DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this release that comes with a DTS and Dolby 5.1 Audio DVD.(n) (y)

Attachments

• 51qTGYN6NsL._AA300_JETHROTHICK.jpg
    51qTGYN6NsL._AA300_JETHROTHICK.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,297
Just had a complete listen to the DTS96/24 5.1 mix without the family present, so it was at a decent volume. First up, the sound is great but it's not as big a jump in quality as Aqualung was because TAAB sounded pretty decent in the first place. The 5.1 mix is typical Steven Wilson and is very true in overall sound balance to the stereo so it all sounds familiar. The sound quality is pretty darn good given that it's not lossless and it can be cranked to great effect. Like the original, I didn't experience a lot of bass and therein lies my only disappointment.

The acoustic guitars come through very cleanly, as do the drums. The mix is inventive in its use of the surrounds with several of the more obvious musical cues bouncing around the four corners of the soundfield. Some things really do shine, for example the short orchestral passage near the end of side two. One other thing, I think I heard several small dropouts during side one. I didn't replay them to see if they were just glitches, so I'll be interested to see if anybody else hears them.

Overall, I'll give it an 8.

Did you try the stereo LPCM mixes?

I sampled the first five minutes of both. The original 1972 stereo (flat transferred) sounds to my ears exactly the same as the 25th anniversary remaster. The 2012 Steven Wilson stereo remix 'opens up' the sound. The acoustic guitars sound crisper, the vocals clearer. The part of the mix I listened to sounded equivalent to the original as far as the individual elements are concerned, but with an overall brighter presentation. Does this make sense?

The difference is certainly audible, just not as big an improvement as Aqualung was.

Just had a complete listen to the DTS96/24 5.1 mix without the family present, so it was at a decent volume. First up, the sound is great but it's not as big a jump in quality as Aqualung was because TAAB sounded pretty decent in the first place. The 5.1 mix is typical Steven Wilson and is very true in overall sound balance to the stereo so it all sounds familiar. The sound quality is pretty darn good given that it's not lossless and it can be cranked to great effect. Like the original, I didn't experience a lot of bass and therein lies my only disappointment.

The acoustic guitars come through very cleanly, as do the drums. The mix is inventive in its use of the surrounds with several of the more obvious musical cues bouncing around the four corners of the soundfield. Some things really do shine, for example the short orchestral passage near the end of side two. One other thing, I think I heard several small dropouts during side one. I didn't replay them to see if they were just glitches, so I'll be interested to see if anybody else hears them.

Overall, I'll give it an 8.

not more EMI digital glitches..?!?

popped home briefly for lunch and its arrived this morning while I was out.. quick first impression..

as far as the physical package itself goes, its nice enough but while i flick through the book.. i get the overwhelming feeling its needlessly been scaled down..

..it strikes me that the one time EMI would have been truly justified putting a DVD with the 5.1 remix into an LP, in LP-sized packaging, as they have done a good few times now, so that the artwork/newspaper could have been presented properly (rather than scaled down into a smaller book) they inexplicably chose not to..!!!

quick listen to side one, the surround mix is nice enough.. but the sound still has that slightly compressed/congested/boomy mid-range, especially on the rhythm section, that the albums always had, still with a lean bottom end. bit disappointing. a little extra EQ-ing would have helped boost the bass a bit and open up the mid, where it sorely needs it.

I need to listen to it carefully several times all the way through before I can make a proper judgement.. it may grow on me.. but right now I'd probably give it a "7", maybe an "8".. when this is one of my all-time favourite albums.. and here it is in surround.. and I SO want to give it a "10".. but I really don't feel the package as a whole deserves it :(

I was very pleased by the surround mix and although a little disappointed by being DTS I thought the sound was good as I heard elements in the mix that I had not heard before. It did get me wondering why we had Aqualung in bluray, TAAB 1&2 were lossless. Anyway, glad to see a new surround release and am glad I have it. I will give it an 8. The package is nice just a little bummed that I have one more shape to fit with all the other surround discs.

I get the feeling the presentation and format for Aqualung was an experiment to see how well it sold.
There's also factoring in that it is arguably JT's biggest album, so the conviction was there that it deserved such lavish treatment, along the lines of the PF Immersion boxes.

My guess after that is that when it didn't sell as well as EMI had hoped, they decided that any surround/deluxe releases in future would be less costly affairs for them to produce and so cheaper for end users, perhaps in the hope they might sell more than the pricey Aqualung set.

Quite how many units EMI were hoping to shift of such a niche high-ticket item as that Aqualung box set is anybody's guess...

http://www.amazon.ca/Thick-As-Brick...80/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1348072308&sr=8-43
By Ozzy:
I did notice that at the very end of the album, the "Yeah" that Ian Anderson quietly says, after the final "to be thick as a brick" is sung, IS MISSING! I mean c'mon. With such a big deal re-mix 40th Anniversary Deluxe Package of this classic, done I would assume, for the rabid fan (who would notice these things), and not the casual listener, you'd think all possible homework would have been done. It makes me wonder what else is missing or drastically changed.

The final "Yeah" was missing from the 25th anniversary edition too. You can hear the "Yeah" on the MFSL CD.

Yeah, I guess it's OK if it's missing from a remix. However, that "yeah" should not be missing from the original stereo flat transfer. That's wrong!

Yeah, I guess it's OK if it's missing from a remix. However, that "yeah" should not be missing from the original stereo flat transfer. That's wrong!

well i guess we can safely say its not a transfer of the original album's stereo mix (flat or otherwise).

I gave the (so-called) LPCM flat stereo (blah blah) a very brief play just now and its certainly lower in volume level than the SW remixes but that's all I can say for certain.. it certainly doesn't sound much cop, even when cranked.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=8222502&postcount=108 Possible Glitch?
Has anyone else noticed a few vocal glitches near the beginning of part 1? Right around the "spin me back down the years and the days of my youth" lyric some of the vocals seem clipped.

Might be a defective copy, but it does show up on the Dolby and DTS mixes on my DVD. Have tried it on several players, same results.

Hopefully it is just my copy, but wanted to check with others before returning it.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=267638&page=8

"spin me back down the years and the days of my youth"
The word down is messed (slight drop) up on the dts mix.
The next "down" (2:49) seems weird too.

two glitches so far

Look away...

Let's just say that the cymbals are too over the top on the surround sound mix. At about the 7 minute mark there's slight cymbal torture. The original flat transfer sound is suspiciously close to the 25th anniversary edition.

OH NO! :eek:

you know what, I have about any one of 100+ (probably more like 200+ if i really put my mind to it) OOP Hi-Res surround things on my to-get list that I could have put this money towards instead..

...of albums I haven't owned - and heard - loads of times before..

..and would any of those have had any glitches etc.. maybe.. but I doubt it..

..add to that, OOP things would have gone up in value while I enjoyed listening to them, whereas this release will most likely be worth less in time than I paid for it now.

as it is, I buy these new releases to support the cause and keep more surround music coming..

..but it really feels like a kick in the teeth when there are so many GOOF-UPS on these damned things.. don't even get me started on the lack of a proper DVDA in this TAAB set when it could have been done so easily and without adding extra expense to the package..!!!!

if the upcoming Zeppelin BD-A and Rush 2112 5.1's aren't upto snuff, I don't know what I'm gonna do..!!!!

(rant over. sorry).

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=267638&page=8

"spin me back down the years and the days of my youth"
The word down is messed (slight drop) up on the dts mix.
The next "down" (2:49) seems weird too.

two glitches so far

These were fairly easy to fix by patching in the audio from the SW stereo mix to the 5.1 center channel. Luckily, it is just Ian's vocal and acoustic guitar at that point; so the stereo matched the audio in 5.1 mix center channel.

These were fairly easy to fix by patching in the audio from the SW stereo mix to the 5.1 center channel. Luckily, it is just Ian's vocal and acoustic guitar at that point; so the stereo matched the audio in 5.1 mix center channel.

I greatly admire your skills and expertise in this area! you're a real whizz! ..but (as you know ;) ) I'm totally incapable of such sonic surgery..!!

there's also a wider issue.. the principle of it all.. in as much as I don't feel you should have to fork out $30 on something and then fix it yourself because the people involved didn't/couldn't get it right in the first place..!!

there's also a wider issue.. the principle of it all.. in as much as I don't feel you should have to fork out $30 on something and then fix it yourself because the people involved didn't/couldn't get it right in the first place..!!

I completely agree. But if I paid my thirty... I'm going to find a way to fix it! And not feel bad about ripping the wavs in the least!

Is this actually in stores? I went to Best Buy and they have it listed for 11/13.

Back