Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells now available as a 5.1 FLAC download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet but it's on my list of things to do soon. According to a few posters on Tubular.net it's noticeably better than the 448 Kbps Dolby version...which is what those of us expected who were decrying the lack of lossless here three years ago.

Not yet but it's on my list of things to do soon. According to a few posters on Tubular.net it's noticeably better than the 448 Kbps Dolby version...which is what those of us expected who were decrying the lack of lossless here three years ago.

On Tubular.net, do they mention if anyone from Australia has been able to buy this and download? I'd be quite willing to buy this but it seems they do not wish to sell to me

Is this 24/48 5.1 PCM when extracted? Anyone bought it yet? Even if you put in a UK addy as the shipping, it balks on the billing address and if you put one that doesn't exist you'll get declined. I may ask a UK friend to buy it and send me the download link and I'll Paypal them the money.

The 2009 5.1 mixes are excellent, but 448 Kbps Dolby Digital is pretty pshaw. Wish Mike would put these out as Blu-ray Audio discs, and do all of Incantations. I'll buy just about every studio album if he did it as 24/96 5.1 dts-ma BD-A discs.

EDIT:
If we estimate .flac as being 62% of the original then it's going to uncompress to around 2.42GB.

TB = 48 minutes. 24/96 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 4.86GB.
24/48 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 2.42GB.

I'm guessing that this is 24/48 5.1. Shame it's not 24/96, but still sweet to get the opportunity to upgrade to uncompressed lossless for the excellent 2009 TB surround mix! Hope we get the rest of them in due course.

I've just had exactly the same problem. UK address (My own one), payment rejected on all cards.
I tried to buy the bundle for £20, so that is now one lost sale. Shame.

EDIT.
Weird.
It just seemed to go through when I tried again.
Maybe there was a fault??

Well, I got it all downloaded - and it sounds much, much better than the DVD by a long, long way.
Very dynamic, no compression used that is obvious either.
Screenshot below is the FLAC files in Nuendo, as supplied - Part 1, Part 2, the Single & the pissed Viv Stanshall bit (may he rest in peace)

Bells.PNG

If I were to buy this download how would I burn it to disc? Should I burn it to DVD? Would it burn to blu-ray and if so would there be any improvement over dvd? Would Imageburn work? I know I must seem a bit thick, maybe the cancer or just getting older.

Thanks.

If I were to buy this download how would I burn it to disc? Should I burn it to DVD? Would it burn to blu-ray and if so would there be any improvement over dvd? Would Imageburn work? I know I must seem a bit thick, maybe the cancer or just getting older.

Thanks.

Yes, Imageburn would work. Nero Burning Rom. Don't know about Bluray options.

Necrobump: anywhere to purchase this now that it's no longer available at B&W? I'm interested in both the stereo and the surround.

Necrobump: anywhere to purchase this now that it's no longer available at B&W? I'm interested in both the stereo and the surround.

AFAIK, the FLAC downloads are no longer available to purchase anywhere. The B&W site was the only place to purchase the downloads, but there might be a QQ member that could come along and help you acquire at least the 5.1 surround FLAC… ;)

I had been planning on it until I found out that there was an uncompressed version available. Emphasis on "was..." [emoji19]

Trust me, the Dolby DVD is not worth buying. The only way to really hear this particular surround sound mix of "Tubular Bells" is through the lossless FLAC files.

Trust me, the Dolby DVD is not worth buying. The only way to really hear this particular surround sound mix of "Tubular Bells" is through the lossless FLAC files.

I would say that the lossless FLAC files would be the best way to hear this, not the only way. The Dolby DVD imho is worth buying, if that's the only surround mix that you can find to buy. It still sounds better than listening to the stereo cd!

Allow me to quote what Jon Urban said to another fellow member back in 2012. This was already in place when you joined back in 2010 and it still stands today. :)

one of the rules of the forum is that members are not allowed to solicit copies of copyrighted material. It's an old argument we've been through many times, but alas we restrict ourselves here to dealing with commercially released material. What members do on their own is up to them.

However, open solicitation is not allowed. Sorry.

Allow me to quote what Jon Urban said to another fellow member back in 2012. This was already in place when you joined back in 2010 and it still stands today. :)
I was not suggesting that I wanted something non-commercial. I know that B&W had a download offer many years ago. I thought there might be another commercial download site. I appreciate and follow the rules.

Back