Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells now available as a 5.1 FLAC download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What mix is it? IIRC the SACD was the 4.0, the dvd-a was a new recording.
Am i wrong?

I suspect this is the Mike Oldfield 5.1 remix on the Universal Deluxe Edition from 2009.

Great news as that was previously only available in Dolby Digital.

perhaps in future B&W will release more of the UMG 5.1 mixes that have been released only as Dolby D on DVD-V..!?

I'm thinking Mike O's 5.1 mixes of "Hergest Ridge" & "Ommadawn"..

..maybe the SW mix of Caravan's "In the Land of Pink and Grey"..

..etc..!?

potentially the avenue for 5.1 FLAC downloads, at last..??

Well the fine print may be a stickler for some:

"This album is available for purchase in these countries - United Kingdom, France, Germany. Licenced for download from Universal Music Group."

Well the fine print may be a stickler for some:

"This album is available for purchase in these countries - United Kingdom, France, Germany. Licenced for download from Universal Music Group."

I wonder if it would be legal to buy those files for a friend outside these countries and then "ship" it to him/her?

I'm sure it would be possible to set something up, after all, sending the purchased files would be as easy as pie.

I did think of one idea though. I feel Oldfield is milking his stuff to death,and to be honest for a download it is really OTT. For the price they want i'd expect a disc and case.

So, it wouldn't take much for people chip in the £20 for all to share.

Those who knowme know my views on making newly released material available as soon as it's made available, but i feel Oldfield is taking his fans for a big ride.

I doubt that very much,he's become more a business man than musician nowadays.

I was beaten to this one !
I was going to head it the sound of bells being squeezed.
I think this is the answer to the question "why was the 2009 mix only in DD?" well now you know, yet more milking of a classic album.
Next release on BluRay me thinks whuch should take him nicely up to retirement.
:(

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Pirating something newly released just because you think the original artist is a bit greedy, act entitled much?

People ask for lossless 5.1 downloads, they become available in their infancy and you want to shoot the goose that laid the golden egg because the egg is slightly too expensive!

Is this 24/48 5.1 PCM when extracted? Anyone bought it yet? Even if you put in a UK addy as the shipping, it balks on the billing address and if you put one that doesn't exist you'll get declined. I may ask a UK friend to buy it and send me the download link and I'll Paypal them the money.

The 2009 5.1 mixes are excellent, but 448 Kbps Dolby Digital is pretty pshaw. Wish Mike would put these out as Blu-ray Audio discs, and do all of Incantations. I'll buy just about every studio album if he did it as 24/96 5.1 dts-ma BD-A discs.

EDIT:
If we estimate .flac as being 62% of the original then it's going to uncompress to around 2.42GB.

TB = 48 minutes. 24/96 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 4.86GB.
24/48 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 2.42GB.

I'm guessing that this is 24/48 5.1. Shame it's not 24/96, but still sweet to get the opportunity to upgrade to uncompressed lossless for the excellent 2009 TB surround mix! Hope we get the rest of them in due course.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Pirating something newly released just because you think the original artist is a bit greedy, act entitled much?

People ask for lossless 5.1 downloads, they become available in their infancy and you want to shoot the goose that laid the golden egg because the egg is slightly too expensive!

One thing very important to consider is that some artists do not create anything great except one or two titles over a lifetime – if they’re lucky. You take years rehearsing and recording, spending your own money and it is extremely Hard Work. You hope the public will like the finished musical work or will even notice. Many artists never create anything worthwhile or the public does not take to it, for whatever reasons. So, one cannot fault endless re-releases of different box sets and such with different mixes and demos that were successful. Do not buy if you don’t like. It is of course ridiculous to offer something for download in one country and not another when we are already set-up to buy and quite willing.

Nevertheless, please be respectful and mindful not to screw up what an artist has bravely tried to offer. I have no doubt Mike Oldfield is a member here, but has chosen to remain anonymous.

If we’re trying to send a message to the music industry and want them to respect our opinions, let’s make sure we have our story straight. This does not show us in very good light at all to discuss "sharing" when we have just asked the music industry in another thread to offer Multi-Channel Flac for us to buy.

Nice post OQG. I've already figured out that I'll just ask a UK friend to order for me and send me the link and I'll send him the funds electronically.

Very grateful to have this in lossless, that was my one and only complaint about the Tubular Bells 2009 release. I hope they issue this worldwide soon, and the other Mike Oldfield 2010/2011 5.1 mixes too.

Is this 24/48 5.1 PCM when extracted? Anyone bought it yet? Even if you put in a UK addy as the shipping, it balks on the billing address and if you put one that doesn't exist you'll get declined. I may ask a UK friend to buy it and send me the download link and I'll Paypal them the money.

The 2009 5.1 mixes are excellent, but 448 Kbps Dolby Digital is pretty pshaw. Wish Mike would put these out as Blu-ray Audio discs, and do all of Incantations. I'll buy just about every studio album if he did it as 24/96 5.1 dts-ma BD-A discs.

EDIT:
If we estimate .flac as being 62% of the original then it's going to uncompress to around 2.42GB.

TB = 48 minutes. 24/96 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 4.86GB.
24/48 5.1 @ 48 minutes = @ 2.42GB.

I'm guessing that this is 24/48 5.1. Shame it's not 24/96, but still sweet to get the opportunity to upgrade to uncompressed lossless for the excellent 2009 TB surround mix! Hope we get the rest of them in due course.

I was led to believe there are major master tape deterioration problems with "Incantations", hence the lack of it in 5.1..?!

£15 it's about $24CAD for DL - somehow hard to accept as a "slightly overpriced" in the light of latest releases
like LS 3 discs set @ $12, SW 2 BD-A @ $12 each, ELP 2 sets @ $16 each.
cost of manufacturing of the physical disc with print and packing on average cost about $3 per disc on 1000 unit.
i'm pretty sure if he would print those 1000 disc, he wouldn't have problem to find 1000 buyers among 6 billions
worldwide. so, cool 19K (less $3000) just for reissue for me doesn't seems like bad deal. i'm not very sure there
would be 1000 downloads.
sure, everyone has choice to buy or just walk away, but could be such milking is one of the reasons why so many
of the folks prefer to download freely from p2p.
i guess in long run artists and all others, involved in projects, actually looses more than gain.

£15 it's about $24CAD for DL - somehow hard to accept as a "slightly overpriced" in the light of latest releases
like LS 3 discs set @ $12, SW 2 BD-A @ $12 each, ELP 2 sets @ $16 each.
cost of manufacturing of the physical disc with print and packing on average cost about $3 per disc on 1000 unit.
i'm pretty sure if he would print those 1000 disc, he wouldn't have problem to find 1000 buyers among 6 billions
worldwide. so, cool 19K (less $3000) just for reissue for me doesn't seems like bad deal. i'm not very sure there
would be 1000 downloads.
sure, everyone has choice to buy or just walk away, but could be such milking is one of the reasons why so many
of the folks prefer to download freely from p2p.
i guess in long run artists and all others, involved in projects, actually looses more than gain.

Good points Otto. Discs are discs, downloads are downloads – completely different animals. You do not sell a download as if it was a disc, it is a download or “One Music Title.” The way for buying digital material on iTunes for the last 10 years for instance, that everyone is familiar with is that it’s $9.99 for an “Album” or one title.

Also, the more common way for us to play Multi-Channel is by disc, as that’s what we’re set-up for. Selling Multi-Channel Flac, at least at this point, and at these prices, is like going to a gourmet restaurant and being required to cook the meal yourself. You have to turn the Flac into something playable, a disc yourself because they’re not offering an .ISO with the Flac. But if Flac will get us more titles or stuff that cannot be put on a manufactured disc and brings overall costs down for the artist, that would be very good.

What is this? The 2003, 5.1 mix or the recent 2009 Dolby 5.1 mix? If the 2009 mix, those who bought the 2009 Dolby 5.1 mix box set should have got a download code for the Lossless sound to begin with. The artist and those who were selling this knew better at the time of sale. So in this regard, 2 years later, one could easily say one is being milked by the greedy.

What is the fair price for a music title? And why should one download be treated any different than another? Why are the Lossless files more expensive than the MP3 files? Bandwidth is unlimited for one price for website owners, so that should not be the issue. Oh, now the music industry admits MP3 sucks.

To be fair to the artist, actually all musical artists out there, some sort of "sweet spot" price between what is being sold on the expensive bowers-wilkins website and music that is “Free” needs to be considered by fans, music industry and artists if 21st century music is going to work at all.

Has anyone actually downloaded this as yet? If so, any comments on the quality? I've sent an email inquiring if this will be available for purchase in Australia. Their 'support' is a lot like a lot of companies these days. They make contact difficult and convoluted with the intent (IMO) of putting you off contacting them at all. In order to send my email I had to choose a physical product and a category or I could not send my message. There seemed to be no obvious selection relating to the download

Back