Pink Floyd "Animals" Quad Reel. Did anybody here scoop it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17092263116...IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&autorefresh=true

I'd been watching it all week, started making dinner a little late tonight and completely slipped my mind. Dunno if I would've paid $105 for something that may or may not be legit, but still - that's a tremendous score if it turns out to be for real!

I seriously hope somebody here scored this plus the Wish You Were Here reel!

I'm surprised the FBI doesn't shut down ebay for listings like this. I wish they would. ebay needs to go away, along with these types of sellers.

the seller made this seem legit in their description - i guess its not..!?

got to say though its not perfect, either way I'd be lost without eBay.. I've got some of my most amazing finds on there over the years..!!

It seems that at least for me, amazing finds on ebay are very few and far between anymore. Everyone wants top dollar and there seems to be a lot more buyers willing to bid high on everything.

I would like to know the backstory on this tape. Was it actually debunked?
It may be they were parting out the estate of a recently deceased music biz honcho, recording studio personnel, band management or roadie.
Is it just a bogus upmix, a transfer from a test pressing or an advance preview to decide on release date or not?

I'm betting it's not real. I've seen faked versions torrented for several years. If I had an a copy of the true unreleased Animals quad master, my opening asking price would be much higher than the ending bid on this. Hell, my reserve would be $500

A_L

If this is legitimate, I'd definitely be interested in hearing a copy ;)

It seems that at least for me, amazing finds on ebay are very few and far between anymore. Everyone wants top dollar and there seems to be a lot more buyers willing to bid high on everything.

while i agree a lot of sellers have got wiser to the value of some of our cherished surround stuff as the internet has grown, there are bargains still to be had on there, don't give up hope! (just in the last week I've seen several listings for DVDA's for £5 - and in the case of one item, under £5 - as buy it nows on there, where they are commanding 5-10 times that on amazon.. and I'm not referring to the silly inflated prices of certain bookstores, etc with an amazon marketplace presence either).

He was also selling a Q4 reel of Wish You Were Here, which he claimed came from an EMI master. That's what kinda made me think it may have been the real deel. We around here used to scoff at the idea of Columbia Q4's until recently. Then ndiamone & AoQ found that Sparks! Quad reel, another seller on eBay had been trying to sell off a Cher/Long John Baldry Quad reel (which I think was stereo, but it had a notations card from a studio). I wish I'd have scooped it so we could find out. I'd have definitely sent that off to get converted!

He was also selling a Q4 reel of Wish You Were Here, which he claimed came from an EMI master. That's what kinda made me think it may have been the real deel.

i guess by having BD-A with "WYWH" now that's wouldn't be hard task to do a "copy off EMI master" :)

Hi All,

Didn't see the eBay listing, but for what it is worth I have never come across a mention of the Floyd mixing a quad for Animals, and I have read everything I could get my eyes on about them for the last 34 years. Now Meddle, that is another story...

Ken

Animals was once upon a time mentioned in a Schwann's catalog (I think it was Schwann's) and was even given the catalog number of CAQ-34474 but the LP or 8-track never appeared.

Hi All,

Didn't see the eBay listing, but for what it is worth I have never come across a mention of the Floyd mixing a quad for Animals, and I have read everything I could get my eyes on about them for the last 34 years. Now Meddle, that is another story...

Ken

I suspect that there could be a quad mix of Animals as there it was officially announced as a release (Q4 SHVL 815). I saw it on the release sheet at my local W.H.Smiths, and it was ordered that day, but was put back for acouple of months until it was cancelled.

It was at this time the non-classical parts of EMI cancelled any further quad releases, so there's a fair chance the quad mix does in fact exsist.

There's proof that Meddle was mixed in Quad, but it never got as far as being announced.

Never say never! Who would have thought the quad mix ofthe Gentle Giants albums would finally see the light of day, and the Joe Walsh unreleased mix would appear!

most of his stuff are just home tape dubs from Q4's and cd4's... the card with the animals dub has the same typing structure for the song list as most of the others..plus he's closing down his ebay sales....quote "This reel is among my final listings".

he's trying to sell pirate recordings using the logic that "The reel is recorded on but is sold AS-IS and for Reuse in compliance with Ebay rules."...whereas you can't record over a second hand pirate cd.,..he's trying to give the impression that you're really just buying a second hand used tape...which just happens by the way to have some music on it that you might not ever want to record over...

and not even a 30 second mp3 snippet of say the rear channels of the tape ..which could help confirm authenticity ...not to mention to help boost the sales price..

the wish you were here could easily be a tape dub from the immersion set...and the animals has a high chance of being a dub of an upmix...there's nothing to suggest otherwise in any of his adds.

I think part of the issue is just how obscure the quad market is, I bet a lot of people who work at preventing fraud on ebay have never seen a reel to reel

Back