Lucky Man - Which Surround Version Do You Prefer - Wilson or Kellogg??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fave Lucky Man Version??

• Total voters

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
What version do you prefer?

The new Steven Wilson mix on ELP's eponymous album, or

The Kellogg "classic" extra on Brain Salad Surgery?

Let us know what you think too!!!

Both have they're pro's. The BSS bonus sounds more like the original (single), the SW mix brings out parts like the harmony vocals in a (nice) new way. Both make good use of surround.
Maybe I'll play them right after each other, at some point, for fun to decide a vote for this poll.

Both have they're pro's. The BSS bonus sounds more like the original (single), the SW mix brings out parts like the harmony vocals in a (nice) new way. Both make good use of surround.
Maybe I'll play them right after each other, at some point, for fun to decide a vote for this poll.

I'm going to have to have another few listens before I vote, but I agree with the comments above. I also think the BSS version sounds a bit more "cohesive" or integrated.

I think its great to have two different mixes of the same track..

What version do you prefer?

The new Steven Wilson mix on ELP's eponymous album, or

The Kellogg "classic" extra on Brain Salad Surgery?

Let us know what you think too!!!

hmmm.. good question!

I've not listened to the new one yet but the original BSS DVDA version is amazing and probably the best thing on that old disc. it's got a gorgeous warm open airiness that I love.

My original is sealed (jewel box version) and I'm not opening it.

I voted the BSS mix.....:yikes

It just sounds more "cohesive" to me...

I do like them both though...

I voted the BSS mix.....:yikes

It just sounds more "cohesive" to me...

I do like them both though...

interesting..

was the original Rhino a Paul Klingberg/John Kellogg 5.1 mix?

I've never understood why they get a bad rap for their surround work!?

their DVD-A mixes (Foreigner, Foreigner 4, the latter mix in particular) are among my favourite surround discs!

The Rhino 'Lucky Man' has been a surround demo track for me for years. It's extremely well done. On first listen the Wilson mix didn't strike me as notably improved, but I've only listened once so far, with no attempt to balance playback levels. Since it seems that Wilson's mixes use less compression, possibly the new one could sound better at high playback levels.

I prefer the Eddie Offord mix, stereo with DPLII-Music. Nice fat (or phat if you prefer) ballsy analog mix pushed into the red, great balance of instruments and vocals, guitar solo is just right (no missing or extra notes), prominent Moog solo.
Eddie you are my hero, please come back and grace our ears again - in surround. (y)

I prefer the SW mix, the most glaring reason is the center channel and the use of the rears. The Rhino version uses the center channel only for the bass guitar? If you have the ability, isolate the center. It's an interesting listen, but it's just the bass. The SW version puts the background vocals in the rears after the first verse, which is something I like in a surround mix. It seems to my ears that the vocals, being in the center and backgrounds in the rears, are "crisper" and more defined than the Rhino.

Both do a good job with the Moog ending, each different and enjoyable in it's own way. For my vote, I'm going with the SW version, but of course, it's all subjective!

Those who want to see the wav files of both mixes and haven't checked out the HiRez Poll for this album, I posted a jpeg of the wav's in that thread.

I prefer the SW mix, the most glaring reason is the center channel and the use of the rears. The Rhino version uses the center channel only for the bass guitar? If you have the ability, isolate the center. It's an interesting listen, but it's just the bass. The SW version puts the background vocals in the rears after the first verse, which is something I like in a surround mix. It seems to my ears that the vocals, being in the center and backgrounds in the rears, are "crisper" and more defined than the Rhino.

Both do a good job with the Moog ending, each different and enjoyable in it's own way. For my vote, I'm going with the SW version, but of course, it's all subjective!

Those who want to see the wav files of both mixes and haven't checked out the HiRez Poll for this album, I posted a jpeg of the wav's in that thread.

Thanks Jon - Your wav file images made me think about creating this thread...:smokin

I prefer the SW mix. Some of my reasons:
1. Lake's vocals are more life-like (clearer, better fidelity)
2. The prominent background vocals (a contradiction of terms , I know) are nice throughout - at first they bothered me but now I'm liking them more and more
3. The end part with the moog is much more powerful with the juxtaposition of the strong bg vocals against the compelling moog. The other version misses that entirely.

I agree 100%. I liked the BSS bonus mix but I got goosebumps when I heard SW's. For me just a much fuller surround experience.

.. I've only listened once so far, with no attempt to balance playback levels.
I think it's fair to play the new mix some 4 to 5 dB louder (so the (lead) vocals are in the same league).
But this is a though one, I like what Steven has done with vocals and the Moog but the BSS mix has the bass and drums sounding more to my liking (no matter the bass only center).
For comparison I played the (stereo) versions on both the first and the second CD. The SW 5.1 mix seemed to follow the original mix rather well, the SW new stereo version improves on the original and is very pleasantly mastered (IMO). The only way (to me) to make the new Lucky Man 5.1 sound good (compared to the other mixes) is to turn it up much louder than any of the above. It may be the unmastered flat transfer and all that, but turned up LOUD it's a winner.

Back