Al Stewart - Year of the Cat and Time Passages???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The record industry has always been built on screwing the artist and the consumer. In recent years, with file sharing and CD burning, the consumer has had a chance to screw the record companies. Sadly, the artist gets screwed in that equation, too. For the sake of the artists and to have the "real" product, I've still bought the official releases.

As to Rhino, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for them and the Grateful Dead. A few years ago, I placed an order with Rhino's Grateful Dead on line for some Dave's Picks on the last day of a promotion which included bonus discs. The order went into hyperspace. I called before the day was over. When I finally spoke with the guy in customer service who claimed he was Lord God and the only person who handled the Grateful Dead, I got no satisfaction and no bonus discs. My order was over $300. He was massively arrogant. This was before WEA's great purge at Rhino. Quadio is the only Rhino product I've bought since. So much for the hippie "Good Old Grateul Dead." BTW: I've spent thousands on Grateful Dead software over the years. The estate trial of Jerry Garcia and how Carolyn "Mountain Girl" got screwed is another example of this equitable hippie Grateful Dead mentality.

I was sales manager in the '80's for a company which was acquired by our biggest competiitor. The President of the firm that acquired us was the former President of a large record label. I tried to hire a man I formerly worked with, only to be told that it was against company policy, since his wife worked for another division. The President's wife was his secretary, however. After i left, I was told they were both fired by their parent company for misappropriation of funds.

The record labels have always been ruthless assholes and probably always will be. And, yes, I'm jaded. Thieves one and all.

Thanks to another amazing QQer, my dreams have finally come true and I can listen to these mixes. I figured I'd contribute my 2 cents.

Right off the bat: these are 4.1 mixes. The center channel is silent.

Secondly: HOLY SHIZ. Oh my God these mixes are amazing. Though I was only vaguely familiar with "Time Passages" before, "Year of the Cat" is, to me, one of the finest examples of pop music out there. I truly and deeply love this song, everything about it is perfect - the rich instrumentation, the long solos, Al Stewart's vocals and last but not least, oh the poetry in these lyrics. It's brilliant. And the mix, just like "Time Passages", opens it up amazingly.

Year of the Cat starts with the pianos only in the rears before the bass/drums come in from everywhere. The sonics are outstanding, strong bass response and crystal-clear. Throughout both songs, there is very clear and well-thought-out separation, with Al's vocals in the front L+R while, for instance, the orchestration swells up in the back and fills the room from there. The instrumental solos in "Cat" are so clear (all in the fronts, I thought it would have been cool to have one in the back but it may even be better this way) that you can almost touch the instruments.

I love this.

I'll back up The Bright Side's words on this - the mixes are perfect for the music. Year of the Cat is one of my all time faves and I am saddened that we don't have the entire album in lossless surround, but what can you do?

I finally got a chance to listen to these today and I must say I'm quite blown away, particularly by Year of the Cat...stunning is all I can say!

Second that... Al has always been a favorite of mine, since the "Love Chronicles" days, but to hear "Cat" in surround literally moved me to tears. :worthy

Just as an aside, if you have access to HBO, there is a new series called "Hello Ladies" that has been running for a few weeks. It was created by and stars Stephen Merchant, who often works with Ricky Gervais ( they co-created the original UK version of the TV series The Office). He is very funny in his own right, and I find this series very funny.

If you check out the 4th episode, near the end, as Merchant has been shamed, he has to leave a swimming pool.. They start playing "Year of The Cat" in the background, and it does appear to be a subtle surround mix! I did have to edge up close to the surround speakers to be sure, but it was definitely a 5.1 mix.

Unfortunately the song was a bit butchered...:(

Thanks to another member I have now heard these tracks. As The Bright Side has commented - they are awesome! I have always loved Andrew Powell's orchestrations but they sound so much better in 5.1. Such a pity we can't have more.

Awww, man..
just *ahem*...stumbled today and was enjoying these two quad mixes and they really are classics!!!!

I'm guessing Alan Parsons had some points on this (being the high flying producer he is)...so ¡t'd be a bit complicated to get these released..

Anyway..Did Alan P mix JUST these two songs in Quad,
OR
did he mix BOTH albums...in Quad???

Awww, man..
just *ahem*...stumbled today and was enjoying these two quad mixes and they really are classics!!!!

I'm guessing Alan Parsons had some points on this (being the high flying producer he is)...so ¡t'd be a bit complicated to get these released..

Anyway..Did Alan P mix JUST these two songs in Quad,
OR
did he mix BOTH albums...in Quad???

First off, these are labeled as 5.1 mixes. (Yes, the center & LFE channels might be silent, but these mixes were created last decade, not during the 70s Quadraphonic era.)

AP went to Arista records last decade to try and get the clearance to not only mix these two Al Stewart albums in surround but also the Alan Parsons Project catalogue as well.
He mixed just these two songs as a demonstration, but he ultimately did not get clearance to move forward so this is all we have. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, these are labeled as 5.1 mixes. (Yes, the center & LFE channels might be silent, but these mixes were created last decade, not during the 70s Quadraphonic era.)

AP went to Arista records last decade to try and get the clearance to not only mix these two Al Stewart albums in surround but also the Alan Parsons Project catalogue as well.
He mixed just these two songs as a demonstration, but he ultimately did not get clearance to move forward so this is all we have. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much!

What a pity...the "usual" story....
a Genius producer goes to the suits and they are too busy doing coke and whiskey to even notice that , if they said YES, they could have EVEN MORE!!!!

(shaking my head)

I really don't remember where I got these from...and I shouldn't share any info on how/where to get them in an open forum or the mods will be upset (against the rules)...I just know (like it's mentioned above) that they were part of a Mercedes Benz Demo Disc...

Can anyone chime in (especially any mods)?

I just know (like it's mentioned above) that they were part of a Mercedes Benz Demo Disc...

Actually those tracks were not part of the Mercedes Benz Signature Sound DVD-V demo disc mixed at Skywalker Studios.
Here's the track lineup for that DVD:

Pop/rock compilation
01 Seal “Amazing” (Seal) (P) 2007 Warner Bros. Records Inc. 3:28

02 Foreigner “Cold As Ice” (Gramm-Jones) (P) 1977 Atlantic Recording Corp. 3:20

03 Lady Gaga “Poker Face” (Lady Gaga-One) (P) 2008 Interscope Records. 3:59 Courtesy of Streamline/Kon Live/Cherrytree/Interscope Records under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.

04 James Blunt “You’re Beautiful” (Ghost-Blunt-Skarbek) (P) 2004 Atlantic Recording Corp. 3:32

05 Jason Derulo “In My Head” (Rotem-Desrouleaux-Kelly) (P) 2009 Warner Bros. Records Inc.

06 Nikka Costa “Chase The Thrill” (Costa-Luttrell-Ciancia-Stanley-Bingham) 5:31 (P) 2012 gofunkyourself records under licence from gofunkyourself records.

07 Sting “Every Breath You Take” Featuring Branford Marsalis & The Royal Philharmonic Concert 6:01 Orchestra (Sting) (P) 2010 UMG Recordings Inc. Courtesy of UMG Recordings Inc. under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.

08 The Doobie Brothers “Long Train Runnin’” (Tom Johnston) (P) 1973 Warner Bros. Records Inc. 3:19

09 Creedence Clearwater Revival “Have You Ever Seen The Rain?” 2:41 (John Fogerty) from the album “Pendulum” (FCD-4517) Courtesy of Concord Music Group, Inc.

10 Sheryl Crow “Everyday Is A Winding Road” (Crow-Trott-Macleod) (P) 1986 A&M Records. 4:25 Courtesy of A&M Records under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.

11 Fine Young Cannibals “She Drives Me Crazy” (Steele-Gift) (P) 1989 FFRR Records Ltd. 3:26

12 Alanis Morissette “Ironic” (Ballard-Morissette) (P) 1995 Maverick Recording Company. 3:48

13 Alex Max Band “Tonight” (Single Mix) (Alex Max Band (BMI)/Scott Thomas, Universal Music Corp. 4:23 (ASCAP), Universal Music – Careers) (P) 2010. The copyright for this sound recording is owned by AMB Records under exclusive licence to Capitol Music, a division of EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG, LC 00542. By courtesy of EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co. KG.

14 Yes “Owner Of A Lonely Heart“ (Rabin-Anderson-Squire-Horn) (P) 1983 Atlantic Recording Corp. 4:26

15 Tears For Fears “Shout” (Orzabal-Stanley) (P) 1985 Mercury Records Limited. 6:36 Courtesy of Mercury Records Limited under licence from Universal Music Enterprises.

Classical compilation
16 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart “Violin Concerto K 218”, 1st movement 09:11
(Allegro) Marianne Thorsen (violin), TrondheimSolistene, Øyvind Gimse (conductor). From the album MOZART (2L-038-SACD). © 2006 2L (Lindberg Lyd AS). Balance engineer and recording producer: Morten Lindberg.

17 Ludwig van Beethoven “Symphony No. 5”, 1st movement 08:04
(Allegro con brio) San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas (conductor). Produced under licence from SFS Media.

18 Hector Berlioz “Symphonie Fantastique”, 2nd movement “Un bal” 06:43
San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas (conductor). Produced under licence from SFS Media.

19 Antonín Dvorák “Symphony No. 9” (From the New World), 4th movement 11:44
(Allegro con fuoco) Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, Yakov Kreizberg (conductor). © 2003 PentaTone Music B.V. www.pentatonemusic.com; catalogue number 5186 019.

20 Ludwig van Beethoven “Symphony No. 9”, Choral Finale 11:15 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Choir, Mariss Jansons (conductor), Krassimira Stoyanova (soprano), Marianne Cornetti (alto), Robert Dean Smith (tenor), Franz-Josef Selig (bass). Produced under licence from RCO.

21 Edvard Grieg “Peer Gynt Suite No. 1”, Morning Mood 04:14
Malmö Symphony Orchestra, Bjarte Engeset (conductor). Courtesy of Naxos of America, Inc. www.naxos.com

22 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky “Eugene Onegin”, Polonaise* 04:18

23 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky “Eugene Onegin”, Waltz* 03:36
* Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (BR Symphony Orchestra), Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks (BR Chorus), Mariss Jansons (conductor). Wilhelm Meister (producer), Ulrike Schwarz, (balance engineer). Produced under licence from BR Symphony Orchestra.

24 Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel “Pictures at an Exhibition”, Baba-Yaga 03:30
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Mariss Jansons (conductor). Produced under licence from RCO.

25 Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel “Pictures at an Exhibition”, Great Gate of Kiev 05:24
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Mariss Jansons (conductor). Produced under licence from RCO.

http://mediahyperium.com/news.php

Edit:

wrt bmoura's last post, they weren't included on the actual MB DVD, no.. but when the aforementioned Pop & Classical tracks were at one point disseminated some extras were tacked on afaik., from what was said online at the time.. I don't know personally as I went without bread and water for a week so I could buy a Mercedes car's log book etc with the DVD included which some SL owner put up on eBay.. :steering:

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
I would be interested in listening to this disc and am willing to pay for the disc and shipping. Thank you.

I would be interested in listening to this disc and am willing to pay for the disc and shipping. Thank you.

which disc?

the Mercedes disc (which bmoura gives the track listing of the 25 pop songs & classical passages contained on it, in his last post here) was only ever officially available when you bought a certain model of Mercedes sports car..and that official Mercedes disc doesn't have any Al Stewart tracks on it, sadly.

Gonna be hard to get a hold of. It was originally only available to people who bought a certain Mercedes car, cos it was a demo disc for the built-in surround system.

I got lucky today on eBay, after sporadically looking for it over the past 4 years. I recommend setting yourself a search alarm on eBay for "Mercedes Signature". The full name of the disc is "Mercedes Benz Signature Sound", and you can see what it looks like in this thread.

Regarding the rumor that the disc contains the Al Stewart mixes, here's how this came about: back when this disc was released, one of our members was able to get a copy of it without actually buying a Mercedes car: the member had an inside connection to somebody behind the scenes at Mercedes, or the studio. That connection gave our member a copy, and as a bonus gift, tacked on the Al Stewart tracks, to which they also happened to have access.

You can read the thread I linked earlier for all details :)

The officially available version of this disc never contained the Al Stewart tracks though.

Back