HiRez Poll King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I voted this mix a 10 also[i'm listening on the Blu ray btw] it's amazingly good.
Nice. I may need a pay increase to come up with the £100.00. CDN$ 130.17 is almost affordable. Is it worth it?

Nice. I may need a pay increase to come up with the £100.00. CDN$ 130.17 is almost affordable. Is it worth it?

Burning shed still lists it..and still the best price

If you're a King Crimson completist .... It's worth it...some 12 CDs of reconditioned bootleg audio (as best they could be done)..and an entire cd of control room recording...the idea behind the box set is to make available every note that was recorded by and of this line up...and it looks fucking awesome on a shelf :)

Other than that...the standard cd/DVD edition is completely satisfying as well....

I had slight remorse getting the box because its the most I've ever dropped on a collection but it would have eaten at me more to have missed an opportunity to get it

Another vote for "most definitely"!
The bootlegs are a revelation and the CD with all the studio runthroughs (crystal clear sound there) is mind blowing.
This was the only boxset that we (my wife) have spent the most money on...would have liked to have the vinyl though....(I know, bitch bitch mama!!), but it's there in the bluray (both US and UK versions)...
and yes, it looks great!-very sturdy and no marbles!
( I have both the normal DVD-A and the box set now....yeah, call me a freak...)

With a few of those bootlegs, not only had David done a great job at resuscitating some of them, but there were also fresh transfers of some from 1/4" tape sources - the box set was a mammoth task indeed.

I may have missed something, but it seems Amazon went from "Pre-order now" to "Out of stock" with no intermediate phase in the listing for the CD/DVD-A issue.

Is there a reasonably-priced way to get the 5.1 issue?

Last edited:
I may have missed something, but it seems Amazon went from !Pre-order now" to "Out of stock" with no intermediate phase in the listing for the CD/DVD-A issue.

The 2 disc set here:
http://www.amazon.com/Larks-Tongues.../B00920QMLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357232295

Though it does say 'out of stock' ..I'm sure more will be available soon..the big box is limited to 7,000 only

Burning Shed's site still seems to have both in stock

[re posting without amazon link as it seems to trigger post moderation]

I may have missed something, but it seems Amazon went from !Pre-order now" to "Out of stock" with no intermediate phase in the listing for the CD/DVD-A issue.

The 2 disc set is reasonably priced

Though it does say 'out of stock' ..I'm sure more will be available soon..the big box is limited to 7,000 only

Burning Shed's site still seems to have both in stock

Guys - a little bit of shameless self-promotion here. Something not especially well publicised is that I have my own online web store Headphone Dust, ably run by Sirendurai, who provides flawless service / packing. We stock nearly all my own releases, as well as the King Crimson reissues (and hope to ultimately add all of the 5.1 releases I work on for other artists, of which a few more are on the way). For example, at the moment I think we have the best price for the Larks Tongues in Aspic 40th anniversary edition box set - although of course shipping is expensive if you aren't in the UK, and we are not able to deduct the VAT from your order if you are outside of the EU (which BS can). We also have a few things that are out of stock elsewhere, such as the book / 4 disc edition of the Get All You Deserve blu-ray/DVD/2CD.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/

Commercial over!

SW

PS - Pre-orders for the new solo album (out of 25th Feb) are currently exclusive to the Burning Shed in the UK - we will have copies once it's released, but the deluxe 4 disc book version is heading to be sold out by then, so that may well just be the standard Blu-Ray, CD and vinyl editions.

Great info Steven...Your work has seriously helped me appreciate early KC (pre-discipline) !

Everyone else, if you have not gotten it yet...do yourselves a favor and grab the box set while you can!

Guys - a little bit of shameless self-promotion here. Something not especially well publicised is that I have my own online web store Headphone Dust, ably run by Sirendurai, who provides flawless service / packing. We stock nearly all my own releases, as well as the King Crimson reissues (and hope to ultimately add all of the 5.1 releases I work on for other artists, of which a few more are on the way). For example, at the moment I think we have the best price for the Larks Tongues in Aspic 40th anniversary edition box set - although of course shipping is expensive if you aren't in the UK, and we are not able to deduct the VAT from your order if you are outside of the EU (which BS can). We also have a few things that are out of stock elsewhere, such as the book / 4 disc edition of the Get All You Deserve blu-ray/DVD/2CD.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/

Commercial over!

SW

PS - Pre-orders for the new solo album (out of 25th Feb) are currently exclusive to the Burning Shed in the UK - we will have copies once it's released, but the deluxe 4 disc book version is heading to be sold out by then, so that may well just be the standard Blu-Ray, CD and vinyl editions.

Shameless self-promotion is quite alright on here IMO as long as it furthers the cause for people getting to listen to great surround mixes (which this is) :)
Can't wait to hear what other artists (besides King Crimson and Jethro Tull) you've got 5.1 mixes lined up for!

Since we're in temporary commercial mode, I'll add that I've done a few orders from Headphone Dust and they *always* ship quickly, arrive intact and well packaged...so keep that web address handy when the reissue of Porcupine Tree “Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape” is ready to roll in the near future!

Brilliant release, has never sounded better. Trouble is, for me at least, that I feel now about this album as I did all those years ago when it came out: a bit underwhelmed. No question this is the definitive version for me, so perhaps being surrounded will enhance my appreciation for the album itself.

ok, now i will get kicked in the a...

Im the only 8... and i did it on purpose, no "i made a mistake" here.

The only reason for this is the following: In never heard ths album before, and althou the mix and fidelity are great as always, I didnt liek the music that much... I like discipline and ITCOTKC much more!

so there it is... start hating :chill

The only reason for this is the following: In never heard ths album before, and althou the mix and fidelity are great as always, I didnt liek the music that much... I like discipline and ITCOTKC much more!

Keep listening. Might not be the most accessible KC album but once you get it it is a joy.

If LTIA Pt.1 sounds like a good original pressing (and no noise to boot), the sound dynamics will eventually give you goosebumps.

Saludos.

Keep listening. Might not be the most accessible KC album but once you get it it is a joy.

As one how discovered KC during the Discipline era...I totally agree with this statement..I have a much better appreciation for the earlier catalog as a result

i didnt say i dislike it, i do like it, but my jaw is still in its place after a few listens and with discipline it broke and fell to the floor... :yikes i still gave it an 8, whic is pretty damn good in my opinion. 10 is perfect, 9 is... uuuhh.. i almost died, but didnt...

Stunning. This could be my favorite mix so far in a universally brilliant re-issue campaign. Absolutely fantastic. 10+

ok, now i will get kicked in the a...

Im the only 8... and i did it on purpose, no "i made a mistake" here.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone on this forum to take you to task for voting an 8 - it's your opinion and your entitled to it. People can disagree and explain why, but there should be no hating. At least you took credit for your vote - I do "hate" it when people vote lower than the status quo and are not willing to stand up for their opinion. An 8 is an OK vote - it's just that you're wrong ;)

Back