What's spinning on the turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil Diamond "Touching Me... Touching You"

I gather there's some alternate mixes of Sweet Caroline. This is the UK edition of the album which has the track tagged on the end of side 1. No idea which mix it is in the scheme of things though.

In the US "Caroline" was added to 2nd and subsequent pressings of BROTHER LOVE'S TRAVELING SALVATION SHOW. I don't remember it being remixed--there is a dedicated mono mix and the original stereo mix, and the Lp's are stereo.

ED :)

Their '80's reunion album The Thirteenth Dream is especially strong. FANTASTIC versions of their best known songs and some strong new ones. US LP has different title/cover. Same music.
Euro LP/CD:
View attachment 13496

US LP:
View attachment 13495

This one! UK or US LP if you have a pref.
Mike

PS. I just got Spirit Clear and waiting to give it a whirl tomorrow...

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I've never owned the US Spirit of '84. I've only owned the EU LP and CD. At my behest, one of my friends picked up the US LP as a new release. Although I have heard the US version on his system, I've never a/b'ed it to the EU on my own system. Sadly, it would still be apples to oranges, since I only own the CD version today. Sorry I can't be more help than that. I would presume the Thirteenth Dream LP would be better, in that the EU vinyl would be quieter.

For you hard core Spirit folks, there was an EU 12" 45 rpm single in the day with 1984 and I Got a Line on You from the Thirteenth Dream (Spirit of '84) LP and a newly recorded version of Elijah, which was left off the album. Everything on the single and albums are either new songs or KILLER new recordings of their old stuff. I still have that one and have no intention of parting with it.
Spirit+-+1984+-+12%u002522+RECORD%u00252FMAXI+SINGLE-281171.jpg
281171b.jpg

Linda,
My mistake, I was talking about Spirit Thirteenth dream (meant to reply with quote).

Clear is the least great of Spirit's four albums by the original group. The group felt they hadn't enough time to do it. Likely why there are a handful of instrumentals. Still, it would easily rank in my 100 favorite albums. It IS a fantastic album, nevertheless.

PS. I just got Spirit Clear and waiting to give it a whirl tomorrow...

3315791095_06c49f6967.jpg
For those who've never heard Clear, here's a couple tracks:
Dark Eyed Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh9bYPb6tkY
I'm Truckin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn8nUt4slm8
New Dope in Town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1djhyum2Lg

Hi MyCuff - Camel "Camel" is very cool but I love Mirage. I have most of Camel's releases (Camel, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, I can see your house from here, Rain dances, Nude, etc.) but Mirage does it for me everytime - the UK pressing sounds better (I have it and the US release - with the moon camel cover). It is easy to overlook how popular they must have been and still are. I have heard that Andrew Latimer has recovered from his (serious) illness, which is great news, and they may do some short tours this year or next! They did a "Retirement sucks" gig in Reading, which I missed thanks to a stupid course that someone had signed me up for.

I have just pulled out
MFSB TSOP SQ
Played with the "surround master" (there I have said it again)
A great LP good surround mix and best of all
great Music rear solo's
I still like a bit of Disco now and then

Hi MyCuff - Camel "Camel" is very cool but I love Mirage. I have most of Camel's releases (Camel, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, I can see your house from here, Rain dances, Nude, etc.) but Mirage does it for me everytime - the UK pressing sounds better (I have it and the US release - with the moon camel cover). It is easy to overlook how popular they must have been and still are. I have heard that Andrew Latimer has recovered from his (serious) illness, which is great news, and they may do some short tours this year or next! They did a "Retirement sucks" gig in Reading, which I missed thanks to a stupid course that someone had signed me up for.

A.S.
I am still on the hunt for a UK Deram Mirage. Will post my thoughts once I get one...

As usual, a lot of stuff...but today, pulled out an oldie but goodie, Wild Man Steve's MY MAN! WILD MAN! from 1969. Released in 1969 on the indie Raw label, this album was the first 'X-rated' comedy Lp I know of to have made any national chart. Steve was Steve Gallion, a black disc jockey who had worked out of Boston and Miami, among other cities. He moonlighted as a standup comedian with his trademark being the way everyone who encountered him said his name ("Why-hi-hi-hi-ild Man). He was the least raunchy (though still raunchy enough) and among the youngest (with Richard Pryor) of the young blacks working a comedy underground that sold a lot of records and sold out club appearances but no mainstream success (until Pryor broke out in 1973). This album is a collection of a few dozen pieces edited together, with what sounds like an overdubbed jazz trio (piano, bass, brushes) in stereo. Amazing how little the album has dated beyond a few words here and there. Not as bitingly hilarious as Richard Pryor in his prime, or as dementedly raunchy as Rudy Ray Moore any time, but the Wild Man was very adept, quick, and clever, and it's surprising, listen to his Raw Lp's, how he didn't eventually cross over as other did. He's been gone almost a decade now, but if you missed him and dig this kind of humor, well worth a listen.

ED :)

Beautiful and haunting instrumental violin music from Greece in the 1920's. Similar to the Greek Rembetika of the same era, but without the drug and other underworld references. A great and surprising find from this year's Record Store Day. Cover art by R. Crumb.

zoumbas.jpg

Lovely talented and sexy (of course , a Skorpio!)
KATY PERRY- Prism
R-5170206-1386421368-8932.jpeg

EDIT: A poster would have been a nice extra...hubba hubba!!!

Giving my Technics TT a workout today...
Billy Squier-Don't say no -flimsy US pressing with a NASTY warp at the edge....had to play it twice cause it skipped in a section on the 1st sog...2nd time it was fine..and cleaner...got a very pleasant surprise when I found out that this LP had a song I used to love back then and hadn't heard in AGES!!! : "Nobody knows"

Recent spinnings on my TT. Some are Record Store Day purchases. Also, went to a Record Show a couple of weeks ago. Lots of nice stuff!

Pixies Indie Cindy
The Pogues with Joe Strummer Live In London
Dexter Gordon Go (Music Matters Reissue)
Tina Brooks True Blue (Music Matters Reissue)
Eagles S/T First Japanese Pressing
Grateful Dead From The Mars Hotel (Mofi)
Duke Ellington Blues In Orbit (Classic Records Reissue)

Beautiful and haunting instrumental violin music from Greece in the 1920's. Similar to the Greek Rembetika of the same era, but without the drug and other underworld references. A great and surprising find from this year's Record Store Day. Cover art by R. Crumb.

View attachment 13999
I have Greek roots and love the old rembetika. This compilation sounds interesting!

Back