Q8 AUTO: Craig / Pioneer 3129

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medkill

currently unsure of original price.

Availability: Common. At least they do show up periodically on eBay.

Description: This unit is mechanically built pretty much as the other Craig / Pioneer 3nnn series tape players of their day. In other words, it's a beast. It is an underdash-mounted 2 and 4 channel 8-track cartridge player. I can't currently give any technical specs, as I don't have any literature on this model.

4-Channel indication: When playing a 4-channel tape, 1 & 3 lights are lit for program 1 and 2 & 4 lights are lit for program 2.

This tape player has a unique head position ramp feature that only has 2 ramp positions instead of the traditional 4 position head position ramp. The toothed ratchet wheel on top is the standard 8-point type. This gives it a smoother and quicker change from program 2 to program 1 since it doesn't have to rapid-cycle through the 3 and 4 position. For 2-channel tapes, program 1 would be: Head in upper position, 'odd' head pickups used. Program 2 would be: Head in lower position, odd head pickups used. Program 3 returns the head to up position, then selects the 'even' head pickups. Program 4 uses lower head position, even pickups. This type mechanism was also used in the later Pioneer QP-400/424/444 series car players.
In 2-channel mode, the player does use the back as well as the front speakers. The only 'frill' feature is an eject button.

Aftermarket value, from what I've seen, averages around $100. I got mine for $40 because the eBay seller was unaware of what 4-channel or quadraphonic were, and didn't put that in the listing title. I lucked out and not only got a low price, but one that is very clean. Only mechanical issue was replacing the belt and cleaning the 2/4 channel sense switch.

Attachments

• Pioneer3129.jpg
    Pioneer3129.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 165
That is nice design. Clear, simple layout of the front panel, good simplification of the track switching.

Every Pioneer deck I've had for a car winds up having some kind of motor issue. My QP-444 started playing WAY too fast and my old Supertuner that was in my Gremlin suffered the same problem. Really not sure what on earth would cause it.

Back