Lucky Man - Which Surround Version Do You Prefer - Wilson or Kellogg??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fave Lucky Man Version??

• Total voters
I think it's fair to play the new mix some 4 to 5 dB louder (so the (lead) vocals are in the same league).

I agree, and have done some more listening at higher levels (though not comparison), which of course raises the impact factor. And I'm sure this mix can be played very loud indeed and still sound good. But in the end, the mix is still the mix, and my ears don't want to hear KE's Hammond sounding so subdued compared to other instruments, during the first minute or two of Tarkus.

I like both mixes, they both have their strong points but the John Kellogg mix is more powerful. I voted for Kelloggs mix.

Went with the Wilson mix. I really like the lush, immersive vocals and the pristine sound quality. Also, the much more prominent background "ooooh's" during the moog solo. Both mixes have their high points though, And I think it's great that we have two fantastic mixes of this great song. It's been interesting to show them both, back to back, with a few different people and hear their opinions, usually either liking the clarity of the wilson mix, or the oomph of the kellogg mix.

Also, tarkusnj, the counter at the top displays you voted for the wilson mix. :confused:

The Wilson mix, definitely!

Too bad he couldn't remix "Tank" due to missing multi tracks. A surround mix of that would completely make the 1st ELP DVD-A so much better! :)

just did another A:B today (for the umpteenth time)

My conclusion, the person, entity, alien, whatever that does a juxtaposition re-mix of the two TOGETHER becomes my instant Hero.

Original Kellog mix nails all deep bass, SW nails all the high notes and separation.

What could be better than a marriage of the two, especially since this thread seems split down the middle?

This thread reminds me of why we need constant surround remixes of songs, because no one's perspective is "correct", that's why they call it "perspective".

just did another A:B today (for the umpteenth time)

My conclusion, the person, entity, alien, whatever that does a juxtaposition re-mix of the two TOGETHER becomes my instant Hero.

Original Kellog mix nails all deep bass, SW nails all the high notes and separation.

What could be better than a marriage of the two, especially since this thread seems split down the middle?

This thread reminds me of why we need constant surround remixes of songs, because no one's perspective is "correct", that's why they call it "perspective".

Which reinforces my theory (I knoooow, you're thinking "here he goes again!!") that everybody hears stuff differently-no person , no system, no NOTHING is the same....it might come CLOSE, but no cigar...

I like them BOTH, although I'm more biased towards the Kellogg one, if only because , it was the first time I heard the FULL GLORY of Emerson's SYNTH solo ON RECORD which I had only heard ONCE before (when I was LUCKY ENOUGH -pun not intended- to see them live in Halloween 1992 in Madrid...man, that Moog bass..!!!)

Back