Al Stewart - Year of the Cat and Time Passages???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while repetition of facts is never a bad thing, do sometimes wonder if I'm posting in a vacuum.. :D

ps. glad you found the disc, Matt :upthumb

a few more surround discs like that Mercedes one, with "top 40" type acts.. and on general release rather than as part of buying a car for tens of thousands of dollars, would be really great.

Arent some of the tracks on that Mercedes disk not available anywhere else? I have never heard the Crow, Morissette, or Yes tracks anywhere before. Maybe even a few more. And a version of Shout long before Steven Wilson completed his remix ...yes?

Arent some of the tracks on that Mercedes disk not available anywhere else? I have never heard the Crow, Morissette, or Yes tracks anywhere before. Maybe even a few more. And a version of Shout long before Steven Wilson completed his remix ...yes?

They're all fresh surround mixes unique to the disc, afaik, even those that already had 5.1 mixes (such as Foreigner & Doobie Brothers)
..personally prefer the old mixes for those two tracks (Cold As Ice & Long Train Runnin') on the original Warner DVD-Audio releases, fwiw..

Ps. Check out Elliot Scheiner's fabulous 5.1 of Long Train Runnin' on the old Warner DVD-A and then compare it to the effort on this Mercedes disc.
I knew they were different and that I preferred Scheiner's surround mix.. but I'd never actually run the two side by side, or rather one after the other before.. wow..

So I got a chance to listen to these. They are interesting. What I came away with after the first few listens suggests a pretty basic mix. In the case of YOTC, the only thing that is truly isolated in the rears is piano. Everything else seems to be additional spread from what is included in the fronts along with some ambiance. With TP the rears contain only the orchestration and some ambiance. And while it may not be the most aggressive mix, it is more effective than you might be led to believe based on the description I wrote.

Since Audacity is my new toy lately for exploring this stuff I loaded them in to have a look at and listen to individual channels. To my surprise there actually is a CC. Its way, way low in level compared to everything else, but its there. Not that you would know it just from a listening session.

The version I have is sampled at 44.1kHz. Be that as it may, it certainly sounds quite good, but then again, the overall fidelity of the tracks was always top shelf. I guess its another case of the mix fidelity outshining the format.

It certainly provides enough of a taste to make one long for both of these iconic albums complete in Hi Res MC for sure.

....The version I have is sampled at 44.1kHz. ....

The original disc created by Alan Parsons was a DTS-CD, so the source files are in fact 16/44.1kHz. If you "find" these in 24/96, they have been up sampled.

Count me in also, if possible. YOTC was high in the rotation back in the day, so it would be very interesting to hear this version, judging by what people are saying in this thread.

Well, if it makes you feel any better , the only elements in the rears are the piano and the strings .....interesting that there's NO REVERB from the fronts at all!!

You can argue that only 2 elements do not a surround mix make...but also the contrary!!!

Well, if it makes you feel any better , the only elements in the rears are the piano and the strings .....interesting that there's NO REVERB from the fronts at all!!

You can argue that only 2 elements do not a surround mix make...but also the contrary!!!

Some of my favourite Quad mixes only have 3 elements..

Allow me to introduce you to..

EARTH.. 🌎

WIND.. 🌬

and

FIRE..!! 🔥

:smokin

Last edited:
Some of my favourite Quad mixes only have 3 elements..

Allow me to introduce you to..

EARTH.. :worthy

WIND.. :banana:

and

FIRE..!! :yikes

:smokin

annnd... water!

there are four elements, but also there's a FIFTH element....(shameless plug on my all time favorite movie...)

"yeahh, I got allll of your snakes..."

"Are you...German?"

endlessly quotable...

I am so late to this party! Can any one help me with these 2 Al Stewart tracks mixed by Alan Parsons? (7th me on the request)!

I haven't had my Surround rig since December nor my LPs, and I think I burned a disc with those two songs and put it in my Time Passages MFSL LP jacket...so I really can't help you there...sorry!

The record industry has always been built on screwing the artist and the consumer. In recent years, with file sharing and CD burning, the consumer has had a chance to screw the record companies. Sadly, the artist gets screwed in that equation, too. For the sake of the artists and to have the "real" product, I've still bought the official releases.

As to Rhino, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for them and the Grateful Dead. A few years ago, I placed an order with Rhino's Grateful Dead on line for some Dave's Picks on the last day of a promotion which included bonus discs. The order went into hyperspace. I called before the day was over. When I finally spoke with the guy in customer service who claimed he was Lord God and the only person who handled the Grateful Dead, I got no satisfaction and no bonus discs. My order was over $300. He was massively arrogant. This was before WEA's great purge at Rhino. Quadio is the only Rhino product I've bought since. So much for the hippie "Good Old Grateul Dead." BTW: I've spent thousands on Grateful Dead software over the years. The estate trial of Jerry Garcia and how Carolyn "Mountain Girl" got screwed is another example of this equitable hippie Grateful Dead mentality.

I was sales manager in the '80's for a company which was acquired by our biggest competiitor. The President of the firm that acquired us was the former President of a large record label. I tried to hire a man I formerly worked with, only to be told that it was against company policy, since his wife worked for another division. The President's wife was his secretary, however. After i left, I was told they were both fired by their parent company for misappropriation of funds.

The record labels have always been ruthless assholes and probably always will be. And, yes, I'm jaded. Thieves one and all.
Just found this hella rant, yup It’s all a steaming pile o’ stinkin’ composting crap, when the rubber hits the road, “Money talks and bull shit walks”. On a daily basis there’s too many people with their hands so far up our financial personals we’d rather not think about it! But it’s ever present everywhere😁
Damn, I woke up surly😳

Please abide by the forum rules. Any posts asking for files will be deleted. What you do in your PM's is your own business, in the open forum, we do not solicit or offer files to or from others. Sorry to be an ass, but them's the rules.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be.

Please abide by the forum rules. Any posts asking for files will be deleted. What you do in your PM's is your own business, in the open forum, we do not solicit or offer files to or from others. Sorry to be an ass, but them's the rules.
My Apologies Jon...momentary lapse of reason.

Back