DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
Sorry guys, I still keep waiting for a flawless lossless surround release after all.

I appreciate that some of you think this release sounds better than others. However to me it is clear that something has gone wrong, as I barely recognise it as the mix I delivered. I am discussing with EMI - the glitches near the start of Part 1 on the 5.1 streams certainly need to be rectified, and this may yet prove to be a silver lining. I am sorry for this lapse in quality control. *Please* keep this info just to this forum for the time being please, as nothing is official from EMI's side, however I thought you guys should know, as I do hope things will be fixed. In the meantime if you do decide to return your copies to whevever you bought them on the basis that you aren't happy with the quality, I think that would be an entirely reasonable course of action. Thanks for your attention.

SW

It certainly would be amazing if Steven could convince EMI to let Neil have a go at authoring the disc using a flat transfer of the mix, similar to the ELP releases. Then there would be absolutely NO questions about the quality. :)

It certainly would be amazing if Steven could convince EMI to let Neil have a go at authoring the disc using a flat transfer of the mix, similar to the ELP releases. Then there would be absolutely NO questions about the quality. :)

if only our dream team of SW & NW could twist EMI's arms to make the replacement disc a cute lil' DVD-A.. or even a BD so we could actually see the paper.. ;) ;)

ah.. what am I thinking..!?! :slap:

I appreciate that some of you think this release sounds better than others. However to me it is clear that something has gone wrong, as I barely recognise it as the mix I delivered. I am discussing with EMI - the glitches near the start of Part 1 on the 5.1 streams certainly need to be rectified, and this may yet prove to be a silver lining. I am sorry for this lapse in quality control. *Please* keep this info just to this forum for the time being please, as nothing is official from EMI's side, however I thought you guys should know, as I do hope things will be fixed. In the meantime if you do decide to return your copies to whevever you bought them on the basis that you aren't happy with the quality, I think that would be an entirely reasonable course of action. Thanks for your attention.

SW
Thank you, Steven Wilson.
The 5.1 mix seems fine, (really enjoying side two at a quiet level, you can't really crank this because of the overbearing cymbals) the bleeding cymbals seem to be the most problematic, especially before the 7 minute mark of side one. The cymbals certainly do not need to be pushed beyond what is found on the flat transfer.

We'll survive ;)

Quad Linda;164650 The stereo masters weren't available in time for the late '67 release of MMT. So said:
I don't... mofi messed up on mmt for the box set...but they used the right one for the cassette .(although there is low level hum on the cassette in the blank space between the three tracks on side 2)
the first non box mofi issue of mmt came from capitol.
not to mention ignoring the inner groove of sgt pepper on the mofi box set and the UHQR

reasons for the screwups probably had something to do with the fact that they had only 2 weeks use of the tapes to do the box set...as well as a complete test pressing run in UHQR format...not to mention the fright they got when someone tried to steal their baggage with all the tapes inside at Heathrow airport

I'm planning to keep mine with the, not unreasonable, expectation that there will be a replacement disc forthcoming. Even if there is not, set is worth keeping IMO.

I ordered my copy from Amazon.uk and I have alerted them of the problem and they said they are creating a problem ticket to follow up from their end.
I did not give them any of the information that SW has stated, only information I had seen posted on other amazon.com site and gave them a reference to complaints from there as well.
I would think even those that are keeping their copy, I know its a pain, but put in a complaint from wherever you ordered from so that EMI gets the message, this is not acceptable.

Steven Wilson's remix of album is interrupted by the St. Cleve Poltergeist Brick!
PoltergeistBrick.jpg

From Jethro Tull's Facebook

STOP PRESS: AUDIO GLITICHES ON TAAB 40th Special Edition DVD

We have been alerted to the fact that there are three small audio glitches on the 5.1 streams on the DVD part of the Thick As A Brick Special Edition CD/DVD set. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Any new stock going into stores will be amended & for fans who’ve already purchased the set we will be making available a replacement DVD disc for you. More information to follow shortly. This occurred in the very final stage of mastering prior to manufacture of the commercial run of product and was not noticed until attentive early purchasers spotted the digital errors. With our apologies.

EMI Music, Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson.

Despite the prior post (hah!) I don't believe EMI is going to do anything. They did nothing about the digital glitches on the Aqualung release, did they? So why would anyone think they will do something about this release? I know I won't be liking it any better without the digital glitches. Maybe if Ian Anderson got involved by grousing about the mastering job but does anyone seriously think that will happen? At best we may get the opportunity to buy a lossless BR of the unvarnished new mixes at some time in the indefinite future. Maybe a 50th anniversary edition?

So despite the complaining, including my own, I'm keeping it. The excellent flat transfer of the original 1972 mix turns out to be the real prize here.

Despite the prior post (hah!) I don't believe EMI is going to do anything. They did nothing about the digital glitches on the Aqualung release, did they? So why would anyone think they will do something about this release? I know I won't be liking it any better without the digital glitches. Maybe if Ian Anderson got involved by grousing about the mastering job but does anyone seriously think that will happen? At best we may get the opportunity to buy a lossless BR of the unvarnished new mixes at some time in the indefinite future. Maybe a 50th anniversary edition?

So despite the complaining, including my own, I'm keeping it. The excellent flat transfer of the original 1972 mix turns out to be the real prize here.

EMI most certainly are repressing the disc - still as a DVD, and officially only to fix the glitches, but (again just between me and this forum) please take another listen to the whole 5.1 mix when you get your replacement. It will still include the same flat transfer of the original mix, so nothing to lose.

I don't think EMI know about the digital glitches on Aqualung. I confess I've never heard them either, can you tell me where they are?

SW

Aqualung 40th:
Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

Excuse me for being blunt, unless Peter Mew's mastering is removed from this release, it will remain too damn bright forever.

oh it's him.. :rolleyes:
Now my rant;>) or oh let me rant.
I'm fed up with Tull sounding too bright for my taste. Like Steven Wilson said about Aqualung, "Peter Mew seems to have added some extra brightness, around the 10-12K area - I can't say I prefer it that way, but again it's a taste thing."
This time with TAAB the cymbals are destroyed in parts of the 5.1 mix. Ignoring the glitches. The 5.1 mix is a treat at lower levels. For me, less bright and it would be a perfect 5.1 experience. Subtle surround when it needs to be. Listening at a reasonable level it will do, cranked then I have a real problem with the top end. You get tired of the cymbal sound by the 7 minute mark.

Let's not forget:
http://www.amazon.ca/Thick-As-Brick...F8&qid=1348072308&sr=8-43&tag=vglnk-ca-c93-20
"I did notice that at the very end of the album, the "Yeah" that Ian Anderson quietly says, after the final "to be thick as a brick" is sung, IS MISSING! I mean c'mon. With such a big deal re-mix 40th Anniversary Deluxe Package of this classic, done I would assume, for the rabid fan (who would notice these things), and not the casual listener, you'd think all possible homework would have been done. It makes me wonder what else is missing or drastically changed." - Ozzy

Aqualung 40th:
Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and Blu-ray:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on Blu-ray:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

Thank you for this. I just listened. The 3 glitches on the 5.1 mix are annoying, though perhaps because I'm a seasoned vinyl listener, and they remind me of vinyl ticks which I'm so used to, they don't annoy me as much as the TAAB glitches - still no excuse of course. The repeating section at the end of Cross Eyed Mary is just the very tail end of the reverberating final chord, and only heard at significant volume. Though again that's not very good and I'm not happy that it happened.

The glitches on the original stereo transfer are indeed horrible.

I will mention to EMI and Ian these issues, I very much doubt they are aware of them.

S

Now my rant;>) or oh let me rant.
I'm fed up with Tull sounding too bright for my taste. Like Steven Wilson said about Aqualung, "Peter Mew seems to have added some extra brightness, around the 10-12K area - I can't say I prefer it that way, but again it's a taste thing."
This time with TAAB the cymbals are destroyed in parts of the 5.1 mix. Ignoring the glitches. The 5.1 mix is a treat at lower levels. For me, less bright and it would be a perfect 5.1 experience. Subtle surround when it needs to be. Listening at a reasonable level it will do, cranked then I have a real problem with the top end. You get tired of the cymbal sound by the 7 minute mark.

Let's not forget:
http://www.amazon.ca/Thick-As-Brick...F8&qid=1348072308&sr=8-43&tag=vglnk-ca-c93-20
"I did notice that at the very end of the album, the "Yeah" that Ian Anderson quietly says, after the final "to be thick as a brick" is sung, IS MISSING! I mean c'mon. With such a big deal re-mix 40th Anniversary Deluxe Package of this classic, done I would assume, for the rabid fan (who would notice these things), and not the casual listener, you'd think all possible homework would have been done. It makes me wonder what else is missing or drastically changed." - Ozzy

With some trepidation I say that I don't think any of these concerns will still be relevant when you receive the new pressing of the disc.

Back