DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
Just got good news by Amazon.de. EMI plans to replace the DVD end of Nov. All I had to do is to forward the Amazon email with my street address to some German EMI email. I think it is the right time to contact your vendors.
I did not contact Amazon - the email was send automatically to me. So if you are an Amazon customer you simply might want to wait a few days for your email. It seems EMI (at least in Germany) wants to fix this without a lot of hassle for all of us.

Markus

Just got good news by Amazon.de. EMI plans to replace the DVD end of Nov. All I had to do is to forward the Amazon email with my street address to some German EMI email. I think it is the right time to contact your vendors.
I did not contact Amazon - the email was send automatically to me. So if you are an Amazon customer you simply might want to wait a few days for your email. It seems EMI (at least in Germany) wants to fix this without a lot of hassle for all of us.

Markus

that is great news, Markus! :)

let's hope Amazon & EMI UK (and US!) etc.. all follow suit!

I would like to know the time frames that these "glitches" are. I guess my ears are not as discerning as you all in the TAAB release. Please give me some exact times so I can check them out. I am only listening to this in my car. Thanks!

I never thought I'd say this about a surround remix, let alone one by Steven Wilson, but after doing careful comparisons with all the versions in this new package with my old Mo-Fi Ultradisc, I have to say I vastly prefer the Mo-Fi. While the Mo-Fi lacks the clarity and definition of the 96/24 mixes, it has significantly more bass and mid-range, and wisely cuts back on the higher frequencies. Tonally, it makes for a superior and less fatiguing listen. Although I really like the surround "mix" Steven Wilson has done, the lack of bottom end and ear bleeding brightness of the overall sound just kills it for me at higher volumes. Even the so-called "flat" original stereo transfer is way too bright for my taste. When you combine that with the drop out glitches at the beginning and the cut off "yeah" at the end, it really adds up to an unacceptable release. In any case, it sounds like EMI may be willing to correct these mistakes but I wonder if they'll also be willing to replace the Aqualung Blu-Ray that has an unlistenable original stereo mix due to loud pops and clicks amongst other minor flaws. Since I purchased my copies from BurningShed, does anyone know if they will be handling the replacements (if they actually materialize) or do we go to EMI directly?

... Since I purchased my copies from BurningShed, does anyone know if they will be handling the replacements (if they actually materialize) or do we go to EMI directly?

I emailed BurningShed yesterday and got this response:

Hi Barry
Thanks for the email
We are waiting for news from EMI about the defective discs, as soon as we have info we will email everyone who has bought a copy from us.

Kind regards
Lisa Quattromini
[email protected]

Hi Barry
Thanks for the email
We are waiting for news from EMI about the defective discs, as soon as we have info we will email everyone who has bought a copy from us.

Kind regards
Lisa Quattromini
[email protected]

I also had an email conversation with Lisa. You have to admire their customer support - worth every additional penny you eventually have to pay even if it is up front IMHO.

I would like to know the time frames that these "glitches" are. I guess my ears are not as discerning as you all in the TAAB release. Please give me some exact times so I can check them out. I am only listening to this in my car. Thanks!
2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1"

2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1"

I listened to the entire disc last night without these references to where the glitches are located and heard nothing unusual. Then, this afternoon I went back and listened again using these times as a reference. I still don't hear any glitches. I was expecting to hear some digital pops or something, but I didn't hear a thing.
Last night when I listened to the disc it was after listening to a bunch of stereo vinyl, so there was a noticeable "brightness" to the recording in comparison to analog vinyl. But, bright sounding digital recordings are not all that uncommon, so it didn't seem more so than lots of other recordings I listen to. Also, I did not notice anything problematic with the cymbals that a lot of people are unhappy with. So, I'm not certain if I'm just not hearing what everyone else is hearing or if it's there and I'm just not noticing it.
I'm wondering if these "glitches" are at a consistent location on all the recordings where people have heard them?

Have just approved the new replacement DVD and it sounds wonderful now! At least to me it does, if you still think the 5.1 sucks then only me left to blame, flat transfer / no glitches (-:

Thank you, Steven Wilson. (out on a ledge) ;)

Please send that flat transfer version to Canada. I hope the flat transfer makes its way to the Canadian version (whenever that occurs).

I've had my fill of the album for now, a few months wait won't bother me. Any chance of a Blu-ray in the future?

Have just approved the new replacement DVD and it sounds wonderful now! At least to me it does, if you still think the 5.1 sucks then only me left to blame, flat transfer / no glitches (-:

Wow, thanks a lot for getting involved and helping us all out. Really appreciate your effort. Can't wait to hear the replacement.

K

Wow, thanks a lot for getting involved and helping us all out. Really appreciate your effort. Can't wait to hear the replacement.

K

Thanks Steven for your effort, truly appreciated.

Maybe it's time to make a sticky separate thread with the infos on how to get the replacement disc?

Hi Barry
Thanks for the email

Kind regards
Lisa Quattromini
[email protected]

FANTASTIC!
Thanks Lisa, we appreciate all of the effort.

Frantic :smokin

Patience is a virtue. Especially for a Tull fan. Laughing all the way, got to.

My big question, is how will replacement discs be handled? I purchased my copy from Amazon.ca (even though I live in the US - since I ordered it with the LP set at a very low price). The funny thing is they shipped the CD/DVD set, and still have the LP set on backorder. If I knew that was going to happen, I would have gotten the CD/DVD set locally!

Regardless, I do want a replacement for the DVD and hope the information about how to get one comes soon!!

Hi Mike, Amazon.de sent an email to people who purchased the set. Said email could be forwarded to a German email address of EMI, to state your home address. Replacement dvd will be send directly to own's home address. Not sure how other retailers will handle this.

Hi Mike, Amazon.de sent an email to people who purchased the set. Said email could be forwarded to a German email address of EMI, to state your home address. Replacement dvd will be send directly to own's home address. Not sure how other retailers will handle this.

Hi Robert,

After I did there was no feedback from EMI like "thank you for your email, ....". Did you get something?

Markus

Hello Markus,

No, I did not receive anything either. But as Mr. Anderson and Mr. Wilson are on the case, I guess it will work out fine.

I also added a request to release stuff like this as dvd-a or bd-a in future, but I am not surprised that I did not get a response to that :)

Hello Markus,

No, I did not receive anything either. But as Mr. Anderson and Mr. Wilson are on the case, I guess it will work out fine.

I also added a request to release stuff like this as dvd-a or bd-a in future, but I am not surprised that I did not get a response to that :)

My guess is, that some student gets the job to transfer the addresses to some excel sheet. I would wonder if some decider comes even close to consumers opinions.

Markus

So I wonder how long it will be before the fixed disc is actually released in the box. I didn't get my set yet.

Back