HiRez Poll Barber, Patricia - MODERN COOL [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA Release of Patricia Barber - MODERN COOL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 Blu-Ray audio release on Premonition Records (from Koch) (n):phones(y)

Patricia Barber BD.jpg

Here's an excerpt from the liner notes:
"This blu-ray release is different from the others and is a true second act. Rather than a rerelease of the 1998 stereo mix, we've gone back to the source, using the original multi-track session recordings. We started from scratch and have remixed the music for 5.1 surround release. Thus marks Patricia Barber's move from stereo goddess to surround vixen."

I'm going insane! How do these guys justify such language? The mix is pitiful. You know when you listen to a surround mix for the first time and you just know that the guy who mixed it was thinking in stereo. You know where 80% of the sound is coming from the 3 front speakers. And if you put your ear up to one of the rear speakers you can hear a repeat of what's coming from the corresponding front speaker.

Please, we are not dummies. Don't act like you know surround. Go learn something and come back and blow me away.

I'm going insane! How do these guys justify such language? The mix is pitiful. You know when you listen to a surround mix for the first time and you just know that the guy who mixed it was thinking in stereo. You know where 80% of the sound is coming from the 3 front speakers. And if you put your ear up to one of the rear speakers you can hear a repeat of what's coming from the corresponding front speaker.
And where does he put Barber in the mix? :confused:

C'mon Kal, work with me here. Her voice is FL & FR. The rest of the music in those channels is duplicated in the rears.

Yup and not in the center which conveys yet another duplicate of the instrumental tracks. Awful balancing.

Do not understand the massive criticism on this one. I am picky with my surround mixes as well but even if not perfect I find this mix very likable. The sonics overall is very impressive.

Do not understand the massive criticism on this one. I am picky with my surround mixes as well but even if not perfect I find this mix very likable. The sonics overall is very impressive.
No question about the fidelity - it is high-rez and from that perspective it is impressive. That voice - wow! And the music - love that too - and I'm not even a jazz listener. Maybe that is why this disc frustrates me so much. It could have been a treasure.

Agreed! This disc could have been a surround pleasure, but the balancing is not only questionable, but quite inconsistent. No way to get a mood going at ala.

Caveat: stereo layer is great. Oh well...

I enjoyed the 5.1 mix because of the very impressive fidelity of the recording. I agree that there is some inconsistency in the mix that is little uncomfortable at times. And, I agree with wavelength that it really is a boring 5.1 mix. Very little use of the rear speakers. It is a missed opportunity.

That being said, I am happy with the purchase. I'll definitely give it repeated listens, perhaps more frequently in stereo than 5.1 however.

It is a tough one to rate really, because the surround mix is probably a 5 at best, while the music an fidelity are most definitely a 10. I'll go with 8 I think....

Any idea as to why this won the grammy for best surround sound album?

Because the rules permit any member, regardless of knowledge or background, to vote for any category. It is a popularity contest.

Any idea as to why this won the grammy for best surround sound album?

While this Grammy category has importance to the members here on this forum (none of whom, I will guess - can vote), it is the equivalent of "Best documentary - Short form" at the Academy Awards.

Anyway, the Grammy system has recognized Steven Wilson as a surround music artist with giving him the highest number (4) of nomination in popular music genre.

The music and the sound quality are a delight. The surround mix is not amazing but I still enjoy it a lot as I appreciate an immersive mix. I know that my wife and I will return to it regularly.

spectacular soundquality! Mostly decent surround mix, appropriate for this kind of music, though a bit differing from track to track.

This is one of those releases where you don't have to mess or trick with the separation too much, as the cheer sound quality is already all over the place in stereo. Such sweeping, warming sound, this is right up there with Krall and Norah. Sure, mix wise not a killer but that's not really necessary here in my opinion, it's immersive enough.

I'm giving this a 9.

Found it cheap, quite lucky I guess looking at the current prizes.

I ditched my surround rears several months ago and went with 4 matching full-range speakers. I just came back to this release since making that change. It's a brand new mix for me now. This one really taught me a lesson about why I want full-range matching rears. Played the album the whole way through and enjoyed the rather unique approach that the surround mixer took; uneven at times, not overpowering - perhaps a bit too subtle in spots but nevertheless mainly effective. Obvious now but with di-pole surrounds the mix was completely lost on me.

I ditched my surround rears several months ago and went with 4 matching full-range speakers. I just came back to this release since making that change. It's a brand new mix for me now. This one really taught me a lesson about why I want full-range matching rears. Played the album the whole way through and enjoyed the rather unique approach that the surround mixer took; uneven at times, not overpowering - perhaps a bit too subtle in spots but nevertheless mainly effective. Obvious now but with di-pole surrounds the mix was completely lost on me.

Absolutely. 4 full range speakers properly imaged, etc. are a thing of rare beauty. Modern Cool is a revelation of stellar sonics and a surround engagement that dazzles......in an extremely tasteful way.

I gave this one a 10 years ago long before I read any reviews or criticisms of the mix. I rarely give out 10's.

Sometimes when you look at DR numbers or read reviews, that is what you end up hearing. Listening with your eyes so to speak.

The album in surround for me never disappoints.

Back