HiRez Poll Rush - 2112 (Five Point One) [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Rush - 2112 (Five Point One)

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray release from UMG and Rush.

(n):phones(y)

Rush 2112 F 600.jpg
Rush 2112 B 600.jpg

Rush 2112 DVDA Blurb.jpg

Rush 2112 DVDA Sticker.jpg

The more I am listening to this the more I like it. Mix could have been a little better, on that alone I would have given it an 8. But the presentation of the Deluxe set and the offering of the different packages and formats are a 10. Average of the two, it gets a 9.

I think the mix overall is very good. The early parts of 2112 along with the Twilight Zone IMO could be more discrete in the rear speakers, but the rest of the album, particularly "A Passage to Bangkok" and "Something for Nothing" sound fantastic, and the digital comic book synced in time with the music is great as well.
Here's how I rank the RUSH 5.1 mixes (so far):

1) 2112
2) Moving Pictures
3) A Farewell to Kings
4) Fly by Night
5) Signals

I hope 2112 sells well enough to convince RUSH and Universal to do a few more, especially "Hemispheres" :)

Picked this up today gave it a run through tonight at a medium volume here are my thoughts !
Ive listened to this album hundreds of times in the past and has always been one of my favs.
First off its very clean sounding and has that Aqualung low end to it! (blu ray) which gives the bass drum a nice kick!
The Vocals are very up front and there is a noticeable added reverb to it .
besides the slight difference in the mix from the original i only have one negative . At the end of Overture Alex's lead is almost not there. I think the leads could have been cranked a bit . This is a real treat to have in 5.1 and i cant wait to give it a spin at full volume!

It could have been a tad more agressive surroundwise, but it is a wonderful release.

After several listens, I am very happy with it. I've only played the 5.1 PCM track for now. I've heard elements I never did before on the LP or CD.

A lot of thought and work went into the comicstrip which is just a bonus (even though I will not have my display on next time).

Well done everyone !

9 from me.

Could someone please say a bit more as to how the vocal is mixed here and in comparison to the previous releases? How centered is it? How much in the rears? This was such an issue with all the previous mixes.

ALMOST bought this while Christmas shopping for others, but decided it'd be pretty smart to wait for some detailed reports.

pretty good but man now days if without the deluxe marbles, man it just ain't the same. The bar has been raised RUSH missed the boat

At the risk of raising the ire of the more devoted Rush fans on this site; I can say that this mix exceeded my expectations (based on the previous Rush 5.1 mixes) but still falls short IMO. Packaging, extras, the comic strip exposition with synced lyrics - all well done. I expect a bit of a load delay for BD but the the various logos/UME/FBI warnings are a bit excessive. I should confess that I am not a Rush fanatic - I do however, recognize their musical prowess and have casually enjoyed their music over the years - I cannot tell you how this version compares to all the previous configurations of 2112, but I think it is safe to say that this probably is the best it ever sounded - which is why I am mildly disappointed. It's not so much the mix - it's close but no cigar. It's just that when the band is in full on rocking mode, the extra dimensional space that a decent 5.1 mix would lend to music of this nature is missing. The drums of one of the finest rock drummers ever, simply have no power. The separation of instruments during the most ferocious of passages lacks air (for lack of a better description). This mix performs much better during the quiet passages - so it's a mixed bag - not terrible, not great - as some of my friends on the lower East Side would say, "Meh" - a 7.

This is a solid surround mix. Nothing too adventurous. It is about par for the 5.1 mixes. None of them have really 'blown my socks off,' but they are (in the main) very well done. They have also become my 'go-to' versions when pulling RUSH albums for listening at home - except the surround disaster Signals, of course.

The one thing to note with the BDA is that the sound quality is astounding. I really have to give Richard Chycki (Jeff Fura and Andy Curran) a 'thumbs up' with the remastering process. The original tapes have overcome almost all of their original hiss and sound like they were recorded yesterday. Bravo!!!

I really hope that they speed up these surround releases in the future. Good quality versions of Hemispheres and Permanent Waves on Blu-Ray would be welcome next summer, with Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows next Christmas would be ideal. Heck, put 'em all in a box on DVD-Audio and I'll be very happy.

I do have a complaint with the packaging for the 2 disc version, which also carries over to the Moving Pictures set: The spindles are too tight and one is in danger of snapping the BD/CD in half trying to get it free, best to find another case for storage if you intend on using this disc frequently (as I do). The liner notes in the centre pocket are also a pain, as getting them out requires bending the paper folder almost until it rips.

I'd also like to add a congratulations to 'the boys' for getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on their first nomination. It was about time...

I just got this from amazon uk and was able to listen to 2112 on 2112 so that was fun to do. I listened twice that day and gave it another listen today(saturday)
Many more reviews of this on the blu ray and I would have to agree with what some others have said over there.
I have always liked Rush so to be able to here this title 35 years later in a lossless format, just awesome.
Now I wish I could give this a 10 but have to deduct a couple of points as its not quite there so will rate this one a 8.
Rick C. is correct in that it does have a 3d type affect for sound but it could be so much more. I think if Steve Wilson would have done this it would have been a 10 out of 10.
I really like flat recordings, don't futz with what's on the masters but not sure if there was noise reduction done on this as you don't hear no tape hiss, very clean but so clean that there is no extra punch to the guitar and drums and bass.
During 2112's epic song when you hear the running water for the waterfall and acoustic guitar comes in, it's really beautiful and you can just drift away during stuff like that, so that's good.
Then when things get more rocking etc with extra guitar soloing by Alex and Neil does some of his amazing drum parts its all to quiet and lacks punch.
When there are multiple guitar parts you do get some of the extra guitar parts in rears but for whatever reason almost all the Rush 5.1's do not use the rear speaker's in a big way, not sure why.I
I hate to make the SW comparison again but on SW's surround releases the rear speaker's play as prominent a role as the fronts. One thing that has been fun for me personally is that when I got 2112 35 years ago I so loved side a(the epic) that I think I played it the majority of the time so now listening to the whole album the past 2 days it was also very fun to hear the shorter songs which would have been on side 2 which most of them are also very good.

In summary this is a amazing album in my books and it should have been given the most amazing surround treatment and it did not. having said that this is better than average(being lossless) and I am glad to have this as it is and will give it many more listen's.

There is still one more part of the trilogy(Hemispheres) left to be done, I'm still hoping that SW gets a shot at doing that one.

I do have a complaint with the packaging for the 2 disc version, which also carries over to the Moving Pictures set: The spindles are too tight and one is in danger of snapping the BD/CD in half trying to get it free,
I had that fear too when I removed the BD for the first time. I think it is okay now that I've removed it a couple of times. But yeah! what the heck?!

I just got this from amazon uk and was able to listen to 2112 on 2112 so that was fun to do. I listened twice that day and gave it another listen today(saturday)
Many more reviews of this on the blu ray and I would have to agree with what some others have said over there.
I have always liked Rush so to be able to here this title 35 years later in a lossless format, just awesome.
Now I wish I could give this a 10 but have to deduct a couple of points as its not quite there so will rate this one a 8.
Rick C. is correct in that it does have a 3d type affect for sound but it could be so much more. I think if Steve Wilson would have done this it would have been a 10 out of 10.
I really like flat recordings, don't futz with what's on the masters but not sure if there was noise reduction done on this as you don't hear no tape hiss, very clean but so clean that there is no extra punch to the guitar and drums and bass.
During 2112's epic song when you hear the running water for the waterfall and acoustic guitar comes in, it's really beautiful and you can just drift away during stuff like that, so that's good.
Then when things get more rocking etc with extra guitar soloing by Alex and Neil does some of his amazing drum parts its all to quiet and lacks punch.
When there are multiple guitar parts you do get some of the extra guitar parts in rears but for whatever reason almost all the Rush 5.1's do not use the rear speaker's in a big way, not sure why.I
I hate to make the SW comparison again but on SW's surround releases the rear speaker's play as prominent a role as the fronts. One thing that has been fun for me personally is that when I got 2112 35 years ago I so loved side a(the epic) that I think I played it the majority of the time so now listening to the whole album the past 2 days it was also very fun to hear the shorter songs which would have been on side 2 which most of them are also very good.

In summary this is a amazing album in my books and it should have been given the most amazing surround treatment and it did not. having said that this is better than average(being lossless) and I am glad to have this as it is and will give it many more listen's.

There is still one more part of the trilogy(Hemispheres) left to be done, I'm still hoping that SW gets a shot at doing that one.

What he said!!!
A bit tired of them not using the rears as it should be , except for the occasional FX -the synth in the beginning, the water effect etc, but TOTALLY missing the boat on it when it is REALLY needed (the gtr delays in the intro , etc.)

Like the graphic novel approach and the crystal clear sound.

Don't understand why the ORIGINAL cover art is nowhere to be found (ashamed of the kimonos?) since it's so ICONIC, especially the front cover...neither are the photos from the gatefold present anywhere...
and yes, let's hope SW does "Hemispheres" (although I highly doubt it!)

an 8 from me- (which is very low for me...)

I found that it made removing the disc easier if I took an old CDR and 'broke in' the tabs by clicking it in place and removing it about 20 times.

My wife refused to put this under the tree for me, so I got to open it early! I think it is the best so far, but concur that the drums as usual lack some of the presence I would hope to get from Neil. So, it got an 8. I have the DVD-A, but imagine it sounds identical.

A couple of points before I chime in. 1; I have the dvd-a, not the Blu-ray but can't imagine there's any difference. And 2; as hard as I've tried, I have to admit that I've never been able to appreciate this album like many others. I consider it an ok album but not a great one. I used to own a cassette of it way back when and had never repurchased it until the Sector 1 set. And further, I have to admit to not being a big Rush fan even though now I have more of their music than just about anybody's after buying the Sector box sets and all the surround discs they've released. I figure my musical tastes are probably pretty close to most Rush fan's and do like them in small doses, but I think that it's just Geddy's vocals that get to me. I'm a bigger fan of their early releases than later one's and enjoyed Fly By Night in surround more than the other's. So take my opinion with that in mind and big fans may feel very different about this release.

With that being said, I consider this another missed opportunity. The surround mix just doesn't do much for me and doesn't do anything to help me appreciate the album any further. I always thought the opening of the album was prime for a great surround mix, and all I hear is the stereo with echo in the rear to simulate that I'm in a bigger room, but that area back there isn't filled with sound. As the album progresses some of it sounds a little better and now and again there's moments that sound pretty good. But all in all, it's just another disappointing surround mix and I sure wish they had found someone else to do it. Someone who knows what surround is capable of. The fidelity is good, it just doesn't use the rear speakers well enough to spread out the instruments to create a full room of sound.

K

I'm going to have to echo some of the points made by kvsawilson.

I'm not a Rush fanatic and this is perhaps only the third or fourth time I've ever heard this album and really, it doesn't do much for me. I felt that the vocals on this surround mix were a bit too present (they sometimes felt quite harsh/bright) and the music often felt like it was a bit too much in the background...let's not even get into the whole drums thing. I do think the fidelity is good, but overall the surround mix could have been done better and with more consistency. I don't understand how/why some of the tracks are mixed quite well while others sound quite boring (as far as the surround mix goes).

As for the packaging, I thought it was pretty good although the discs are hard to remove at first and the booklet is darn near impossible to remove without damaging the case and/or the booklet. I also enjoyed the video accompaniment to the music.

Overall, I'd give this an 8. I bought this album because I like to support any/all surround releases, but I think I am going to have to stop buying releases until I make sure that I'll actually enjoy the music and that the mix was well done...I really wish somebody would release some surround mixes of Radiohead.

Back