Requesting Updates : Mac Davis - Burnin' Thing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely looks like the real deal...how DID we miss or forget that? Not that I was collecting Mac quad back in the day, picked up a few SQ's later.

ED :)

I have three of the Q8's, didn't know this one existed until last night. Looks like somebody pulled the trigger and beat me to it, oh well!

Damn, I missed it, the link is dead. Amazing that after all these years it was unreported till now.

Oh also, I saw that you had Eric Burdon's Sun Secretes erroneously listed as a Columbia Q8. It's catalog # is Q8W-11359.

I was shocked to learn that there was a FIFTH Mac Davis title. Didn't think he was that popular. Makes me wonder if the artists themselves had any input as to what got remixed to Quad. Artists may have stopped their labels from "messing" with their songs, while other artists may not have cared, or had enough clout to say otherwise.

Just seems odd that there's 5 Mac Davis titles but say only one Johnny Cash or one Janis Joplin.....

Well, with Janis, how much was there to work with beyond CHEAP THRILLS and KOZMIC BLUES? PEARL was her only other big album, not much else to quad with. Cash? They didn't get around to FOLSOM PRISON back then, though they should have. As for Mac, he came along at the peak of quad and a few of his albums did sell pretty well and he had a few big pop hits like "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me" and "One Hell of a Woman."

As for artistic control or interest, probably rare. We know Ray Stevens supervised the remixing of his Barnaby quads, and certainly Pink Floyd kept an ear open with theirs, too. But most other acts probably didn't give it much thought, though I'll bet some who DID have control (like Led Zeppelin) said no.

On the other hand, Mantovani and Enoch Light--neither big sellers by the quad age--had a LOT of quad albums issued. We know Light was big on quad and technology in general, who knows what A.P.M. thought? Decca/London sure cared about his quad catalog, though; maybe they thought with his older (and wealthier) audience they might have a quad market there. Nah....

I would've thought with Ms. Joplin's untimely death, Columbia would have tried to capitalize on anything Joplin-related. We know that Cheap Thrills must have been contemplated, why not Kozmic Blues? (It's a good album) or better yet, her Greatest Hits album which featured songs from all three of those albums and was right smack in the middle of the Quad age. (1973, #32168)

As for Johnny Cash, I think they missed the boat on two HUGE albums: Hello, I'm Johnny Cash (1970) and Man in Black (1971). Both #1 albums on the US country charts. Nothing really spectacular on them song-wise, but still momentous albums none the less.

I've always felt that some of their choices for four channel albums just don't make sense.

Last edited:
The real mystery for me was why, since Columbia was the champion of SQ vinyl, they didn't release far more in quad than they did. But like the SACD situation, they didn't exploit what they had and sell it to the mainstream. Instead, they charged more and offered selected titles instead of turning MC SACD into a habit, which remains the only way to convert the public to anything: make 'em think they need it, that's it's the future, not just for audiophiles and music wonks.

Not that title, but I have a few from '75/'76 marked that way on the cover, like EWF's THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD. Don't think I've ever seen a Columbia WLP quad, though.

I think this will work went to the library

mac davis burning love quad.jpgmac davis burning love quad back.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0238.jpg

Back