Remembering Lafayette Radio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC03952cccrop.jpg
My first Lafayette a very nice condition and working LA-74. It came with Owners Manual.

It doesn't say there is film in the canister, but I would guess that at one time it contained a training film for sales associates. Many companies produced such training materials: some were just film strips that you would advance at the sound of a tone on an accompanying audio tape, others were quite advanced. Being that this one held a 5" reel, I can't imagine that an empty canister would be worth the selling price, but you never know...

My systems are schizo. They're half vintage '70's and half modern stuff. The old stuff looks the sexiest. My B&K, Denon, Mission. Ortofon and Onkyo gear performs far better than nearly all of the vintage gear. Modern gear with vintage decoders, tape decks and demodulators are the hot ticket.

I realize that I'm replying to an ancient post.(Nice to meet you, btw...) But that's exactly what's evolved in my own system at home. 'Modern' gear (Yamaha RX-V1 Receiver, Infinity Overture 3 mains, Music Hall TT) but vintage SQ decoders, tape equip, etc. Plus SACD-DVD Audio as well. It gets absolutely the most fidelity out of these formats. -Sam

Speaking of Quad Linda...Where is she?

Things have been a bit sleepy around here the past few weeks. Not much happening. There are many things that keep people away from the internet spots from time to time - like LIFE!!, heck, I don't post much very more these days, doesn't mean I don't peek in from time to time, and of course keep the place running.

It's just a lull in the surround scene. When something happens, many folks will be back posting. No worries, I'm sure!

Did Lafayette ever make a four channel integrated amp with the small form factor of an LA-25 or LA-324?

My first reel-to-reel was a Lafayette 2 track. I had been salivating all through high school about having one, and when I graduated in 1970, I took my graduation money and ran to the Lafayette store in Plainfield NJ. Loved that machine. Unfortunately, there was a small bolt like thing attached to the operation mechanism which ended up braking off. In order to operate it, I had to leave the front cover off and use a nail as I turned the operation knob to get it to play or record. Ah, the good old days. :D

I know I haven't been around much but I still absolutely love quadraphonics. Family matters have altered my normal lifestyle.

Doug

Back