"The Uptown Swing Gang on the Ritz" is the next DVD-A release from QuadroSurround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
QQ Member Dietrich Rasch has announced the next release on the QuadroSurround label from Germany. The disc is shown below, and like the earlier releases from QuadroSurround, is a 4 channel Quadraphonic DVD-Audio disc, housed in a CD sized jewel box.

I'll post back here later this weekend when I give it a listen, but as always, anyone interested in ordering this or any of the other releases from QuadroSurround can get all the info from their web page.

http://www.quadro-surround.de/english/avaiable_productions.html

These guys are doing a great job on their own, fighting the surround music battle, and it would be a very nice thing if QQ members would check these discs out if they're interested to help QuadroSurround continue their venture.

Uptown Swing Club Front.jpg
Uptown Swing Club Back.jpg

For this 5th quadraphonic production we have taken music in a swinging gypsy style like the wellknown Django Reinhard. You can listen titles like Puttin' On the Ritz or Nature Boy and Body and Soul. The female Snger has a remarkable voice. On the picture are seen only 3 guitar player, but we have finally 5 players. Another music style by the many possibilities and I think very well for swinging listening. And now we have tension for the coming comment from Jon Urban. Till now we have had some well judgements about our newest production. The 6th and seventh quadraphonic production are already in working.

Dietrich

Well, I have to admit that I'm always a bit worried when listening to one of these QuadroSurround discs, because I respect Dietrich and his efforts so much, and understand what he's going through to get this done. Not all of his releases so far have been titles that really interested me, and I want to give the membership a true review every time, so it's a fine line to balance.

When I popped this disc in, not knowing what to expect, I wasn't to enthusiastic. It sounded nice and tight, but it really didn't grab me. However, that changed, and I'm not sure why. The third track, "Swing 98", is an instrumental, and it's terrific! I liked it so much I played it a second time right away to be sure. Then I started to listen to the whole thing closer, and this is a very tight and well performed disc. The band is great, and the singing, (and normally I don't like to hear vocals from people I don't know), is actually really good. In fact, one of the great tunes on this disc is "Puttin' on the Ritz", which has a great vocal. The vocals are in English and are quite professional.

I would say that this disc could sit along with many of the Project 3 Enoch Light Quadraphonic LPs, as the seperation is very discrete, and the performance is splendid. Think of a pub band, or club band, and that's what you have here, in glorious 4 channel sound. Vocals in the front, instruments all around.

I would suggest listening to the samples on the QuadroSurround site, and if you like the music, you will love the surround on this DVD-A.

So far, their classical disc is my favorite of the catalog, but this disc ranks right up there, maybe even #2.

Check it out

Back