BluRay Music Video Poll Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [DTS-HD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Blu-Ray release of the Beatles telefilm. Your mother might know! :yikes

MMT 500.jpg

6. Something's not right with the audio, and it's not only my copy. I get great echo in the rears when the "bursting rainbow" appears in between scenes. DTS & DD yield similar results. My preamp does display DTS or DD when I select them. I do hear some low level background vocals on the rears in places. For more info & other folks' comments: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ry-Tour-Blu-Ray-October-2012/page2#post162054

Here's what my rating is based on:
Music = 10
Video Restoration/Pic Quality = 8
Surround Mix = 1

6. Something's not right with the audio, and it's not only my copy. I get great echo in the rears when the "bursting rainbow" appears in between scenes. DTS & DD yield similar results. My preamp does display DTS or DD when I select them. I do hear some low level background vocals on the rears in places. For more info & other folks' comments: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ry-Tour-Blu-Ray-October-2012/page2#post162054

Here's what my rating is based on:
Music = 10
Video Restoration/Pic Quality = 8
Surround Mix = 1
It boggles my mind that Giles Martin had a hand mixing the 5.1 mix...
I hope maybe that it is a mistake and a recall will be issued.
It is a great 3.1 mix...real shitty 5.1 mix
Extras are great,PQ is very good
I gave it a 6.

I ripped the Blu-Ray 5.1 to PC using AudioMuxer, and on the PC, the surround track is very dissapointing. I bought 3 Blu-Rays this past week, and have been let down (audio-wise) on all 3.

It's not that this sounds bad. It's fine. It's just that it could be so much better. They did such a great job with HELP!, and LOVE, why could they not duplicate that excellence on this short film?

The surround mix on this is so disappointing, It's really only 3 channel with a bit of ambiance in the rears.Giles Martin did a fantastic job mixing the 5.1 on "Love", so what happened here ? The stereo mix however sounds great and is a big improvement over any previous releases. The restoration of the picture is excellent and I don't think It could look any better.

Picture quality 9
Audio quality 9
Surround mix 1

I gave it a 7 overall, perhaps generos. As noted....great visuals, good extra content, but other than a little boost in the rear speakers on Blue Jay Way and Flying, they are ambiance only. I have chickens in my barn that could randomly produce a more exciting surround mix. John

Thanx for saving me a $20.00! big let down. Never saw it, I was looking forward to the BD. Well, it sucks anyway. Nothing happend on the bus.

Ok, so I decided to revisit this Blu-Ray in light of the recent posts on Beatles Blu-Ray discs.

The bad news? The surround mix of the music is very dull indeed, "big stereo" is very appropriate for this disc.

I do appreciate Giles Martin's effort to not change the mixing too drastically from what we remember of the original soundtrack album, but frankly more could still have been done.

The good news? Fidelity is among the best I have ever heard of these songs, especially those which really features Ringo's drumming.

This disc also has some of the best bonus features out of all four films released on Blu-Ray, especially the interviews with Paul and Ringo about the making of the film.

I originally gave it an '8', but it's really more a '7.7'
I just make an excuse to round up because it is the Beatles after all. ;)

Yeah, the lackluster use of the surrounds is disappointing but the fidelity on both new mixes is terrific. The placement stays fairly true to the original stereo but usually with one or two key elements shifted center. The title song no longer has the ‘swooshing’ sound effect but instead uses vehicle noises from the film. The extras are terrific and feature plenty of unused footage. And the menu contains 4 additional deleted scenes hidden as Easter Eggs (including the vocal stylings of Magic Alex). Unfortunately the audio for the Hello Goodbye promo is not remixed. It appears to be just the original with the stereo field narrowed. The restoration, bonus material and stereo remix warrant a 10 but I’ll deduct a point for the tame 5.1 mix.

I noticed Beatles secretary Freda Kelly boarding the bus in the extras. She was the subject of a fantastic 2013 documentary that I highly recommend to any and all Beatles fans. Hers is a fascinating and one-of-a-kind story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqO3DIaKTXM

Back