A question about the quad to dts commercially available discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
As I work towards archiving my music collection to my network, I'm wondering the best way to deal with these discs.

It's been a while since I've pulled any of these out for a listen. These discs were sourced from quad mixes, and have a center channel. As I recall, the center channel was added to them, without altering the front left and right channels.

To me this would mean, the ideal way to listen to these discs would be to drop the center channel from them. Is this correct? Is the center channel just adding unnecessary information that would be messing with the l-r soundfield? Or is it improving things? Or is it just there?

I question this because, I could just rip the DTS to stereo flac, and those will playback fine. Or, I could convert to 5.1 wav, delete the center channel, and then save back to 5.1 flac. Which would be bigger than the 2.0 flac with encoded DTS, but would then not have the unnecessary center channel. Or, I could remove the center, and re-encode to DTS, and save that as flac....but then would decoding dts and re-encoding dts negatively effect the audio? I'm thinking once I decode the dts, I don't want to go back to dts.

I don't know. As usual, I'm overthinking this, but I do need to make a decision, so I figured I'd check in with others thoughts. Do I leave well enough alone and leave the derived center in? Or do I go with a format that will take a bit more disc space to eliminate the unnecessary center?

the center and subwoofer channels were added on the quad mix dts cd's.

some people like the extra bass channel...like the Parsons dark side mix

the phantom center channel is mixed 15db down anyway

ripping 5.1 dts wav to 5.1 dts flac doesn't save much space compared with stereo.

As I work towards archiving my music collection to my network, I'm wondering the best way to deal with these discs.

It's been a while since I've pulled any of these out for a listen. These discs were sourced from quad mixes, and have a center channel. As I recall, the center channel was added to them, without altering the front left and right channels.

To me this would mean, the ideal way to listen to these discs would be to drop the center channel from them. Is this correct? Is the center channel just adding unnecessary information that would be messing with the l-r soundfield? Or is it improving things? Or is it just there?

I question this because, I could just rip the DTS to stereo flac, and those will playback fine. Or, I could convert to 5.1 wav, delete the center channel, and then save back to 5.1 flac. Which would be bigger than the 2.0 flac with encoded DTS, but would then not have the unnecessary center channel. Or, I could remove the center, and re-encode to DTS, and save that as flac....but then would decoding dts and re-encoding dts negatively effect the audio? I'm thinking once I decode the dts, I don't want to go back to dts.

I don't know. As usual, I'm overthinking this, but I do need to make a decision, so I figured I'd check in with others thoughts. Do I leave well enough alone and leave the derived center in? Or do I go with a format that will take a bit more disc space to eliminate the unnecessary center?

Why would you save back to a 5.1 file? save as a 4.0 Quadraphonic wave file. I have to do this so that my delta 44 sound card will output all four channels, otherwise I get centre in left back and sub in right back. Both Foobar2000 and Audasidy allow you to save or map your files to 4.0 most others do not.

I also convert (real) 5.1 mixes to Quad for the same reason. I recently found that it usually works well to mix centre in the front and Lfe to the rear; many times there is not much bass in the rear anyway as the mixes are intended for small surround speakers. Just mix at a level of .707 (-3dB) and reduce overall level by the same .707 (-3dB) to prevent clipping.

Back