HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - TUTU [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Miles Davis - TUTU

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Warner Brothers DVD-Audio release from 2002 by Miles Davis.

(n):phones(y)

Miles Davis Tutu 400.jpg

10. IMHO, one of his very best. Nice surround effect, good fidelity and excellent performance. True, his late period stuff is not as adventurous as most of what came before it. With a Miles collection that numbers over 500 discs and 20 box sets, I've heard them all numerous times. I also saw Miles several times live. For me, this is his best surround album, although most folks would likely pick Bitches Brew. Kind of Blue is a better album musically, and the all-time best selling jazz album, though it really isn't a surround mix, it's simply echo. As in many other instances, Miles amassed a great group of players and can speak volumes with a single, well-placed note. I own the DVD-A, 2 disc UK expanded CD, French Warner Years 5 CD box, CD and LP of this. The DVD-A is, of course, the one to own. If you're a completist, be sure to pick up the 2 dic UK expanded version, too.

superb album, despite the now somewhat dated production/feel/sound (some of the synths/pads are, for me, a little bit too 80's even for the 80's!) but it still doesn't detract from the music and MD's playing is impeccable.. sound quality's great and the surround mix (which really shows off his artistry) is fantastic!

my favourite Miles in surround is the In A Silent Way SACD (which is just gorgeous) but this comes a close 2nd.

a "9".

dated synths definitly, but at least a musician who was prepared to try something new.
pretty good surround mix over all though an 8 theer are many more better mixes around.

I love this record. Absolutely adore it, and it gets a regular outing here.
Right from the opening stabs on the title track it grabs you by the ears & does not let go until, well, you stop it playing really as perhaps it's one fault (and that depends on how you look at it) is that once it ends it cycles round & starts over again from the beginning.
Sonically I cannot fault it - on my Adam A7 system it sounds as if the man himself is back again & playing for me - just me.
This is also one of the few titles that does not require you to be in any form of "sweet spot".......if you are in the spot, you get a real treat as it feels as if you are sat there whilst the band are playing around you but if you are even outside the room it works so well in acoustic mono (and bear with me here) that I get the feeling Miles is in the other room, playing in person. This gives me 2 ways to enjoy the record - either completely immersed in the mix, or off to one side whilst I have one of the true legends of our time playing a private gig just for me.

Highly recommended.

I must confess to have been rather dismissive of this album when it first came out in the 80's but was curious to check out the DVD-A after reading some positive comments here. And after several spins I've become a fan. I doubt I'll ever consider it among his best works but you've got to hand it to Miles, ever the artist, exploring (and sometimes inventing) new genres. Fun, active mix with some very tasty grooves courtesy of the great Marcus Miller. 8+

The bassist Marcus Miller is a major contributor to this fine soul-funk recording, which is replete with synthesizers, drum machines, and sequencers. Arguments about the album being dated don't impress me. All music is dated after a few decades (as are people, as I can attest from personal experience).

The audio is crisp and clear, and the surround mix creates a sound-field that is both discrete and enveloping. I think 8.5 rounded up to 9 is about right.

The bassist Marcus Miller is a major contributor to this fine soul-funk recording, which is replete with synthesizers, drum machines, and sequencers. Arguments about the album being dated don't impress me. All music is dated after a few decades (as are people, as I can attest from personal experience).

The audio is crisp and clear, and the surround mix creates a sound-field that is both discrete and enveloping. I think 8.5 rounded up to 9 is about right.

Thanks for revitalizing this thread. Just voted a nine, as well. Only wish more Jazz albums which are normally spectacularly recorded would receive the 5.1 remix treatment [especially some of those Pat Metheny ECM titles].

As far as people being dated..........the only way to stay fresh and relevant is to constantly 'reinvent' oneself!

I've never heard this one....sounds like something I'd like to own.

I have it and like it. It's cool in it's own right. It just isn't what you think when you think of a Miles Davis album (Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Sketches, etc.). It's more contemporary and electronic.

Last edited:
I've never heard this one....sounds like something I'd like to own.

i remember it as a very good surround disc with a "sound" 'of its time', i'll give it another play its been too long! its great when a QQ thread brings renewed interest in an OOP surround title, both for those members who haven't heard it yet and those who need a memory jolt! :eek:

i remember it as a very good surround disc with a "sound" 'of its time', i'll give it another play its been too long! its great when a QQ thread brings renewed interest in an OOP surround title, both for those members who haven't heard it yet and those who need a memory jolt! :eek:

I agree. My memory on this one isn't great. Must give this a listen tonight.

Not a great album, though the mix is good. But then you have to remember all the remarkable music Miles made in a long career, so in context, fans don't consider this near his best work, but I'm glad to have it.

ED :)

Not a great album, though the mix is good. But then you have to remember all the remarkable music Miles made in a long career, so in context, fans don't consider this near his best work, but I'm glad to have it.

ED :)

One hundred percent agree. Not great in comparison to his amazing catalog but still a good album and mix. Track six is too eighties but the other tracks balance that one out. Glad I revisited this one. Because of the type of case, it sits next to many of the crappy Silverline discs I have and this one is so much better than them.

It's been a while since I listened to this but as I sit enjoying the Bruford albums much more than ii wa expecting given the reviews on here this album may have to come out again.

I appear to have given this album an 8 back in the day so not all bad and possibly tainted buy the 80s production

A pretty easy “10”

Fans have always been split on the music with this one, but I’ve always thought it one of his best. Certainly of his last decade.

Yes, it’s Miles playing on a Marcus Miller album, but many of Miles’ great albums were constructed that way. An 80’s “Sketches of Spain” in that regard.

And sound quality wise and surround mix wise? It’s nearly perfect.

Great disc.

This is a cool album and worthy of a spin, now and then.

My most current listen re-enforces for me, however, that this isn't necessarily my cup o' tea.

Fidelity is great. Mix is top notch. Music is interesting.

However, I find myself wishing I could hear MD's trumpet dropped in over different backing tracks!

"Dated" is when selected sounds don't work out well a few years later. Juxtaposed, there is music that many people consider "timeless."
This is more on the dated side. Still cool. Very cool.

I can understand why this album is settling in right around "8" in the poll. That's what I'll go with.

Just received this to complete my Miles Quad-fecta. New, sealed.

Taiwan seller on the bay, $3 economy ship took 30 days, but tracked sufficiently to generate a delivery confirmation email when it reached my mailbox.

This is a cool album and worthy of a spin, now and then.

My most current listen re-enforces for me, however, that this isn't necessarily my cup o' tea...

..."Dated" is when selected sounds don't work out well a few years later. Juxtaposed, there is music that many people consider "timeless."
This is more on the dated side. Still cool. Very cool.

Agreed that this is the least essential, but my first few listens have been delightfully revealing in 5.1 MLP.
I bought this on release in '86 and was thoroughly immersed in it, although mostly while driving in a noisy work mini-van.

I'd recently seen a history of the album, and how a young sh*t-hot Marcus Miller produced it.
Noticed a bass clarinet grooving hard like the old B*Brew sessions, credited to Miller.
Love that George Duke is on it, his composition is a new favorite.

It does sound "dated" with the drum machines.
But in those years, bass-player driven sessions from the likes of Miller and Bill Laswell produced some groove-based music I still enjoy.
:rocks

I'd recently seen a history of the album, and how a young sh*t-hot Marcus Miller produced it.
Noticed a bass clarinet grooving hard like the old B*Brew sessions, credited to Miller.

Yep I was working at the studio where they did some of the sessions and was astonished to see Marcus riffing with Miles on all kinds windblown instruments. I had thought he was just a killer bass player.

I was also really surprised to see that Miles was totally cool with Tommy LiPuma sampling his playing and lay phrases in throughout the track. I thought maybe Miles might be a purist about what he played and not touching it, but not at all. Figures really because he was always interested in new approaches like running his trumpet through effects boxes in the 70s etc.

It does sound "dated" with the drum machines.
But in those years, bass-player driven sessions from the likes of Miller and Bill Laswell produced some groove-based music I still enjoy.
:rocks

Marcus setup a snare drum and a couple of cymbals and overdubbed really nice feel fills on top of the machine tracks which I thought was genius.

Last edited:
Back