Roll back firmware on 93/95

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadsearcher

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Has anyone found a way to roll back a fully updated Oppo 93/95?
I have an original update disc, and now that they are discontinued I'm thinking of buying a used one.
Has this been tried? I wonder if there is a way to "reset" to factory new condition, and then update just to that last one that had the ISO feature.

Anyone tried this? What happened?

Thanks.

there is a discussion at the avs forum about that issue, and the answer is a resounding NO. BUt, new 93's are still floating around. The way I see it is any attempts will just turn the 93 into a brick.

It's cool to talk about it here. What one does with one's old player in no one's business. Although of course, folks should be careful not to turn one's player into a Brick!

This is ridiculous. Instead of trying to stop .ISO, movie studio's or whoever should not only embrace .ISO, but find a way To Make Money off of .ISO. Perhaps you change one's business model depending on the "whims" of how one's customers use technology. Or counter with better disc/download tech or way to sell for what's already built into the units. Things change constantly.

Odds are, not that many folks are using .ISO anyway, and will move on to something else. But the movie studios/machine manufactures are not doing themselves any favors by ticking off their customers.

Anyway, we used to use firmware to "upgrade" our "APEX" DVD players to be Region free. But it took someone who was willing to open the units up and somehow get the software out and re-program it. But we shouldn't have been put into such a position to begin with. Hope a "work-around" is figured out here.

AVS is owned by advertisers. Actually there are so many ads on that site I had to quit using it since my slow connection can't handle it.

I just saw this on the net.

Can anyone confirm or deny that it works?

STANDARD/BASIC MOD:
1. Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices and power up the player with no disc in the tray.
2. When it displays "no disc" wait for approx 4-5 seconds, and press GREEN-2-2 on the remote.
3. Press "setup" on remote.
4. Scroll down to "Device setup"
5. Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"
6. Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.
7. Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.
8. Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

PRO MOD:
1 Disconnect ethernet, and any USB devices, and power up the player with no disc in the tray.
2 Press "setup" on remote
3 Scroll down to "Device setup"
4 Place the bar on "Firmware Upgrade"
5 Press RED-8-5-2-0 on the remote.
6 In this menu, press 1-1-4 on the remote.
7 Exit menu again by pressing setup button, NOT the ok button.
8 Now you can downgrade the firmware with the use of a usb stick, just follow the usual instructions from Oppo.

That's the same instructions I saved a long time ago, but have never tried them out. I just quit doing fw updates and hope to never need to do it.

K

Back