Pink Floyd-Pompeii Professionally transferred from a 4-track, 35mm CinemaScope print

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, do you guys remember that Yessongs was also released in Quad for cinemas?

Hint hint nudge nudge!

Attachments

• yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 534
Heya, I figured this would be a good place to ask this since all the big time Floyd guys are reading this. Is there any known source for the background films from Dark Side of the Moon concerts. You know, the trippy films played behind the band. I've been wanting to make a DVD with the original quad audio, and the video being the old screen films. I'm not sure if copies of these exist in entirety?

Heya, I figured this would be a good place to ask this since all the big time Floyd guys are reading this. Is there any known source for the background films from Dark Side of the Moon concerts. You know, the trippy films played behind the band. I've been wanting to make a DVD with the original quad audio, and the video being the old screen films. I'm not sure if copies of these exist in entirety?

They are included in the Immersion set.

A_L

Whoops! Thanks A_L! I guess that goes to show how closely I looked at that release. I may have to go ahead and get it, cause I have been dreaming about having those films for years. I always thought that would be amazing combined with the quad mix!

Whoops! Thanks A_L! I guess that goes to show how closely I looked at that release. I may have to go ahead and get it, cause I have been dreaming about having those films for years. I always thought that would be amazing combined with the quad mix!

The films were intended for the live arrangements of the songs and therefor do not necessarily match up well with the studio arrangements. They made unique 5.1 mixes to accompany the films for the TDSOTM & WYWH blu-rays. Some of the films on the WYWH disc that were originally made for SOYCD parts 6-9 are presented with a mix of SOYCD part1. You can find a 2 blu-ray disc set "Pink Floyd Anthology" that presents the films as originally shown at the shows.

If anyone can source a print of YesSongs I'd be happy to do a 2K transfer and grade of it!
I haven't picked up the blu-ray of this yet but I suspect their video presentation isn't what we're hoping to improve here. The quad audio is what we're pining after! And of course I'd be just ecstatic to be able to work on that!

Last edited:
Note also that the 4th magnetic track used for surround effects is half the width of the other three on the film print so doesn't offer as good audio quality.

For this reason, it was standard practice to record a 12kHz tone on that track any time the "effects" channel was supposed to be on. When the tone was absent, the rear speakers would mute. As there was already reduced fidelity on that channel, low-pass filtering was used to keep the tone out of the theater's speakers.

As for "Yessongs", I saw two different mag presentations in two different theaters. The first time, I thought it sounded great. I was aware of it being more-than-stereo, but alas, not aware of the exact speaker layout. A couple years later, I saw it in a different theater that I *know* only had a standard Left-Center-Right-Surround configuration. The surround track sounded so bad that I actually went to talk to the projectionist, who speculated that the print was probably quadraphonic and just not designed to play properly as L-C-R-S.

BTW, the latter theater also ran a mag print of the Pink Floyd film, which included a reel with the sound *wildly* out of sync. Apparently someone had recorded it using the optical picture/sound offset. Oops.

Hey All,

Listening to this now. Awesome! Thanks to jimfisheye and all involved for your efforts in this restoration. Set The Controls is giving me chills! This is what collecting surround music is all about! Please let me know if you need help with future projects!

Ken

Watching this (5.68 GB mkv) great film in 4.0. Listened to the DVDA a couple years back but this film presentation is excellent too. Pic is 480i but still looks good. Sound is great (DTSMA). The bass on One of These Days in the rears is nutty great during the "I'm going to cut you..." part. Doubt it could be improved upon hugely but I do hope they give it a try...

I've always loved this soundtrack/concert and converted the laserdisc soundtrack to a CD so I could listen to it in the car clear back in the 1990s as it has the absolute best version of Careful With That Axe Eugene and Echoes, IMO. I've now got the soundtrack in quad now and OMG it's unbelievably good! I don't know how I feel about them combining both parts of Echoes (I kind of liked them separate), but that's minor compared to how well it's done. So many surround albums "blend" into the surrounds, even in discrete rather than putting strong discrete instruments in places around the room and this one is very discrete. Just awesome!

I've always loved this soundtrack/concert and converted the laserdisc soundtrack to a CD so I could listen to it in the car clear back in the 1990s as it has the absolute best version of Careful With That Axe Eugene and Echoes, IMO. I've now got the soundtrack in quad now and OMG it's unbelievably good! I don't know how I feel about them combining both parts of Echoes (I kind of liked them separate), but that's minor compared to how well it's done. So many surround albums "blend" into the surrounds, even in discrete rather than putting strong discrete instruments in places around the room and this one is very discrete. Just awesome!
Thanks for commenting. I was surprised to find no thread (or at least any I can find!) for the latest surround version of this (on Obfusc/ation, 2016). My daughter has just given it to me as a present and I have yet to hear the blu-ray, but I am now very much looking forward to it. I liked the stereo remix on CD, and quite enjoyed the sewn-together Echoes. (And I don't recall Rick Wright's keyboard work standing out so much before? It's great!)

Thanks for commenting. I was surprised to find no thread (or at least any I can find!) for the latest surround version of this (on Obfusc/ation, 2016). My daughter has just given it to me as a present and I have yet to hear the blu-ray, but I am now very much looking forward to it. I liked the stereo remix on CD, and quite enjoyed the sewn-together Echoes. (And I don't recall Rick Wright's keyboard work standing out so much before? It's great!)

My favorite part on that version of Echoes (stereo or quad) is Roger Waters' modified bass line in the middle section where the camera starts panning by the "Pink Floyd - London" amp stacks. That extra note at the end of each bass line repeated twice somehow makes a big difference for me compared to just playing the same note pattern over and over on the original one. I do miss the crashing ending of the Part 1 version when they were separate, though. I'm not a big fan of the "bird sound & guitar" effects in the middle on any version and so I tended to play Part 1 by itself a lot more than Part 2. I do rather like Gilmour's "acoustic" version of Echoes from his one concert DVD, though (it's only Part 2; I wish it had the whole thing).

Meanwhile, Careful with that Axe Eugene is lightyears better than any other version I've ever heard on Live At Pompeii, surround or stereo. I was never that crazy about it on Electric Moo and Relics, but it's one of my favorites on Pompeii! :D

My favorite part on that version of Echoes (stereo or quad) is Roger Waters' modified bass line in the middle section where the camera starts panning by the "Pink Floyd - London" amp stacks. That extra note at the end of each bass line repeated twice somehow makes a big difference for me compared to just playing the same note pattern over and over on the original one. I do miss the crashing ending of the Part 1 version when they were separate, though. I'm not a big fan of the "bird sound & guitar" effects in the middle on any version and so I tended to play Part 1 by itself a lot more than Part 2. I do rather like Gilmour's "acoustic" version of Echoes from his one concert DVD, though (it's only Part 2; I wish it had the whole thing).

Meanwhile, Careful with that Axe Eugene is lightyears better than any other version I've ever heard on Live At Pompeii, surround or stereo. I was never that crazy about it on Electric Moo and Relics, but it's one of my favorites on Pompeii! :D
I've heard it now and I love it. Very satisfying surround sound mix. James Guthrie, I suppose. I'm looking forward to playing it loud when I get the chance.

And I'd quite forgotten about the crashing ending of Echoes Part 1. That always felt a little jarring for me, because I'd usually be mesmerised by that stage of the song and suddenly jolted out of it ... so while I'm personally OK without it, I get how one could miss it too. And I like the new approach, just entirely focussing on the music, and the incorporation of CGI was interesting ... though I do miss the short scene with them fetching their meals at the canteen buffet. :D

Last edited:
Oh yes - and how great is Careful with that Axe, Eugene!

Last edited:
I've heard it now and I love it. Very satisfying surround sound mix. James Guthrie, I suppose. I'm looking forward to playing it loud when I get the chance.

And I'd quite forgotten about the crashing ending of Echoes Part 1. That always felt a little jarring for me, because I'd usually be mesmerised by that stage of the song and suddenly jolted out of it ... so while I'm personally OK without it, I get how one could miss it too. And I like the new approach, just entirely focussing on the music, and the incorporation of CGI was interesting ... though I do miss the short scene with them fetching their meals at the canteen buffet. :D

If you are talking about the newest multichannel mix, it was Andy Jackson and not JG.

Back