DSD Downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vfalks

just came across this website. http://www.channelclassics.com/aboutdsd

(btw HI everyone <3)

do you think that label is ripping their own catalogue's physical SACDs in order to provide their DSD catalogue (and they'd have to be using the PS3 ripping method), or did they always have their DSD masters handy and they only had the DSD DAC as the catylyst to provide their DSD files?

Either way - I'm just happy the format got opened up and we owe a lot to Mr Wicked, my efforts were mostly groping in the dark with experiments that were starting to get results but weren't making much progress. (mind you they still could have full success if the hacking effort was applied to it, but there wasn't any motivation to complete the DVD drive method once ps3 one was achieved.)

It's just nice to see that something so 'illegal' actually had the sort of effect I said it would - open up legal and perfectly upright possibilities with the format, legal uses where people WANT to legitimately buy and store DSD direct from the label.

Channel Classics appear to be a label so they are only selling their own recordings, hence they would surely have access to DSD-encoded masters if they are producing SACDs.

I'm not sure about the pricing though. You could spend £23.78 on a DSD download but the SACD or a 24/96 FLAC download cost only £13.47. Still, it's always nice to have the choice.

http://www.channelclassics.com/meijer-33912.html

I know for a fact that Sony...themselves....didn't have access to their own DSD masters (for everything, or possibly lots of items in their catalogue) and in fact at the same time as 'our team' working on cracking SACD, they were also trying to find their own method of extracting working unencrypted 2CH and MCH files off SACD discs, in order to build up their own DSD library for the future. They were playing around with old SACD players, hacking them physically and all sort of things.

(I was in contact with an insider.)

It appears that we beat them to it and Sony are probably in their media services labs using our PS3 method to do this right now, so it's why I wouldn't be surprised if other labels are doing the same if they don't have access to any DSD masters of theirs anymore.

Are these DSD downloads playable on my Oppo BDP-95EU? It plays a variety of media files including 5.1 FLACs, but I've seen no statement about DSD files.

Out of curiosity, why would Sony not have access to their own masters? Since they probably did the authoring themselves (in-house) on Sonoma workstations, or are the cases you are referring to projects that were mastered outside?

Out of curiosity, why would Sony not have access to their own masters? Since they probably did the authoring themselves (in-house) on Sonoma workstations, or are the cases you are referring to projects that were mastered outside?
i know, they said believe it or not but some titles have their DSD masters missing and the only way to get them onto their DSD library is to rip it from the SACD disc. just another thing to laugh at sony at :) i'm a big fan of blu-ray though so... i don't blindly deride them :)

Anything being said on this thread is secondary to the fact that, um, VFALKS?! How have you been?!

Anything being said on this thread is secondary to the fact that, um, VFALKS?! How have you been?!
wow dka, how r u!!!!!!! i've been well, 'enjoying death' as Bond says (though no resurrection, sorry :p), just hoping you're still doing all that upmixing and experimenting and enjoying of music and life!

i guess i've just been plodding along in rl, the stuff that took me out of active service in these parts, ya know.....but i'm alive and well, thanks for asking. :)

any interesting news at ur end i should hear?

For all you downloaders there is a sale at AcousticSounds.com

Attachments

• downloaddeal.jpg
    downloaddeal.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 113
do you think that label is ripping their own catalogue's physical SACDs in order to provide their DSD catalogue (and they'd have to be using the PS3 ripping method), or did they always have their DSD masters handy and they only had the DSD DAC as the catylyst to provide their DSD files?
Channel Classics does have access to their masters. They have been kind enough to send me some, including a few of the session master files. Sony is a beaurocracy and susceptible to all kinds of screw-ups but CC is run by Jared Sacks who has control over all phases of the operation. In fact, if you go to his file distribution company, www.nativedsd.com, you can buy true DSD files from a number of labels.

BTW, his stuff is excellent.

FWIW, you might also look at 2L recordings, although their stuff is DXD-derived.

Channel Classics does have access to their masters. They have been kind enough to send me some, including a few of the session master files. Sony is a beaurocracy and susceptible to all kinds of screw-ups but CC is run by Jared Sacks who has control over all phases of the operation. In fact, if you go to his file distribution company, www.nativedsd.com, you can buy true DSD files from a number of labels.

BTW, his stuff is excellent.

FWIW, you might also look at 2L recordings, although their stuff is DXD-derived.

Agree with Kal. The Channel Classics DSD Downloads in Multichannel and Stereo are excellent. Jared Sacks also records on location vs. in a recording studio so the recordings have an excellent "you are there" quality. Also worth checking out on the Native DSD web store are the ones from Challenge Jazz and Challenge Classics. Also very well done.

For all you downloaders there is a sale at AcousticSounds.com

That's a good deal. A chance to stock up on the DSD Downloads at Super HiRez - including their new Multichannel and Stereo Live Blues Concerts. A deal even without the sale pricing!

Back