Ever see 176 Quad 8-tracks in one place?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Gosh What a collection. Soooo. of all these tapes which are the top five for quad separation ..sound quality etc?

Hmmm, that could be difficult.

Best Sound Quality out of a Q8 (in no particular order)

Jerry Reed - Hot A-Mighty
The Four Tops - Meeting of the Minds/Keeper of the Castle/Main Street People (ALL are clear and bright)
Quincy Jones - You've Got it Bad, Girl
Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle
Johnny Winter - Saints & Sinners

Best Mixes: (highly subjective)

Labelle - Nightbirds (other than 'Lady Marmalade' which features cross-channel drums, all other songs are mixed very nice.)
David Essex - Rock On (good mix other than the "whoopsie" moment during 'We All Insane')
The Guess Who - Best Of Volume 2
Elvis - Today
Redbone - Beaded Dreams through Turquoise Eyes

Thanks q. But if you really didn't care if it was " a great mix" but just wanted to blow someones mind with directionality which would you play? Please don't ever sell them as I can't afford the $2,000 it should bring.

Whats the sound like on those old tapes out of curiosity ?

Can you get a high quality player to play these tapes still?

I've always been a supporter of the 8-track format. It CAN sound good, but it's very dependent on the mastering done at the duplication plant. I use an AKAI CR-80-SS tape deck, with a Teac 4-channel Dolby and my system also has twin Pioneer SG-9500 12-band equalizers. So, within reason, I can make anything sound good. The worst sounding tape is The Brecker Brothers Band "Back to Back". It's a very dull tape, like the high end roll-off is around 10k. I've recorded "Breaker, Breaker" off that tape onto my PC and it's been a chore to make it sound decent - even with a lot of electronic trickery.

Please don't ever sell them as I can't afford the $2,000 it should bring.

I think you forgot to add a 0 there. I have close to $20,000 in tapes if you average $50 per tape. Most of these tapes have come from other peoples' collections from eBay and have cost me a lot of money over the years. I wouldn't even entertain an offer of $2k - that's only $5 per tape! I'd set them on fire and dance around them naked, such is the custom of my people. :banana:

Amazing collection! Would you ever consider loaning a couple out to a person with a nice deposit? I am just putting my system system together and the only quad tape I have is a Spanish matador tape. Thanks and rock on with that amazing collection! Scott in S Carolina.

Q-Eight said:
I'd set them on fire and dance around them naked, such is the custom of my people. :banana:

Canadians?

Oh yeah, Rob Ford....

Actually, Doukhobour. I'm a descendant of immigrants from Russia. Not to delve into the history too much, but after emigrating, the Doukhobours split into two sects; one sect being known as Freedomites or Sons of Freedom. To protest what the Canadian government was doing to them at the time, they would burn their homes and clothing and sing hymns in the nude.

I'm up to 450 Quad tapes now! :D

Q-Eight said:
I'm up to 450 Quad tapes now! :D

If I ever win the lottery, I'll send you an offer for your collection.

Back