Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptiquesJeff

OK kiddies...I am on my second SQD-2020. First one made noises and one rear channel would drop out, but got somewhat better after a long warm-up. Second one had a busted power switch, which I swapped out from the first one. This one also makes a load of intermittent noises and what I believe are the logic circuits do not seem to switch on (rear channel sound changes from quiet and indistinct to distinct and with movement) until the unit has also warmed up (most of the noise stops then also). The noises are scratchy, static-y, intermittent, affecting all channels.

Also seems like the front (main tape returns to front amp) outputs on BOTH units do not work properly (first one had one good and one bad dull channel, 2nd one has very weak outputs in both l & r channels)...I am getting the front signals to my front amp by either just bypassing the unit altogether or using different front tape outputs on the SQD that sound fine.

Any hints, ideas, clues, suggestions, what may be the cause and or cure for these symptoms?

Thanks

OK.. I MAY have found the answer...the pc board has these rivets connecting the top to bottomside circuits, and these rivet connections go bad. So, cleaning and soldering the rivets to the board/circuit should solve the problems. I'll have at it this weekend. Maybe I can get both of them working better...one will have to be 'on' all the time since I only have one good power switch and will have to just jumper the busted one permanently 'on' for whenever power enters the ac cord. I'll 'practice' on that one first and see how it goes. If the rivets on the board ARE the main problem/cause, it should be an easy fix.

Aside from this analysis, anyone have any other ideas or things I should look for?

I saw your post yesterday and was going to let you know about the board connection issue but I got busy and forgot. Looks like you found the info anyway! Great! I wonder if you could find another power switch from another piece of equipment. A lot of stuff used similar switches. You may have to get creative with installing.

You could always do what you said and bypass the switch so it's always on, then get one of those clickwheel power switches to install on the power cord :p

You know the kind, like what was on the chain hanging lamps ;)

OK kiddies...here's how things went this weekend...

I was able to get the FIRST one, the one NOW missing the power switch, all fixed up inside...what everyone keeps calling 'rivets' I can only describe as tiny 'pins' going through the pcb. Resoldered 'em all...about 50. The unit is now currently working properly in my system!

The second unit, I resoldered the pins twice. It doesn't make noise now, but I've lost the rr channel. Going to give it one more try. If it works properly after that, I'll use it. If not, I'll pull the power switch back out and put it back into the original unit. Then I'll have an SQD-2020, in need of work, available, probably on ebay.

Latest update:

Third time must be the charm. 2020 #2 (the one originally with broken switch) is now working and in my system. Must have missed resoldering one or two of those pesky pins before. Also cleaned all the switches and pots. Now it seems to be working as good as or better than 2020 #1.

So, now to see where I can set up another complete quad system! We have 7 (!!) sytems of varying sizes between our house and cottage, but none of the other rooms are really conveniently sized or shaped for an easy quad install.

Just for fun with quad...I'm thinking now of how I can use my Kenwood 7340, the SQD-2020, and other components (turntable-will need a CD-4 capable cart, eq, subwoofer, dynamic range expander, cd, cassette) to get another full quad setup going, with CD-4 capability.

Last edited:
Great! You started out with two broken 2020's and now have two working ones! Except I huess the one power switch. Are you sure that switch can't be fixed?

But great job!

Jeff, you take the cake. You're nuttier than I am, if that's possible. I have 5 systems over two houses. 4 do 5.1 and 3 do various Quad formats. The main one has an SQD-2020.

...We have 7 (!!) sytems of varying sizes between our house and cottage, but none of the other rooms are really conveniently sized or shaped for an easy quad install.

Just for fun with quad...I'm thinking now of how I can use my Kenwood 7340, the SQD-2020, and other components (turntable-will need a CD-4 capable cart, eq, dynamic range expander, cd, cassette) to get another full quad setup going, with CD-4 capability.

Great! You started out with two broken 2020's and now have two working ones! Except I huess the one power switch. Are you sure that switch can't be fixed?

But great job!

Definitely not...there are missing and busted pieces. I can probably 'dummy' it up for looks, but it will just always be 'on.'

Thanks.

Jeff, you take the cake. You're nuttier than I am, if that's possible. I have 5 systems over two houses. 4 do 5.1 and 3 do various Quad formats. The main one has an SQD-2020.

HA yeah. Wife thinks so too. BTW, ALMOST all of the stuff in use and stashed for backups came from yard sales and fleas for literally pennies on the dollar, and a lot of it is SWEET vintage gear.

Most of mine was new when I got it. Having been in the business, I got many things for free in contests, or for 1/2 price or less directly from the manufacturers on accommodation. They're willing to sell directly for salespeoples' own use. If you own it and like it, you'll recommend it. Win/win.

I got a new SQ CD. Deep Purple SQ mix of Machine Head in the 40th Anniversary box, along with a DVD-V of the same mix. I have the original UK SQ LP of it, and a DVD-A. Listening to the DVD-V as I type this.

"My wife complained about all the housework. So, I bought her electric stove, microwave, mixer and dishwasher. Then, she complained, "too many gadgets, no place to sit down." So, I bought her an electric chair." - Henny Youngman

COOL! Yes, I recall you mentioning that elsewhere too.

SOME of the gear I have was bought new, mostly a long time ago.

I'm glad you got your two SQD-2020s (those "Qs" in quad model numbers are just the coolest) working again, Jeff.

I had the same thing in my two SQD-2050s and I got them both working again but they both have intermitancy every once in a great while. I put up with it since, like with yours, the problems go away after warm-up and it really is very seldom they occur.

The real way to fix those side-to-side connections is to remove the solder and pins and install flexible wires from one side to the other so board flex does not break the solder connections again. I will do this if the frequency of failure becomes annoying.

Just thought I'd let you know that little tidbit.

:D

Doug

So I got my SQD-2020 today from eBay. Wondering if there's an optimal way to patch this into my H/K 800+ receiver.

Here's how it's hooked up now:

I'm going from the Tape Out 1 on the H/K to the front L/R inputs on the Sony SQD-2020.

Then, from the Sony I'm going back to the H/K to the front speakers from the "preamp" L/R outputs and to the back channel, I'm using the low outputs as they seem to pair with my speakers better.

On the Sony, I found I have to have the volume all the way up.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

(wish I could find a manual online for the SQD-2020. Can only dig up the service manual).

Oh Quad Linda, what would I do without you???

I have the master volume all the way up. I have the individual front and back volumes at about 2 o'clock.

Are the levels all the way up on both the master volume, as well as the individual level controls to the right and left of the VU meters?

I'm not clear as to where you are feeding the front channels back into the HK but they should go back into a line level input like AUX. or TAPE or the like (not phono). Then the HK's controls will still affect the incoming signal (volume, tone controls, etc.) and the 2020's master control can be set and left there (my 2050's master is at about 1-2 o'clock).

Same with the back channels into the back amp. Then, the little controls on the back of the 2020 can be used to tweak the levels so the front and back are even with similar settings on their volume controls.

Doug

Last edited:
Back