QS: Sansui QSD-1 4-Channel Synthesizer/Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Sansui QSD-1 4-Channel Synthesizer/Decoder

Rarity: SCARCE
Average Sale Price: $1K +

Often sells above $1000U.S. As I'm writing this, three are listed on ebay at between $1800 & $2000..!!
One sold in March 2012 in the U.S. for $1325.00

Update: Just thought I'd maybe add that the typical average above might vary dramatically depending where you are in the world, with an Australian multi-voltage QSD-1 going for $362.45AU in September of 2012...

Probably the ultimate vintage QS Synth/Decoder (..after the monumentally rare QSD-1000). A step up above the already great (QSD-2 based) QS synth decoders built into the QRX-x001 receivers. The QSD-1 works/decodes across 3 frequency bands instead of one in the QSD-2 and the decoding considered to be smoother.

The unit below is mine...A multi-voltage version I picked it up fairly recently and paid much, much less than the average I've listed. I haven't tested it proper yet as all my Quad amps are either currently not working properly (dead channels)....or just simply not working... :rolleyes:

Seeing I can't offer an "in use" assessment of this unit...I'll just quote QQ member "Gimmie 4" from post 9 of this thread,...Sansui QSD-1 Decoder...from a few years back...

..."I owned a QSD-2 for a couple of years. Worked pretty well but I could always hear it steering the positions of sounds when other sounds would influence the decoding. I heard the same unstable imaging effect with a friend's QRX-9001 receiver, not surprised since they shared pretty much the same single band decoder. When I got my QSD-1 I immediately noticed HUGE improvement in the stability of the synthesized 4 channel surround. Rock solid imaging! Things stayed put and didn't drift around! Much more than a just a subtle difference. My friend with the QRX-9001, after listening to the difference, got rid of the receiver and bought a QSD-1".

Sansui QSD 1 - Front1.jpg
Sansui QSD 1 - Rear1.jpg

The voltages this multi-voltage unit can be set for are 100/120/220/240V 50 or 60Hz -
According to the Serial Number build code, my unit was built in 1975.

P.S. Note that there is currently a modern Synth decoder (Reality Designs "Involve" decoder) that's been mentioned recently in QQ that may challenge this Sansui unit (..and maybe the QSD-1000) for supreme QS & QS synth decoding, and it works in 5.1 as well I believe. It's still being tested and tweaked as of mid-late 2012 and not yet commercially available. If it works out....expect the prices for the QSD-1 to drop dramatically.

Last edited:

...that's ebay for you,...$362.45 is a pretty good price for one of these...amazingly, not a lot of interest, only 5 bids...I guess most expect these to go nut's based on their previous sales. I did. With those three U.S. units hovering around $2K I would have expected this one to go for a lot more than it did...But you've always got a chance for a bargain when an auction ends at 8am on a Sunday Morning... :)

There was another Aussie QSD-1 that ended a week or so ago starting at $450 which no-one bid on. Somewhat surprising. I thought there were more Quad fans down here. Then again...I considered bidding on that, but changed my mind.

The new Reality Designs "Involve" decoder is a bit of a game changer here and I'd suspect a lot of people will hold off paying big bucks on a QSD-1 to see how this one turns out.

P.S. I added a reference to the Oz auction result to my OP.

Last edited:
Back