time. Also the Uphollow and Ian Cooke. I will have to listen to the Munly again as I don't remember it. Secret South is great but Short Stories is superb IMO

I'm not sure why I am so brain dead, totally missed on these.
Now I am really curious about the Ian Cooke and Uphollow as listened to some mp3 samples from amazon and I think this is up my alley more so than the Lilium and 16 Horsepower which I have and I don't listen to often as can not get into them(they are well done but goth country,they have there own sound but kinda depressing listen). I will retry listen of those again to see if my mind changes on them but am more excited about the Ian Cooke and Uphollow as they sound similar to 'The Vicar's Songbook', must be the similar chamber pop style, is that a fair comparison.
I can't check the bandcamp site from work so will have to check when I get home to see what's still available.
Any other thoughts from people here as to what they like about them please fill me in.

peter

Both the Uphollow & Ian Cooke are sort of The Vicar vs ELO's 1st album..... done of course in a Denver Scene "Southern gothic" sort of way...:eek:

Hi all - Ian from Uphollow / Ian Cooke here. Thanks once again for all of the interest.
Wow, the Vicar's Songbook is really interesting. I've never heard of that album, and I'm definitely going to order the surround mix! Recently I've been listening to Night At The Opera and Rumours in 5.1, seems in the same vein.

For those curious on the Uphollow / Ian Cooke story. The very short version is that they are both the same band.

Slightly longer version is that Uphollow started in 1992. Our sound changed quite a bit on each album. Not sure if that's good or bad, but we were very young so that's what happens I suppose. We wrote a rock opera/concept album in 1998, sort of a progressive-rock/Fugazi thing.
In 2001 I was looking for a cellist to play on the next album Ten Fingers, and Ian Cooke joined the band.
We put out our final album in 2005: Jackets For The Trip. I recorded and mixed it and then asked Bob Ferbrache to master it, and do a surround mix. We became good friends and have been since. The 5.1 mix is much better than the stereo mix. (we also re-tracked vocals on two songs) The dvd also features visuals to accompany the music.

Same band except for a new drummer released Ian Cooke's The Fall I Fell in 2007. In 2009 we released the DVD version of it, with a 5.1 mix by Bob. (the 5.1 also features bass guitar, which wasn't on the cd). It's a concept album about unrequited love. The dvd also features the lyrics, and the entire album backwards (!), and in 5.1.
Sometime in this period Bob took down his 5.1 setup and that was the last 5.1 album he has worked on.
After I made another rock opera, concept album, continuous music thing in 2010 and called it Eolian. It is the same drummer that plays with Ian Cooke and sonically is in the realm of '90s guitar rock mixed with prog rock. Fugazi vs Jethro Tull again, I guess. Bob and I mixed it.
Then Ian Cooke released Fortitude in 2011. It's more progressive-rock and Queen influenced than The Fall I Fell. More diverse, and not a concept album. Again, Bob and I mixed it.
We also play in other bands and such, but that's the basic Uphollow / Ian Cooke story.
I hope that's not too weird, or too much info, and helps answer some questions!

In regards to other stuff. I can't recommend the Munly and the lee lewis harlots album enough, in terms of a great 5.1 mix. It's a sad and intense album for sure, but it is really, really well done.
http://www.midheaven.com/item/munly-the-lee-lewis-harlots-by-munly-cddvd

I'd be curious on your opinions on what you like, as 5.1 fans and aficionados. How do you want the future of 5.1 to be?

I can't thank you enough for your interest and support. Seriously, it's nice to see interest on albums that didn't find ears 10 years ago. We do it because we love it, and it's nice that some folks are hearing it that haven't seen us in Denver or on tour.
- Ian O
http://iancooke.bandcamp.com/
http://uphollow.bandcamp.com/album/jackets-for-the-trip
http://eolian.bandcamp.com/

Reactions: GOS
uh oh! I've been QQ'ed again! Thanks so much for all of your interest and orders.
Serious problem: The count on bandcamp wasn't updated and we actually only had 1 copy of The Fall I Fell. I'm really sorry and I'm not sure of the best and most professional way to proceed. The first purchaser will get the last physical DVD and I can make DVDRs for the other 4 discs ordered. OR - if you'd prefer, I can refund your money. I will email you directly via [email protected]. I'm sorry and apologize for not keeping better track of physical inventory, and not updating the bandcamp count. However, I WANT YOUR OPINIONS:

I am debating making other 5.1 mixes - of the Ian Cooke Fortitude album, and also debating updating the The Fall I Fell dvd before repressing 500 or 1000 dvds. I'd like to improve it, and make the "story" section longer and more detailed.

Serious question: how do you feel about dvd-Rs? I can make small runs and ship them out.

The Uphollow DVD is still in stock and I will ship the orders of that. We have around 100 copies and will likely not repress physically.

I understand the frustration with the lack of surround releases. I have a bunch of surround releases and really pushed to make the 5.1 Uphollow disc in 2004, and the Ian Cooke disc in 2007 - both with Bob Ferbrache. By the time we made Ian Cooke's Fortitude in 2011, we didn't have the time or money to do a 5.1 mix, and didn't do one - even though it really would've fit the progressive-rock feel of Fortitude. It wasn't until later that I found out about QQ, and this great group. I recently produced another Ian Cooke DVD for his animated video Cassowary & Fruit Bat, which includes many music videos, and many many live videos. Unfortunately, none of it is in 5.1. I regret it, and wish I had done one myself.

I just got off the phone with Bob. I asked him about his available 5.1 mixes: (band, album, then the label where it is likely available)
NON - Mute
Lilium, short stories - Smooch
Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots - Alternative Tentacles http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=861&sd=Zs42sMcUcYshu@YB2rQ
16 Horsepower, Secret South - Alternative Tentacles
Ian Cooke, The Fall I Fell - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/
Uphollow, Jackets For The Trip - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/

In my opinion the Munly album is the best Bob 5.1 mix.

Well, I have emailed Ian O. about some of the products and am really impressed and have ordered a few things from them.

In this day and age where we are having to pay $100 for a cd plus book from the major labels I see this Ian Cooke title is $18(had to check again, yes it really is just $18 for cd\dvd and 44 page book), well I have ordered it as looks like a very interesting artistic project:
http://iancooke.bandcamp.com/album/cassowary-fruit-bat-collection

Look forward to getting this, it doesn't have 5.1 but looks like it has quite a bit of music to listen to from cd and dvd.
I have ordered the Uphollow as well.
I have had a relisten to Lilium and 16 Horsepower this week and might order the Munly one as see its available a few different places.

peter

Well I got my copy of Uphollow-Jacket for the Trip and I really like it. The mix is very well done and is a modern mastering with not as much dynamic room as I would like but I still highly recommend this for anyone else here wanting to get something new to them that they might have over looked or not thought about buying. I would give this album at least a 8 out of 10 score as the music is great, the only reduction of a perfect score of 10 is the mastering on the album.
I enjoy the fact that Uphollow has 3 different vocalists so there alone you get some interesting variety.

If Ian O. is reading I would love it if they could do a 5.1 of Ian Cooke-Fortitude,this a really strong album as has way more musical layers to it than Ian C's album(The Fall I Fell). I am amazed how good The Fall I Fell sounds even though most of the album consists of one vocalist and one instrument the cello that Ian Cooke plays, very impressive.

peter

listening now again to Munly and the Lupercalians Petr & the Wulf album. Stereo LP, 8 songs. Similar to the Lee Lewis Harlots album but with less emphasis on drums and more on keyboards and melody. A bit more ambient. Also fun to re-read some of these comments that introduced me to the forum a few years ago. Now full circle with the Ian Cooke Antiquasauria album.
Petr & the Wulf is a great album, worth a listen.

Just listened to Uphollow-Jacket for the Trip again. The mix is very nice - I did not try cranking it so I did not notice the mastering limitation mentioned elsewhere.

I found the music to be quirky, so I would say if anyone is considering this one they should listen to a few tracks before buying. If you like the music, the mix is adventuresome and enjoyable.

For me this one is not a favorite and so much other great stuff has come down the pike lately that it will be hard for me to get this one back in the player. My closing impression is that this project feels like a real labor of love, with creative visuals accompanying the music and some very excellent playing. This one comes down to style. In this case the style is just off what I prefer. But I would not discourage you from checking into it!

Thought I would revive this thread, as I recently ordered Ian Cooke's "Fall I Fell" and "Flight I Flew" and the package arrived from Ian today (super fast shipping through Bandcamp!). I started with "The Fall I Fell" and this one is another winner. I picked up "Antiquasauria" a while back based on recommendations here and I love that album - "Fall" has that same quirky chamber-pop vibe and the mix/sonics are just fantastic. Plus, the disc is packed with so many extras that I've barely had a chance to dig through yet -what a deal compared to so many of the bloated box sets released by the big companies these days!

Speaking of those extras, I read above (and elsewhere) that the DVD of "Fall I Fell" actually includes two different 5.1 mixes as well as a "backwards" version of the album, also in 5.1. Are those accessible through the DVD menu, or are they hidden somewhere? I didn't notice those options when I popped in the disc, but then again, I haven't really investigated everything, so I figured I would ask here. Can anyone provide more info?

Thought I would revive this thread, as I recently ordered Ian Cooke's "Fall I Fell" and "Flight I Flew" and the package arrived from Ian today (super fast shipping through Bandcamp!). I started with "The Fall I Fell" and this one is another winner. I picked up "Antiquasauria" a while back based on recommendations here and I love that album - "Fall" has that same quirky chamber-pop vibe and the mix/sonics are just fantastic. Plus, the disc is packed with so many extras that I've barely had a chance to dig through yet -what a deal compared to so many of the bloated box sets released by the big companies these days!

Speaking of those extras, I read above (and elsewhere) that the DVD of "Fall I Fell" actually includes two different 5.1 mixes as well as a "backwards" version of the album, also in 5.1. Are those accessible through the DVD menu, or are they hidden somewhere? I didn't notice those options when I popped in the disc, but then again, I haven't really investigated everything, so I figured I would ask here. Can anyone provide more info?
I'll have to see if I can find my copies!! I don't remember.

The new version was released 3 years ago but it feels like decades ago. It's crazy how much has changed since then.
The backwards album was only interesting to me, I think. haha! Has anyone heard it?
I did that in 2009 and it influenced me to make all sorts of music with backwards instruments since. I popped the DVD in and couldn't find it, but honestly I could've put it on as an easter egg, I don't remember. I know for sure it is on the 2009 DVD, but I don't remember if I had space to do 5.1. Actually, I'll look... haha
Feel free to ask other questions, obviously my memory is trustworthy...

ok, looks like the backwards album is stereo and starts at the end of the album as credits roll on the 2009 DVD.
Yep @ogrequad there are two 5.1 mixes. Bob's mix is wonderful and powerful. It is also pretty compressed and heavy on effects as many mixes of that time were, and as was his style. A rock mix, basically. I tried to go in and do from a more natural perspective. Honestly I think my mix misses some of the power. On a positive side it brings on less fatigue, and is more accurate to how we sounded. It's weird to hear it because my opinion changes every time.

The 2017 DVD has a bunch of other stuff though; we did a commentary track where Cooke and I share some background on all of it. Bob Ferbrache actually is in there for a tiny bit too. He is in Vermont now, and Cooke is in North Carolina. I haven't seen either in quite a while so it was interesting to hear their voices.
Also there are a couple more recent videos on the DVD of us playing those songs with the Colorado Symphony. I wish I could release our two sets with them in 5.1 on bluray. Maybe someday. It was really magical to be able to play with them three times. The conductor was an absolute genius and the players were robots. It was very odd.
Ah, what else about The Fall I Fell...some videos, a reeaallly old doc I made about how we made it which is embarrassing but funny. I knew it was a really well-written album when we recorded, but I didn't know yet, you know? This was the beginning of a really wonderful creative streak for Cooke.

Cool...Thanks for the added info. I just poked around the DVD and noticed that the videos are 5.1 as well. I'll be checking those out tomorrow. Also, both 5.1 mixes (Bob's and yours) are on the 2017 DVD, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Bob's is the main menu mix, but if you click the "2017 Commentary/Surround" there are two audio tracks available - one is the commentary track and the other is a 5.1 mix. I'm assuming that's the one you did?

ok, looks like the backwards album is stereo and starts at the end of the album as credits roll on the 2009 DVD.
Yep @ogrequad there are two 5.1 mixes. Bob's mix is wonderful and powerful. It is also pretty compressed and heavy on effects as many mixes of that time were, and as was his style. A rock mix, basically. I tried to go in and do from a more natural perspective. Honestly I think my mix misses some of the power. On a positive side it brings on less fatigue, and is more accurate to how we sounded. It's weird to hear it because my opinion changes every time.

The 2017 DVD has a bunch of other stuff though; we did a commentary track where Cooke and I share some background on all of it. Bob Ferbrache actually is in there for a tiny bit too. He is in Vermont now, and Cooke is in North Carolina. I haven't seen either in quite a while so it was interesting to hear their voices.
Also there are a couple more recent videos on the DVD of us playing those songs with the Colorado Symphony. I wish I could release our two sets with them in 5.1 on bluray. Maybe someday. It was really magical to be able to play with them three times. The conductor was an absolute genius and the players were robots. It was very odd.
Ah, what else about The Fall I Fell...some videos, a reeaallly old doc I made about how we made it which is embarrassing but funny. I knew it was a really well-written album when we recorded, but I didn't know yet, you know? This was the beginning of a really wonderful creative streak for Cooke.

Hey Ian--

Thanks for all this behind-the-scenes info. So, Question: if I bought the 5.1 FLAC download of The Flight I Flew, is that Bob's mix or yours? I love it, but the FOMO in me is wishing now that I'd ordered the physical disc so that I could hear both!

Back