Using the Stereo Image to get 5.1 with Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathbed

This first part is not a question and tonight I've come across something amazing and beautiful- Electric Ladyland was pinched from quad in to stereo by reducing the stereo of image of the front to 50 to -50 and the rear 50/-50 to 180/-180. I'm an actual "self taught" Mastering Engineer..lol...well I've been working on recording since the 486 PC back in the day and I've been tinkering with a program called Lasso to up my priority on Adobe Audition 3 and things are jumping quickly.

My question is: I want people to hear the dts's that I'm working hard on with Electric Ladyland, I ripped from a purchased CD, but does it do justice to the quad market? Is it legal or justified to release privately made material that sounds better than what the "Recording Company" can provide? I'm just wondering how many people who have bought an album or print don't have the right to soup it up and get stuck in that "No one is making money" legality when an alteration or copy is made that is for a hobbyist? This is a hobby right? Can we legally alter our collection of audio and release it privately?

Just wondering thank you.

Well Electric Ladyland SEEMS TO BE Super Stereo with Quadrophonic Surround layered in to the super stereo. When the super stereo is pulled in to surround at the pan split of 50/-50 certain quadrophonic effects come out, almost like it's a 2d movie with 3d effects in the cgi like for example Tron:Legacy.. I believe the mixing board at Electric Lady was a super stereo/quad board?

Electric Ladyland is a stereo recording that sounds good in surround.
it was never a quad recording
there are threads in this forum devoted to it...found somewhere in the search engine

And there was the time that we had a sony matrix surround avr years ago, with EL and it was something else! We were convinced it was done that way. The seperation between channels was distinct and clear.

It should be pretty well known here by now that running EL through Pro Logic II or quad decoders yields impressive 'surround' results. I doubt this is because it was recorded in 'quad', more likely because it uses lots and lots of phasey effects. See the 'stereo records that sound good in quad' subforum. (Btw, why is this in the 'Ask Steve Wilson' subforum???)

"I'm just wondering how many people who have bought an album or print don't have the right to soup it up and get stuck in that "No one is making money" legality when an alteration or copy is made that is for a hobbyist? This is a hobby right? Can we legally alter our collection of audio and release it privately?"

This is a huge hobby for a lot of folks here. I'm surprised you haven't come across it yet.

It's not legal. You're not going to have the reach as say, the person putting stereo mp3s out there on the internet, but it's still a pretty clear violation of copyright and I can tell you upmixes and quad transfers have been taken down by torrent sites over the years.

As for the Hendrix mixes, all this DPLII stuff aside, which I don't deal with and never will, the challenge with Hendrix is pretty much what everyone is saying and that's the unique features of the stereo mix itself. I've worked with some Hendrix albums, and even Hendrix boots, and the challenge is making everything "fit" in the soundfield. There is amazing separation there, but the question is, when you separate it out, do you want to keep that vocal in the SR, or is rewiring channels to try to get it in that center and moving other instruments around going to make for an even less natural soundfield? On some songs, am I going to have ANYTHING to stick in the SL or SR?

Working with Hendrix and SPEC has always felt to me like the closest to "professional" (and, trust me, those are huge quotation marks I'm using there) work I've ever done, and a whole lot of it has been left on the cutting room floor.

I moved this thread from Steven Wilson to Stereo sounding good in quad...

Back