Pink Floyd-Pompeii Professionally transferred from a 4-track, 35mm CinemaScope print

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an old, crappy, beat up print. What would be the point in scanning this in HD? The producers are just going to use the image from the DVD for the DVD and Blu-ray versions. There's no HD available but this release isn't about the video, it's all about the audio.

It would be nice if this was backed up with a 4K Spirit scanner as this might be the only print left on the planet. From there it can be digitally cleaned etc., and a film distributor could show it theaters again once securing the rights etc. Folks 100 years from now cannot thank you now, but they would be quite grateful for the actions we do here and now.

It would be nice if this was backed up with a 4K Spirit scanner as this might be the only print left on the planet. From there it can be digitally cleaned etc., and a film distributor could show it theaters again once securing the rights etc. Folks 100 years from now cannot thank you now, but they would be quite grateful for the actions we do here and now.
You're missing the point. The original negatives (and possibly interpositives) still exist and were used for the DVD transfer a few years ago. They can still strike as many release prints as they like but they're expensive and it's unlikely that Pompeii will ever get a theatrical release again.

Quick question. I grabbed this yesterday, but didn't have time to play it beyond the first minute or so. I noticed that VLC Media Player identifies the channels as: L, Center, R and LFE. No rear channels.

So is this a 3.1 mix? No surround? Seems kind of odd. It's probably just VLC getting something wrong. I'll extract the audio to FLAC tonight or tomorrow with DVD Audio Explorer and play it again.

Either way, stoked about this release! Hope it's actually surround.

Quick question. I grabbed this yesterday, but didn't have time to play it beyond the first minute or so. I noticed that VLC Media Player identifies the channels as: L, Center, R and LFE. No rear channels.

So is this a 3.1 mix? No surround? Seems kind of odd. It's probably just VLC getting something wrong. I'll extract the audio to FLAC tonight or tomorrow with DVD Audio Explorer and play it again.

Either way, stoked about this release! Hope it's actually surround.
It's 4.0

You're missing the point. The original negatives (and possibly interpositives) still exist and were used for the DVD transfer a few years ago. They can still strike as many release prints as they like but they're expensive and it's unlikely that Pompeii will ever get a theatrical release again.

I could be wrong, and I'll have to re-check the DVD extra's with the Director interview of Pompeii, but if I remember correctly, he mentioned that all prints do not exist anymore, at least at that time. That's why they used old 4:3 video for the DVD. So, unless original negatives have been found after that DVD release or another print has been found, well, that's what makes finding the print so special. At least as I was led to believe.

EDIT: The other thing that makes the DVD crap is that they "Letterboxed" the 4:3 aspect ratio video.

I could be wrong, and I'll have to re-check the DVD extra's with the Director interview of Pompeii, but if I remember correctly, he mentioned that all prints do not exist anymore, at least at that time. That's why they used old 4:3 video for the DVD. So, unless original negatives have been found after that DVD release or another print has been found, well, that's what makes finding the print so special. At least as I was led to believe.

EDIT: The other thing that makes the DVD crap is that they "Letterboxed" the 4:3 aspect ratio video.
I don't think they used an old video source for the DVD, it either came from the conformed negatives or an interpositive. I wouldn't think the DVD could look so good otherwise. And I agree about the poor decision to letterbox the main feature, it looks like crap. And I hate the Director's Cut as well with all the new footage. I always watch the 4:3 version w/o the studio footage. I could be wrong about the source being the negatives and I'll look into this as well. In fact, I'll race ya. :D

You'll probably beat me to it, I have loads of discs piled on each other. :D

I know it would be work and probably not a "free" offer (or maybe so) but, that's why backing up the print with a 4K Spirit scanner if possible is now so important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34HwAl1uppA

Watch it at 19:52.

"When we wanted to do the director's cut we started to look around for extra shots, in other words "rushes" which had not been used in the film in the early 1971 and 1973 versions. Unfortunately the rushes had been lost. They cannot be found so we had to invent other ideas. In other words, of all the footage that we did nothing remains. Either a copy (interpositive) or the original negative, which is very sad but that's the case."

So there is no need to back up a print of any kind. It would be moot, end of discussion. If anything, the conformed negative should be scanned at 8k... or higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34HwAl1uppA

Watch it at 19:52.

"When we wanted to do the director's cut we started to look around for extra shots, in other words "rushes" which had not been used in the film in the early 1971 and 1973 versions. Unfortunately the rushes had been lost. They cannot be found so we had to invent other ideas. In other words, of all the footage that we did nothing remains. Either a copy (interpositive) or the original negative, which is very sad but that's the case."

So there is no need to back up a print of any kind. It would be moot, end of discussion. If anything, the conformed negative should be scanned at 8k... or higher.

I don't have a dog in this, but I agree, he says nothing exists. What has the director himself have to say about folks finding the print?

Thank you for saving the Quadraphonic audio.

Jim

I don't have a dog in this, but I agree, he says nothing exists. What has the director himself have to say about folks finding the print?

Thank you for saving the Quadraphonic audio.

Jim
I had nothing to do with this production. I just threw in a few $$$ to help out and know the folks that worked on it. Here's what was previously posted:

We have contacted Maben, and he has been very helpful. But he is not directly involved with this project. This is not to be an 'official' DVD of any kind. This is a by the fans - for the fans project, to preserve a piece of history. Universal Music and Maben currently have no plans for a blu-ray or anniversary edition of the film, and it seems the Floyd have no interest in the film either. Since neither Nick Mason, or Adrian Maben seem know if the multitracks or quad masters for this film still exist, this could quite possibly be the only chance we have to hear a multi channel mix of this film.

I'll ask if Maben had anything else to add and will report back.

In the related AFG forum it was mentioned that the negatives were missing but the multi-tracks existed.

In the related AFG forum it was mentioned that the negatives were missing but the multi-tracks existed.
I'll take Adrian's word over what was posted in the AFG forum. It's right there in the interview I previously posted.

EDIT: I just scanned all 12 pages of the Pompeii thread on AFG and there was nothing ever mentioned about the negatives being missing. The location of the original audio multitracks and quad master were the only things in question. If I'm wrong then please post a quote and source.

See the quote in post #88 over there. Seems the original post was deleted.

Hey everyone. I'm the guy who engineered this project, and I'd like to clear up some misconceptions.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The original negatives and multi-tracks still exist. The only thing that was lost was the UNUSED footage (being the footage that didn't make it into the final cut of the film). And the negatives were used for the Director's Cut DVD, as Adrian Maben stated in this 2003 interview with Brain Damage:

Adrian Maben said:
The DVD of The Director’s Cut was made directly from the 35mm negative of the intermediate version of Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii released in 1975. This means that the visual quality is definitely better than that of the VHS cassettes which were made from 35mm prints.

And regarding the multi-tracks:

Adrian Maben said:
The original sound tapes still exist (they were not incinerated) so perhaps, one day, a 5.1 surround sound mix of Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii should be made and distributed with additional photos and a booklet.
So there you have it.

Why DVD only quality, is it for lack of access to a HD film scanner? I work for a company that has a 4K Spirit scanner and Baselight grading suite if they want a proper HD version done...
The print we used was only available to us for less than a week, and we didn't have the money nor the means to scan it in 2K/4K. Seeing that the original elements still exist, and an eventual Blu-ray release is very likely, we decided that doing an HD transfer was not worth the time, money and effort.

That would be unnecessary (not to mention costly!), since the film was shot on 35mm. Scanning at 4K would be more than sufficient.

The only time when 8K scanning should be considered is if the source material is 65/70mm.

Hello supervehicle, thank you for the Quadraphonic transfer and joining us here! We owe you much for your work and efforts.

You came at the perfect time, I've been reading dozens of Pink Floyd threads tonight trying to get any info about Pompeii. By coincidence, I just read the post you pointed us to from the Director. Very informative! I also got this info (not completely sure about it) from this thread at another message board, yeeshkul: Live At Pompeii running fast? at post #45:

"In the case of Pompeii, a PAL source instead of an authentic film print was used for the DVD (as well as previous releases of the film). So since the NTSC version was transcoded from a PAL source, not only was the speed kept intact but a 2:4 pulldown appeared as a result. There was also some quality lost in the process."

My question, if you can answer it, how does the 35mm CinemaScope print differ from the all the Video versions released in terms of aspect ratios? I remember seeing this in a movie theater in 35mm. When I see the 4:3 Video, that seems like the theater print I recall seeing a long time ago, except that the sides are cut off and blacked out to fit it to 4:3 Video. The Director's cut seems to try and get the letterbox back by zooming in on the 4:3 Video.

Another question, if it's ok to ask, is how was the audio laid out on this print? There seems to have been "Stereo" theatrical versions shown at some point.

Again, thank you for your work. The main thing was the Quadraphonic audio and it is great!

Please let us know what we might do to help you should you want or need anything. Thanks.

Jim

Hey everyone. I'm the guy who engineered this project, and I'd like to clear up some misconceptions.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The original negatives and multi-tracks still exist. The only thing that was lost was the UNUSED footage (being the footage that didn't make it into the final cut of the film). And the negatives were used for the Director's Cut DVD, as Adrian Maben stated in this 2003 interview with Brain Damage

Que "Redemption Song" :banana:

On an unrelated note, I'm having trouble playing this DVD-A on my stand-alone player which plays pretty much every format (DVD-A, SACD, PAL, etc.). I tried burning the AUDIO_TS folder as a Data Disc, then I tried again adding an empty VIDEO_TS folder, then I tried burning both as a DVD video and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions from those who were able to successfully play this?

Back