HiRez Poll King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Hi. I'm somewhat new to this forum and excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread. I'm playing this disc on a PS3 and I cannot get this to play in DTS. I have several other KC 40th anniversary discs that play the DTS tracks fine. Is there a problem with this disc and DTS? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. I'm somewhat new to this forum and excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread. I'm playing this disc on a PS3 and I cannot get this to play in DTS. I have several other KC 40th anniversary discs that play the DTS tracks fine. Is there a problem with this disc and DTS? Any help would be appreciated.

No problems that I am aware of. DTS is definitely present on my copy of the DVD-A found in the box set.

The DTS is on my standalone copy as well. I have to use the DTS layer to get 5.1 on my rig, since S/PDIF (which is all my receiver can handle digitally) can't do more than 2 channels of PCM.

Apparently it's just an issue with my PS3, I have the original "fat" model. I played the disc on my Pioneer DV-610, and it recognized the DTS tracks without a problem. I hadn't heard Larks Tongues in quite a while, probably 10 years or more. Needless to say, I'd forgotten how great it was and I was completely blown away by the new surround mix. A definite 10.

This is wow... just wow.

The first track is really something in surround, I liked it a lot before but Muirs/Brufords slight chaotic interplay really comes to life now. As already mentioned the violin is better sounding now, the coda section with the spoken voices in the center is more effective now when the rears build up the nightmarish sounds from behind. Book Of Saturday, good as always, again the violin is not overly strained which makes this track highly crankable. Exiles is also very effective in a simple way, putting the initial haunting soundscapes in the back, creating an illusion that they're almost hovering over me. When the band kicks in it's just a nice breathing set of sounds that totally capsulate you. Easy Money, nice use of the quirky sounds in the rears, but what really shines here is Wettons bass in the fronts, wow, what a clear and punchy sound! The track that I looked forward to the most was The Talking Drum, I have always loved this. Now I really enjoy hearing the build up more carefully, what's really interesting now is how clearly everything sounds even when the crescendo comes, even Brufords hectic percussion is evident. Love it! The finishing track is pure chaos in motion, again the sounds are so detalied and clear that it doesn't even sound chaotic any longer, more controlled chaos.

10, easy.

This is wow... just wow.

The first track is really something in surround, I liked it a lot before but Muirs/Brufords slight chaotic interplay really comes to life now. As already mentioned the violin is better sounding now, the coda section with the spoken voices in the center is more effective now when the rears build up the nightmarish sounds from behind. Book Of Saturday, good as always, again the violin is not overly strained which makes this track highly crankable. Exiles is also very effective in a simple way, putting the initial haunting soundscapes in the back, creating an illusion that they're almost hovering over me. When the band kicks in it's just a nice breathing set of sounds that totally capsulate you. Easy Money, nice use of the quirky sounds in the rears, but what really shines here is Wettons bass in the fronts, wow, what a clear and punchy sound! The track that I looked forward to the most was The Talking Drum, I have always loved this. Now I really enjoy hearing the build up more carefully, what's really interesting now is how clearly everything sounds even when the crescendo comes, even Brufords hectic percussion is evident. Love it! The finishing track is pure chaos in motion, again the sounds are so detalied and clear that it doesn't even sound chaotic any longer, more controlled chaos.

10, easy.

I love it when someone loves this.... :) I remember the first time I heard ANY KC in surround...I was like WHOA!!! Shut the door...get out of town....out of bounds....whatever phrase you want. I still feel that way when I spin any of these discs...

I love it when someone loves this.... :) I remember the first time I heard ANY KC in surround...I was like WHOA!!! Shut the door...get out of town....out of bounds....whatever phrase you want. I still feel that way when I spin any of these discs...

I bet you watch Diners, Drive In,s and Dives.

For me it was..I GOT MY HEAD BLOWN OFF!!!!!!
KC in Surround,,,we re so lucky!!!!

I am working my way through the surround released I have collected over the years, but haven't been able to hear until I got a surround setup recently. Spun this one for the first time today. Just one word; PERFECTION! This one is up there as one of my "demo" discs now. A terrific album which becomes even more impressive with this superb mix. An easy 10!

I voted 10. Wow, what a workout in surround, heavy duty. Like having two bands, one in the front and one in the back opposing each other but coming as one.
Possibly the best surround I have ever heard, certainly of this genre.
After listening to this, Steven Wilson the solo artists, quite obviously gets everything he has from King Crimson.
Still learning about the band King Crimson but this was a real treat.
I listened of course MLP 5.1 at 60db, loud and good.
Watching video, would rather see without the psychedelia.
BTW, what the heck does Larks' Tongues In Aspic mean?

Back