DVD/DTS Poll Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+LP]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ten Years After - A SPACE IN TIME

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Was this DVD authored by the same people who authored the Gentle Giant DVD with the screwed up channels?

To me it makes little sense to split Alvin Lee in half and put the guitar one place and the vocals in another. But given that's what they did on the quad mix, the guitar in front makes good sense to me. Vocals in the surrounds is commonplace. My question is where are the bass guitar and drums? the front or the back?

Amazon cannot give me a ship date so I may never get to hear this mixed-up mix regardless.

To me it makes little sense to split Alvin Lee in half and put the guitar one place and the vocals in another. But given that's what they did on the quad mix, the guitar in front makes good sense to me. Vocals in the surrounds is commonplace. My question is where are the bass guitar and drums? the front or the back?

Amazon cannot give me a ship date so I may never get to hear this mixed-up mix regardless.

I need to listen to it again to see exactly where everything is on the new DVD but when I played it through first time (with no other point of reference in quad, having never heard the quad mix as it was first released in the 70's) it just sounded "wrong" to me, somehow.

probably, though I'm not sure it's the authoring at fault so much as the transfer/mastering from the Quad tapes by Peter Mew/Abbey Road.. their track record is.. not good!
Well, there's the problem. Peter Mew. Too bad our leader didn't master it. Oh, woops, wrong forum.

SH wouldn't do it in surround anyway..
Like when they accidently received the quad master for GFRR American Band and sent it back. What a blown opportunity. I wonder if the two-eared one even played it for his own enjoyment. Doubt it.

Like when they accidently received the quad master for GFRR American Band and sent it back. What a blown opportunity. I wonder if the two-eared one even played it for his own enjoyment. Doubt it.

:yikes

really!? moronic.

the pervading air of "stereo snobbery" is a part of what keeps me from participating in the SHF forums (and to a lesser extent the forums on sa-cd.net).

What about those people with 7.1 ears. How do you clean the .1 one. Must be really small. Would a Q-tip fit in there?

A point off for the stuff up.... but this is an absolute classic....

As Linda says - its right up there in terms of Quad mixes... I just love Over The Hill, Baby won't you Let me Rock......is a hoot....

I also like the non-standard placements - that doesn't bother me..

Also - this is an improvement on the previous versions "out there", e.g. Robin Reel (once fixed)..

My package arrived today. Have not yet listened to what sounds like kind of a f***ed up quad mix on the dvd. However, I am enjoying the stereo LP right now. Wow, boy is it strange to listen to pristine virgin vinyl with not a trace of a snap, crackle or pop. For what it's workth, the album sounds great. Will check out the dvd later, but if the mix is as screwed up as people are reporting I'll likely use one of my existing quad mixes of this title for my future listening.

Sound is completely satisfying to me on this one, even if I have to turn my chair around or swap analogue outputs. I am tempted to record it on a Q4 to fix the channel assignments. Even so, I have to give it a 9.

To me this is one of the very few albums that musically are so superb that the mix sort comings can be over looked, I love this album, just turn your couch around and enjoy

I kept my couch as it was but turned the house around instead. Always sort of wanted my garage in the backyard, so why not?

After fixing the channel placement, this is great. Hard to believe this was so screwed up.

With the ongoing issues of quality control in multi-channel releases, it's harder to believe when they actually get it right these days.

Back