Zappa - Live At The Roxy & Elsewhere (Blu Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is the holy grail for Zappa fans. Finally, an acknowledgement today from the Zappa family trust;

Dear People of Earth,

Here's what's thrilling:

1. It is Moon's Birthday today! And this morning I was lucky enough to have a cold breakfast with Moon and Mathilda - Ice Cream Cake and the sun wasn't even up yet. Yay!

2. I know I do not have to remind you that next December 2013 is the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy Performances. Now that we have thoroughly identified all it's parts and participles, we will deliver The Movie without further incident and maybe only a little ado. In theatres, DVD and Blue-ray, sometime before December, 2013.

3. MEANWHILE . . . before this December 2012, in anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere. Further details on The Movie and P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack) as soon as the duckies are all lined up.

4. Oh, and did I mention a new series is about to launch - Road Tapes - on Vaulternative Records! We've taken direct aim at Halloween!

5. Thank you.

xxx,

gz

I can't wait!!!!

Cheapnis was really my fave from the album...his intro to it just sold me completely. As a kid with a fondness for odd music and cheap horror films it was an easy sell.

Roxy was my first Zappa album. As a high school freshman the song I connected with was Penguin in Bondage. I saw Zappa Plays Zappa at the Roxy in 2008 and Dweezil was talking about the film's imminent release then. I'd pretty much given up on it by now, but based on this year's reissues, I think it's finally gonna happen. Seeing ZPZ at the Roxy was amazing, I can't even imagine what it must have been like to see FZ himself in such a small venue.

I'm seeing Zappa Plays Zappa again tonight. They will be playing the Roxy and Elsehwere album in it's entirety during the first set. Still waiting for the movie on blu-ray, maybe Dweezil will give us an update. I'll be at the sound check, maybe I'll get a chance to ask him. There was supposed to be a quad version of Roxy completed and advertised back in the day. Anyone know anything about it?

I got a chance to briefly talk to Dweezil last night, super cool guy. I first asked him about the Roxy movie, he said he had heard it was done, but he hasn't seen it yet. I then asked him about any future multi-channel releases, He said there is no market for them. I replied that we are here and we will buy. He just smiled and said any future multi-channel releases would most likely be video based. I told him my copies of Quadiophiliac and Halloween were treasures and he thanked me for the remark. I did get a copy of the setlist signed by the band and the show was great.

The same old "No market for it" routine where surround music is concerned.. *sigh*... just how many copies of any of this old stuff do any of the artists or labels expect to shift in any format nowadays? Surround may be a tough sell but the whole markets in a slump so that doesn't wash with me.

The truth is, it costs money and takes effort to do surround music remixes and too many in the industry either refuse to cough up and/or can't be bothered to embark on a labour of love - we are so so SO lucky to have people like Steven Wilson/Neil Wilkes/Panegyric etc., who are swimming against the tide.

You know, it strikes me, you can't sell ANY surround music if you never release any... its a screwed up self fulfilling load of nonsense.. it's been a long while since there was any Zappa in surround, why not test it out with a BDA now more people have home theater & Blu-ray & HDMI's made it all easier etc.. things have moved on, why be so closed-minded.. the mind boggles..

..instead, you let it all disintegrate and remain unreleased, rather than let the fans hear it, even if its not a big moneyspinner..!? GRRR...!!! absolutely none of the future generations is going to want any of this music in any shape or form, or at least be at all willing to pay anything for it, it'll all be streamed, the artists will get absolute peanuts, it'll all be more disposable and less valued than ever, now's the time to at least try and sell it.

Rant over, sorry.. it's just I'm fed up of hearing no-one wants surround music.. if that was the case I could get the Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD anyday of the week for a tenner, rather than seeing one copy in a blue moon go for £1,500 quid..!!! :mad:@:

There IS a demand for Surround music, ok its modest.. but as an artist or label you have to put in extra time, money & effort and know your market and tap into it thru Sites such as this one, I'm sure if you ask the guys behind the SW Yes & XTC BDA/DVDA's how they sold, I bet they're doing alright but it's deserved, it's undeniably great product made with fans rather than dollar signs in mind.

Back in college - you were either a side 2 or a side 3 fan - my preference was side 2 - Village of the Sun!

Both! Side 2 Amazed me, and Side 3 thrilled me. They both still do. FZ prepared quad mixes for this album (and many live shows were presented and recorded in 4.0 in 1973-1974), so what lurks in the vault besides Apostrophe and Overnight does really intrigue and boggle the mind. Joe Travers has the best job in the world, and the things he must hear on a daily basis must blow his mind. I hope we hear 1/100th of it in our lifetime or generation. The news Odys posted about his meeting with DZ and that likely no more surround audio-only releases will come out is I hope speculation on DZ's part. His Mom and Joe T are the exec producers, so anything is still possible. Keep sending those cards and letters folks.

side note, the stereo CD Roxy by Proxy is a total tease, and a great listen. Recommend to any FZ fan. And the notes indicate we "ain't head nothing yet", so I hope that means the BIG one is still cooking. FZ release #99, Roxy by Proxy will get many listens in my camp. Let's not talk about the politics of what she tried to do with the $1000 buy in to be a "distributor" to help raise funds to keep the movie an independent release. That was never going to work. Kickstarter would have raised 10 times or more what she did going that route. Shoot, I just talked about it and I said I wasn't going to.

The same old "No market for it" routine where surround music is concerned.. *sigh*... just how many copies of any of this old stuff do any of the artists or labels expect to shift in any format nowadays? Surround may be a tough sell but the whole markets in a slump so that doesn't wash with me.

The truth is, it costs money and takes effort to do surround music remixes and too many in the industry either refuse to cough up and/or can't be bothered to embark on a labour of love - we are so so SO lucky to have people like Steven Wilson/Neil Wilkes/Panegyric etc., who are swimming against the tide.

You know, it strikes me, you can't sell ANY surround music if you never release any... its a screwed up self fulfilling load of nonsense.. it's been a long while since there was any Zappa in surround, why not test it out with a BDA now more people have home theater & Blu-ray & HDMI's made it all easier etc.. things have moved on, why be so closed-minded.. the mind boggles..

..instead, you let it all disintegrate and remain unreleased, rather than let the fans hear it, even if its not a big moneyspinner..!? GRRR...!!! absolutely none of the future generations is going to want any of this music in any shape or form, or at least be at all willing to pay anything for it, it'll all be streamed, the artists will get absolute peanuts, it'll all be more disposable and less valued than ever, now's the time to at least try and sell it.

Rant over, sorry.. it's just I'm fed up of hearing no-one wants surround music.. if that was the case I could get the Scorpions Moment of Glory SACD anyday of the week for a tenner, rather than seeing one copy in a blue moon go for £1,500 quid..!!! :mad:@:

There IS a demand for Surround music, ok its modest.. but as an artist or label you have to put in extra time, money & effort and know your market and tap into it thru Sites such as this one, I'm sure if you ask the guys behind the SW Yes & XTC BDA/DVDA's how they sold, I bet they're doing alright but it's deserved, it's undeniably great product made with fans rather than dollar signs in mind.

It seems to have boiled down to the almighty dollar. I know these people need to earn a living too. But, to say there is no market is just dumb. Who else was buying all those dvd audio discs CC had? They had a good stock at the start, not one or two. Evidently I was not the only one buying them! And who is buying up all the SACD's we see on the sa-cd.net? Adam?
Ok video based MC is OK, where is it? I'm not fussy, I'll take a BD. And I'm sure I'll love it too!

Elmer's dead on with this. Speaking strictly sound quality wise, I've never heard Dolby sound better, and if I didn't know otherwise, I'd probably assume it's DTS-HD or some other lossless codec. And the songs and performance more than make up for the lackluster surround aspect.

I have waited all these years for this to finally be released. Besides the great document of Frank and the amazing band...note the guy in the audience between the first and second song (and much after) in the horizontal stripes shirt at the stage right in front of Frank. That is ME and my date is now my wife of 37 years. Most the time my camera is in front of my face and I should post some of the pics (when I'm not messaging from work). Ah, the long hair I had in my past...

I have waited all these years for this to finally be released. Besides the great document of Frank and the amazing band...note the guy in the audience between the first and second song (and much after) in the horizontal stripes shirt at the stage right in front of Frank. That is ME and my date is now my wife of 37 years. Most the time my camera is in front of my face and I should post some of the pics (when I'm not messaging from work). Ah, the long hair I had in my past...

please --DO post those photos!!!! you are eternally captured on film!!! and Zappa none the less....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Zappa-Roxy-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B014HDZVQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462455042&sr=8-1&keywords=zappa+roxy+blu

Has anybody got this? Usual question: is the surround ambience + audience or is it mixed in 'proper' surround? I was hoping for the latter, because wasn't the original LP an aborted quad release?

I think it's surround and ambience.Some tracks do indeed place instruments in the rear although it is inconsistent for surround.Therefore I consider this disc alot better than just ambient.
The mix is by Bruce Botnick and according to the liner notes they elude to missing or damaged tape/s.
It sure would be nice to know, and compare this to the withdrawn 70's quad mix by Frank, but something tells me that might not ever be available possibly because of missing or damage multi/quad tape.

It is a great concert btw, classic F.Z. and only in 5.1 DD but it is good in my observation.I recommend it, a no brainer.(y)

Back