Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chucky

I really want the QS /SQ version, but would prefer to NOT have to ship it back and forth to get the upgrade. The discount is very attractive of course. Would it be possible for me to pay now ($395 -$50 +$18 as I understand it) but have you hold off shipping it until the QS /SQ version is available? I will be happy to give my 2 cents afterwards.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob

Wow, did not think of that one!

OK, I agree its a good idea. give me a day or two and I will run that by our commercial people and confirm back.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky

I really want the QS /SQ version, but would prefer to NOT have to ship it back and forth to get the upgrade. The discount is very attractive of course. Would it be possible for me to pay now ($395 -$50 +$18 as I understand it) but have you hold off shipping it until the QS /SQ version is available? I will be happy to give my 2 cents afterwards.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Chucky

Thanks

Bob

Chucky:

That would work for me as well.

Justin

Dear All

RE SQ Version

Just sitting down and planning the SQ version this morning and we have some unfortunate electronic hardware configuration restrictions that limit the functionality of the SQ/ QS version. Your choices are:

1 A QS/ SQ switchable version (TSS mode deleted) for 4 channel only output on the SQ output (5.1 front and center still for QS but not SQ).

2 A dedicated SQ / TSS only version with 4 ch and 5.1 channel capability. Please note this means you would need a separate (existing) QS cored Surround Master to handle both formats.

Sorry to disappoint in advance but frankly I was not thinking in detail. I welcome your opinions on personal preferences.

Regards

chucky

for me the

1 A QS/ SQ switchable version (TSS mode deleted) for 4 channel only output on the SQ output (5.1 front and center still for QS but not SQ).

as SQ does not need a front center
all it needs is the best decoding that it can have

Ron

yes Ron is correct option 1 is the way to go.

Dear All

RE SQ Version

Just sitting down and planning the SQ version this morning and we have some unfortunate electronic hardware configuration restrictions that limit the functionality of the SQ/ QS version. Your choices are:

2 A dedicated SQ / TSS only version with 4 ch and 5.1 channel capability. Please note this means you would need a separate (existing) QS cored Surround Master to handle both formats.

Sorry to disappoint in advance but frankly I was not thinking in detail. I welcome your opinions on personal preferences.

Regards

chucky

Definately option 1! Don't need TSS. Most people here don't as most people here already have quad or surround setups. Don't need 5.1 for SQ either (don't really need 5.1 for QS either but it will be fun to play around with).

Last edited:
On the other hand...
I'd far rather have Option 2 ("A dedicated SQ / TSS only version with 4 ch and 5.1 channel capability").

Like quite a few people I would imagine, I've got hundreds of SQ LPs but only a couple of QS ones (they always were as rare as hen's teeth in the UK and have never got much more available!), so QS decoding does absolutely nothing for me. I could probably see me using the TSS function but I'm not a fan of 5.1 reproduction so I'm not really bothered about it's inclusion one way or another.

I must admit that I am getting excited, cause this poll probably means they plan on starting work on it soon. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Like quite a few people I would imagine, I've got hundreds of SQ LPs but only a couple of QS ones (they always were as rare as hen's teeth in the UK and have never got much more available!), so QS decoding does absolutely nothing for me. I could probably see me using the TSS function but I'm not a fan of 5.1 reproduction so I'm not really bothered about it's inclusion one way or another.
Just be aware that the QS mode does magical things on some non-encoded stereo recordings. That's at least half the fun of the box.

Hi. Chucky

Have you come to a conclusion on if we pay for the master and you keep it until the sq conversion, then post it to the buyer?

Thats a pretty good idea. I may even be inclined to bite on that offer. I did kinda want to wait till it was absolutely certain that the SQ software is created and working though. Even if it costs me a little more.

The SQ is going to be far trickier than the QS, as most of us know. It will be interesting to see if indeed the SQ function actually becomes a reality.

If they can get the SQ to function as well as the QS on that box it will be a wonderful thing. Arguably the best piece of quad equipment ever in existance. It would instantly render those well known Sansui and Fosgate boxes obsolete. And at a fraction of the price of those devices. SQ is a difficult animal. But the wild beast has been tamed pretty well in the past with the Tate, then better with OD's scripts. They did great with QS, they claim they can do great with SQ as well. Let's hope they can do it! My SQ and QS collection is waiting!

Dear All

I love a good challenge!

Spoke to our commercial types and they are looking at a way to facilitate this on our web site purchase page without causing confusion to non QQ persons (you know - average Joe types). Still waiting.....

One point is that the price would be $395 + $100 (SQ development payback charge) - $50 (QQ discount) + $18 = $463

Regards

Chucky

Back