What's spinning on the turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy duty mix for nasty records using the VPI: deionized water, Last Power Cleaner and 91% alcohol and Last Record Cleaner. Seams to work well for me on nasty records. Of course you have to clean your brush and pickup very well.

I use the Discwasher fluid, or alcohol/distilled water mix. Discwasher brush is okay if you understnd there will be surface noise for a good amount off plays. If you are really serious and want to leave the least amount of surface noise, use those eyeglasses cleaning cloths. The good kind, not the slippery worthless kind. Not the disposble kind. The kind that is heavy. This will leaves less surface noise than Discwsher Brush, microfiber cloth (it seems like a good idea and a lot of people use them but it is terrible), lint free/low lint cotton. No matter what you use, the drying is key. The drying also lifts more crud. I dry till my arm hurts. Dry untill the vinyl is completely shiny. The investment of time (and arm workout) is worth it if you want them to sound good. Most VPI cleaned discs I've heard have as much or more noise as discwasher brush or lint free cotton shammy. I don't see it as a good investment other than it takes less time and physical work. People swear buy them in an almost cultlike fashion. Its your money, its your records.

I find that the golden rule is that no cleaned record is going to sound as good as a record that never got dirty.

2/3 water, 1/3 alcohal and a couple of drops dish washing liquid. Make about a cup at a time. Use a untreated tissue and clean the record while it's spinning with the dampened tissue.

No, do not use tissues-the lint will get caught in the grooves and will be picked up by the stylus, use KIMWIPES (no lint)---

Just picked up a sealed copy of Traffic"s 'Low spark of high heeled boy's" and it sounds so nice without the Snap, crackle and pop! :smokin

No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the Snap, Crackle and Pop on this one:
Charles_Hamilton_Snap_Crackle_Pop-front-large.jpg

Just picked up a sealed copy of Traffic"s 'Low spark of high heeled boy's" and it sounds so nice without the Snap, crackle and pop! :smokin

I've got a nice collection of Jazz LP's from Japan..also Blue Note/AcousTech by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman...that entire 25 LP's 45 rpm. Just Played Ike Quebec: Blue and Sentimental. Those recordings are totally clean...no noise just pure bliss!!

Current count on MFSL is 20 LP's. I usually go after these...not much on the new Gain II but the original ones...they sound better. Gain II is ok..

"
Oh yeah, I wash then THOROUGHLY with cold water ( I tried warm water once and it warped my "best of Seals and Crofts", never again!
), "

I clean all of my records with warm water and dishsoap then rinse well. I then get my compressor and blow them dry. I' ve never had a record warp and ive used hot water at times !!

Im listening to Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) "Eye of the storm" through my Marantz Matrix. What an excellent record- would be a great quad!!
Speaking of the best of Seals and Crofts, I have a factory recorded reel that was recorded at 7 1/2 IPS..what a sweet tape.

Hey TVB! Great LP Roger Hodgson "Eye of the storm" also that open reel of Seals and Crofts is a tough one to find!! Your scored that one!!

When I listened to Yes's Fragile yesterday I clean the record the old school way using Disc washer 4 fluid and and the brush. Still works :)

Back