What's spinning on the turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come (mono), followed by Gotan Project - Tango 3.0

Def Leppard - Pyromania. If anyone would have told me 30 years ago that today I would be listening to this same album while sipping an expresso made from a $1000 machine in a tiny little cup that said Illy, I would have said "Gunter glieben glauchen globen", which is just the same as saying "nonsense"!

Keane- Strangeland (clicky as hell, but much better than the over the top sibilance full "Perfect Symmetry")

BTW, "Neon River" ia a freakin' masterpiece..

and Side B of Bowie's "The Next Day"...."I'd rather be high"...wonder what he means????

Def Leppard - Pyromania. If anyone would have told me 30 years ago that today I would be listening to this same album while sipping an expresso made from a $1000 machine in a tiny little cup that said Illy, I would have said "Gunter glieben glauchen globen", which is just the same as saying "nonsense"!
If someone would have told me 30 years ago that in October 2013 my son will attend a Black Sabbath concert I would have said: "¿Estás loco o te dan ataques?".

I've been previewing a few recent Goodwill finds. Had a chance last night to listen to Mason Proffit - Rockfish Crossing. This is a 1972 release by a folk/rock band out of Chicago. One of those groups I never really heard anything about back in 72. Side one of the album is studio stuff and side two has some live cuts. Not bad. I think it might grow on me as I listen to it more. Love discovering groups that I never listened to back in the day.

Tonight it's Steppenwolf 7 and Jimi Hendrix The Cry of Love. Both in real nice shape, which is a happy bonus. I really like the Steppenwolf album even though it does not contain any of their big hits. It's an album I will definitely be listening to again and again.

The Hendrix album is in good shape too. I've heard this one in other formats, but first time I've listened to it on vinyl, which is a real treat.

Last edited:
Thelonious Monk: Straight No Chaser
Hank Mobley : Dippin' (part of the blue note collection re-issue cut at 45 RPM)

I never noticed this thread before, but since I just made a trip to my favorite $1.00/album store, I will reveal that right now I'm spinning "Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits volume 2) by The Rolling Stones. The last time I heard this album was sometime in the 1970s when, as a child, I checked it out from the public library. It's gonna need a lot of declicking, but I think Adobe Audition will be up to the task. Other dollar vinyl purchased tonight - "Dear Friends (Firesign Theatre), "Last Train to Hicksville (Dan Hicks) "Stereo Dynamics to Scare the Hell out of Your Neighbors (Various - Google it) and an unmarked test pressing which turned out to be a split album between Amalgamation and Left In Ruins (punk rock not to my liking).

J. D.

UHQR: The Alan Parson's Project I, Robot

Does anyone have any of these recordings. I know there were 8 albums released and I only have 1 of these. I remember back in the day these albums were expensive and exclusive to only certain record shops. Today, these albums are going for outrageous prices especially if sealed. What good is that if you don't open it you can't enjoy it! but if your holding on to these albums just to sell them to make money well one can do that. I have to admit I have sealed albums one of which is The Beatles (white album) MFSL 2-072. Since I have other versions of this including 1970's Vinyl no way I will open this album. :) Not going to sell it either. What's your take?
Charlie

Here is the list of UHQR: UHQR 1-005 Supertramp Crime of the Century, UHQR 1-017 Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon, UHQR 1-025 Earl Klugh Finger Paintings, UHQR 1-035 Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman
UHQR 1-084 Alan Parsons Project I, Robot, UHQR 1-100 The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, UHQR 1-507 Maazel, Cleveland Symphony Orchestra Feste Romane, UHQR 1-510 Sir George Solti, London Philharmonic Holst: The Planets

Not in any type of order: Just the facts man, just the facts.
personally, I like to get my paws on two more of theses LP's 1 of course DSOTM, the other Earl Klugh finger paintings.

box UHQR (5).jpg

Best I can do with a Logitech webcam..I don't play that album very often..I made a digital copy and basically put it away...but got it out today and gave it a spin, still sounds real good.

Charlie

Quad Kitty,
that "Beatles box set collection you have shown is sweet...very hard to find today. The Beatles released both stereo and mono sets analog and digital. I'm still looking to get that Beatles box collection set...yeah be prepared to pay top $$ for that i'm sure.

a VERY BAD US pressing of Yes "Tormato" that I bought for $2.99 USD (as a cutout, plunderers!) in Sound of Market (St.) in Philly in 1982...it's one of those that looks really good and when you play it...
WHAM!!!
and mind you, it's an LP I have taken care of...like most of my collection...

this is gonna give my ClickRepair a REAL workout...not only a lot of surface noise but a LOT of HUGE snaps!!!!!

It is quite a good LP, the production is not as bad as I remember it (they produced it themselves), but it really shows their lack of ..."knowledge" in places like the drums in "Onthe Silent Wings of Freedom", where it sounds like an early 70's drumset...no EQ, rever, or anything, it's probably FLAT..you can even hear the "small" room that it was recorded in...

The vocals are ok, as is the rest...

Hey Kap'n ..all you can do is last resort is wash that record....dish liquid and warm water...what do you have to lose. I have done that as a "Last resort"...works at times...then give it a good VPI cleaning. I have two LP's that I have No choice...1957 101 strings is one of them..heavy vinyl rice crispies and ticks so off in the sink it goes...i'll let you know if it worked out..That Bette Milder LP (CD-4) is like that also..it was a sealed copy. I guess from all the years in that paper sleeve...Yuck!! I wash that one as well. : - )

last evening while working on my vinyl record database...played Queen II remastered version...Oh did that sound great! As of now I have a total of 20 quad LP's (yeah a piker compared to the folks here in this forum) but record show coming on Sunday in Allentown, pa..i'm going

Hey Kap'n ..all you can do is last resort is wash that record....dish liquid and warm water...what do you have to lose. I have done that as a "Last resort"...works at times...then give it a good VPI cleaning. I have two LP's that I have No choice...1957 101 strings is one of them..heavy vinyl rice crispies and ticks so off in the sink it goes...i'll let you know if it worked out..That Bette Milder LP (CD-4) is like that also..it was a sealed copy. I guess from all the years in that paper sleeve...Yuck!! I wash that one as well. : - )

Oh yeah, I wash then THOROUGHLY with cold water ( I tried warm water once and it warped my "best of Seals and Crofts", never again!), then some alcohol rinse with a nice brush and then distilled water with Quad Bob's(back when he was still...well....ALIVE!) solution..
and I play them damp(not wet)! Which to me works much better than dry...
I guess you can't win 'em all..compared to Donald Fagen's "Sunken Condos" which has been the best pressing I ever heard in my life (and taking into account the late 70's early 80's MFSL LPs I bought), this one just BITES...

ah well..I guess if I really want it I should get a Jap pressing (pre radioactive!)

Thanks for the advice and BEWARE warm water...

2/3 water, 1/3 alcohal and a couple of drops dish washing liquid. Make about a cup at a time. Use a untreated tissue and clean the record while it's spinning with the dampened tissue.

Back