Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern Muktichanel Bluray (stepped down to 4.0 / 4.1 if I add a sub)
I don't believe there is a BD, DVD-A nor SACD player that mixes the subwoofer channel with other channels (say, LF+RF) when you set it up as No Subwoofer.

Makes sense in the case of BD players as they are mainly for movies, but a mistake for music players.

Hi Can anyone forward the customer service contact info for Involve Audio? I received my SQ surround master and the light is "loose" in the housing, and I also want to verify I have the "vinyl SQ" board and not the "pure SQ" board.

I replied to the address from my order but no response yet.

Thanks in advance:)

Fred: I'm not there yet but hope to be, and would still appreciate the samples if possible.

In terms of my set up I'm a little limited now, as the centerpiece, my Marantz 4140, is currently getting rebuilt. I also don't have a TT yet, but am open to recommendations, in a perfect world, I'd like to do both SQ and CD4 from the same TT, but am getting conflicting info on whether I need a dedicated Shibata stylus and cd4 cartridge or not. I plan to use a Marantz CD-400b decoder which has the pass through, but not sure if it's RIAA equalized or not. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to add a phono preamp between the cd4 demodulator and Involve SQ if I have to.

Ultimately I want to be able to have:
Q4 r2r
Q8 8-track
SQ demodulator (involve SQ)
Cd4 demodulator (probability CD-400B)
Would be great if I could feed both demodulator With one phono
Modern Muktichanel Bluray (stepped down to 4.0 / 4.1 if I add a sub)
Computer interface

These are my goals and I haven't purchased the TT yet (need to figure out the cartridge / stylus issue). If I could do it with an exchangeable heads head she'll that might be the way to go. Also I've read that linear tracking is better for quad, but that the players are less reliable :(

Just trying to measure 6 times and cut once :)

V.sorry for the delay replying to you, are you setup for MultiChannel FLAC playback on your PC?

Don't let it deter you (its not meant to!) but for some of this old Quad stuff I've had to cut the cloth a few times (having measured it plenty!) but its worth it in the end :D

Please do send a PM if you have any further enquiries not suitable for this thread :)

Thanks for the great list Fred! I only have a handful of SQ titles (bought when I see them), so I'll keep a lookout for these:)

You're very welcome Tubelicious :)

I'd say the Involve Surround Master with the SQ Vinyl chip is really a great piece of kit, I hope you love yours as much as I do :upthumb

It metaphorically blows the cobwebs off those dusty old SQ records every time I play them (after a good wash, that helps! :eek: )

Oh also, on a related note, I notice on Discogs that sales of a number of old SQ records are more brisk more recently.. when I started picking up SQ records just over 12 months ago it was pretty easy to find multiple copies of the kind of things I was particularly interested in hearing (like the Isley Bros, the O'Jays, Harold Melvin etc..) now pretty much all copies are gone and new listings appear to sell out again almost as soon as they are listed!

So you could say the Surround Master is reinvigorating the used SQ vinyl market too.. wow what a little marvel..! :D

Hi Can anyone forward the customer service contact info for Involve Audio? I received my SQ surround master and the light is "loose" in the housing, and I also want to verify I have the "vinyl SQ" board and not the "pure SQ" board.

I replied to the address from my order but no response yet.

Thanks in advance:)

Oh.. the little blue lights not working you mean? That's unfortunate.. the two halves of the casing on mine don't seat too well with one another but I let it go because to be frank the cosmetic aspects of the wee gadget don't matter much to me, it works like a charm!

Meantime, I have no way of telling you about the exact chip in your model of course.. but I think you'd know if you have the SQ vinyl mod or not from the sound of the decoded results, the surround effect is supposed to be noticeably improved over the other incarnation of SQ decoding, afaik.

Did you try dropping Chucky or David a QQ PM yet?

They can be reached at;

QQ Member: chucky3042

QQ Member: Overture

I will now, the whole purpose of my inquiry was to get that contact info, since my email was unanswered. In terms of the decoding I haven't hooked it up yet until I confirm that I have the correct chip (which I'm hoping is just an old vs. current issue).

Thanks

Hi Fred, can you remind me how you have your SQ configured in your system? Apologies if I've asked before:). I'm still trying to configure mine (which is hard to do when ones amp is getting restored!)

I will now, the whole purpose of my inquiry was to get that contact info, since my email was unanswered. In terms of the decoding I haven't hooked it up yet until I confirm that I have the correct chip (which I'm hoping is just an old vs. current issue).

Thanks

You're welcome, anytime :)

I imagine the Involve fellas must be very busy with their current projects and things in development but I'll bet they get back to you soon thru QQ messaging system, David was very personable, professional and efficient communicating via PM I found.

I think the other SQ decoding method is still an option.. at least it was when I got mine.. at the time of ordering with David (QQ Member = Overture) I chose to go for the Surround Master with Option 1 (i.e. with the toggle switch set to the left = SQ Vinyl, labelled "SQ" on the front of the unit) and Option 2 = Involve (toggle switch to the right, labelled "Involve") I don't even think I've used the Involve mode, or at least I don't recall using it (yet) but I've got a fair bit of joy out of the SQ (SQ vinyl) mode..! :banana:

Hi Fred, can you remind me how you have your SQ configured in your system? Apologies if I've asked before:). I'm still trying to configure mine (which is hard to do when ones amp is getting restored!)

Well my setup's a bit "Frankenstein-esque" since I'm running preamps and other things from the turntable, plus several MultiCh sources thru a 4-in/1-out switchbox which has 6 x RCA Inputs and then into a MultiCh Audio Interface (MOTU Ultralite) into the computer, I don't listen to the records live that much now (trying to preserve the vinyl on those copies I have in better condition) but if I were not doing that I would revert to how I used to have it setup which was the Front Left & Right and Rear Left & Right of the 4-ch outs on the Surround Master to the 5.1 MultiCh Analog Input of my Receiver (with the turntable connected directly into the Inputs of the Surround Master, as it had its own onboard phono/RIAA preamp).. let me get back to you with photos and stuff tomorrow I need to turn in now, apologies! :eek:

Thanks

Check your spam folder, IIRC their first reply to me went there. I had the same question and they said they were only shipping the newer SQ version. I haven't tried mine with SQ, don't have many of those, but QS through Involve was excellent before my table stopped working. I'm almost ready to substitute a different turntable, but time..........

Here's a cool diagram of the Involve Decoder in action from their patent.
That would make for some interesting reading... :)

Involve-EncoderDecoders-Patented.jpg

http://involveaudio.com/involve-technology/

Hi Inkubuzz

Sorry about the slow reply, I have been sick with the flu (lost 6kg down to a dainty 111kg!), then overseas in Malaysia and the Philippines. Things are grinding to a slow conclusion. We have made up the amplifiers (shown with lids off waiting for programming), the electrostatic panels. We are waiting for the woofers but this morning I have approved the final woofer change (its better). We are still waiting for the bent speaker frames which I have been assured for 6 months is coming! This is really the issue but it looks finally like it will happen in say 2 - 3 weeks and we will then pack and dispatch.

Really sorry about this but the problem as previously mentioned was that the guy who previously cut and bent the frames had his wife hit and killed by a dickhead riding a monkey bike in a shopping center, he than could not supply which has forced us to try several other suppliers- all failed.

Getting there, have attached some images

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky, have you guys have any news on the Y4?

Attachments

• IMG_20171025_131844-min.jpg
    IMG_20171025_131844-min.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20171025_132514-min.jpg
    IMG_20171025_132514-min.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20171025_132014-min.jpg
    IMG_20171025_132014-min.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20171025_131859-min.jpg
    IMG_20171025_131859-min.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 234
Dear All

Just a note, we now only have around 7 Surround Masters left to sell, I hope you guys get them. Don't panic as I have a plan.

As you know we are developing a mega pre amp but we will design a new Surround Master in an economy preamp form with Volume, individual level controls, Bluetooth, optical, MM, MC in a metal enclosure. The price will be higher than the existing SM and somewhere between $700 to $950.

I made this decision because the SM is an oddity audio accessory, there are very few quality economy preamps on the market and none that do full surround from stereo. It is a product that the shops will understand.

Will send pictures shortly

Regards

Chucky

Dear All

Just a note, we now only have around 7 Surround Masters left to sell, I hope you guys get them. Don't panic as I have a plan.

As you know we are developing a mega pre amp but we will design a new Surround Master in an economy preamp form with Volume, individual level controls, Bluetooth, optical, MM, MC in a metal enclosure. The price will be higher than the existing SM and somewhere between $700 to $950.

I made this decision because the SM is an oddity audio accessory, there are very few quality economy preamps on the market and none that do full surround from stereo. It is a product that the shops will understand.

Will send pictures shortly

Regards

Chucky

Hi. Chucky
This new Surround Master would it incorporate the new vinyl SQ & QS system or is it your original system..

... but we will design a new Surround Master in an economy preamp form with Volume, individual level controls, Bluetooth, optical, MM, MC in a metal enclosure. The price will be higher than the existing SM and somewhere between $700 to $950.
I very much might be in at the lower price if it has adjustable input levels, it is 24/96 all over, the switching between modes is not clunky and the firmware is either soft or a swappable chip. Also if it could be configured as a line-level device with not preamp controls.

I would be in at the higher price if it includes the digital side of a CD-4 demod but I guess demodulating in the PC will be ready before the new SM is designed.

Back