Listening to Now in MONO. Blasphemy!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An audiobook!! Ernest Cline- "Ready Player One"... for anyone who was a teenager in the eighties and likes sci-fi, this is fantastic! (Rush (the band) plays an integral part). Soon to be a "major motion picture event" directed by Steven Spielberg. I've read the book before, but hearing it read by Wil Wheaton is cool:smokin

An audiobook!! Ernest Cline- "Ready Player One"... for anyone who was a teenager in the eighties and likes sci-fi, this is fantastic! (Rush (the band) plays an integral part). Soon to be a "major motion picture event" directed by Steven Spielberg. I've read the book before, but hearing it read by Wil Wheaton is cool:smokin

Plucky teenagers facing adversity in a dystopian future - now there's a genre that really has been explored enough recently.

(I kid - it's a running joke in our house. No doubt my 15 yo will want to see it, although she'll 16 by the time it's released here. It's not Star Wars so I'll be taking her rather than my wife.)

John Coltrane ~ Both Directions At Once ~ The Lost Album

Recovered from mono R to R work tape sent home with Coltrane
Preserved by his family

Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
The Classic Quartet: Coltrane, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison, McCoy Tyner

Recorded March 6, 1963, one day before John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

page061.jpg

page068.jpg

page063.jpg

page066.jpg

page062.jpg

page067.jpg

page064.jpg

R-857442-1488759142-3534.jpeg.jpg

Morning Will Come - Spirit (unreleased mono mix from It Shall Be 5 CD box) I believe this is the same take as the album, but a radically different mix.

Spirit (1st album) mono also in It Shall Be Box

Axis: Bold as Love - Hendrix SACD mono

The Beatles (White) CD from White 50th box. Although I haven't a/b'ed them, I believe that both the CD from the Japan mono box and LP from the UK (red) mono box sounded better.

This Was (50th SW box) original '68 mono mix & mono associated singles

Surrealistic Pillow (RCA GOLD CD) mono & 2ch

Milestones - Miles Davis mono SACD

Miles Ahead (original mono mix) Japan SACD

Complete Columbia Singles - Blood, Sweat & Tears 2 CD mono & 2ch

Last edited:
In re-reading this thread, a few things caught my eye:

IMHO, Realization is Johnny Rivers' best album. Summer Rain & Hal Blaine!

I believe the Beatles mono only CD box was only made in Japan, no matter what country you bought it in. I got one from Music Direct and another from Borders. Although they were US distributed, they were both made in Japan.

Ambassador Satch is a great album. I've got it in a SACD.

That Massey Hall album is a jazz essential. I had an LP w/narration. Mercifully, the SACD is without narration. Bird, Diz, Mingus, Max Roach and Bud Powell. What it lacks in fidelity, it more than makes up for in performance.

I do enjoy listening to very early Elvis in mono. In fact, I probably side with the people who still prefer the mono versions even of albums from the late 1960s.

Back