Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Is this and the "Involve" processor the same thing?

Also which one of the folks involved with either of these is going on the net insulting upmixers in order to promote these products? Go promote your decoder on its own merits. Show some class and leave people who previously have shown you nothing but respect and stayed completely out of your way to do what they wish.

could you let me know what you are referring to
I could not find any site
ron

Please detail what was said..... I do not have any knowledge of this.

Regards

chucky

Question: Is this and the "Involve" processor the same thing?

Also which one of the folks involved with either of these is going on the net insulting upmixers in order to promote these products? Go promote your decoder on its own merits. Show some class and leave people who previously have shown you nothing but respect and stayed completely out of your way to do what they wish.

Probably some disgruntled fan of the thing.

an anonymous person posted 2 small posts on a torrent download site that he preferred the decoder to dka's upmixes (from what I can tell it was 2 posts on one of DKA's uploaded stereo to multichannel torrents)..in short he thought one of DKA's upmixes had artifacts....well you can't say who that was...and do I post the name of a torrent site or a link to an uploaded torrent that promotes mass copyright infringements on QQ??...I don't think so...The anonymous poster could be an owner or could just be a troll who visited here and posted anonymously there, that's what the internet allows to happen these days whether you like it or not....and there's really no way for us to find out whether it's an owner or a troller...
I have to say it took me a little while to find the 2 posts...there's more words written in my post here than the whole trolling thing on the torrent site and we've just managed to clog up this thread with 5 unrelated to the topic posts..

and besides this whole accusation thing is rediculous..if someone went on the site and posted to an lp to digital converter that he preferred the sound of mp3 from itunes because there were no lp scratches and hence the lp converters uploads were flawed, would the uploader start screaming at apple and ask them to show some respect? I don't think so.

As one of the few people around these parts that has actually used both the Surround Master and SPEC, I can say with some authority that these are two different beasts. Aside from the fact that the Surround Master is "hardware" and SPEC is software, the Surround Master is a single box solution with a fixed output. You get what the box gives you, which, IMHO, is pretty damn good.

SPEC is total control. You have an incredible amount of flexibility and choices as to what you get as an end result.

The results from both 'systems' is impressive, and also subject to what you put in it. Here's the thing, though. YES, you can get bad results from SPEC, but another person, using the same source, could get great results from SPEC. It's a matter of how the process is used and adjusted. Like I said, there are many ways to set the thing up because of the many choices the user has. In many cases, a skilled user can get something quite good whereas someone else might give up because of poor results.

With the Surround Master, everyone gets the same results.

So, to disparage one method over the other is foolish, in that while they both create surround from stereo, they are two different beasts. And someone may prefer one over the other for whatever reason they may have, but you really can't compare the two as it's not apples to apples.

Why anyone would put down either of these methods who is a surround music fan is beyond me. People who download music for free, then proceed to trash the folks that provide it are just the type of people who ruin open forums and internet communications vehicles. One can get very self-important when hiding behind a username and computer screen, totally free from recourse.

As one of the few people around these parts that has actually used both the Surround Master and SPEC, I can say with some authority that these are two different beasts. Aside from the fact that the Surround Master is "hardware" and SPEC is software, the Surround Master is a single box solution with a fixed output. You get what the box gives you, which, IMHO, is pretty damn good.

SPEC is total control. You have an incredible amount of flexibility and choices as to what you get as an end result.

The results from both 'systems' is impressive, and also subject to what you put in it. Here's the thing, though. YES, you can get bad results from SPEC, but another person, using the same source, could get great results from SPEC. It's a matter of how the process is used and adjusted. Like I said, there are many ways to set the thing up because of the many choices the user has. In many cases, a skilled user can get something quite good whereas someone else might give up because of poor results.

With the Surround Master, everyone gets the same results.

So, to disparage one method over the other is foolish, in that while they both create surround from stereo, they are two different beasts. And someone may prefer one over the other for whatever reason they may have, but you really can't compare the two as it's not apples to apples.

Why anyone would put down either of these methods who is a surround music fan is beyond me. People who download music for free, then proceed to trash the folks that provide it are just the type of people who ruin open forums and internet communications vehicles. One can get very self-important when hiding behind a username and computer screen, totally free from recourse.

Thank you, Jon, and you hit the nail EXACTLY on the head as to the difference between the two. I could not have said that any better.

My apologies as well to Chris if this feels superfluous to him. There are other threads and tangents on this site which I feel the same way about. We both can cope. I will also say that, in my ten years as a member of the online surround community, it often feels like the Mos Eisley Cantina in the amount of unsavory characters you encounter.

Hopefully you are right and this is not someone associated with either hardware decoder. I'm also sure they appreciate the Apple comparison and hope they become 1/1,000,000th as successful. This just all feels like a pure waste of time and people should be left to pursue their hobbies as they seem fit. In eight year of doing upmixes, I've never made a penny off of any of this. At this point, I do it, at a much slower pace, because it allows me a moment to myself after a day or either playing daddy to a toddler or being someone of importance at my job, because enough people actually think I'm damn good at it, and because it helps a friend who isn't making anything off it either (no, NOT me) show off with his own homebrew work can do with actual evidence. It's a hobby. My own life has kept me mostly off of even this site for a few months now. However, frankly, if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't want anyone disparaging their work in such a rude manner while trying to put Zeerround's over. Both things exist for a different kind of surround fan.

Chucky, if this is someone not related to you at all, know that the initial post happened after dealing with a puking toddler at 1:00 AM and accept my apology. However, this is how your product is being name-dropped out there. All publicity isn't always good publicity.

Hi DKA

I really have no knowledge of this or your service. I will do some checks but it is not our policy to attack others (except maybe Dolby!!)

Regards

chucky

Dear All

I love a good challenge!

Spoke to our commercial types and they are looking at a way to facilitate this on our web site purchase page without causing confusion to non QQ persons (you know - average Joe types). Still waiting.....

One point is that the price would be $395 + $100 (SQ development payback charge) - $50 (QQ discount) + $18 = $463

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky -
Any word yet on the pricing issue? I am holding off from ordering until I know what all of the options are - in addition, you mentioned that the discounted pricing expires in less than two weeks; is that still the case?
Thanks -

Hi Sfactor23.

Please remind me if I have forgotten anything but as far as I am aware the price for the SQ version is $465 as quoted with the discount that will expire in 2 weeks.
Nice to hear from somebody - things have gone quiet on this forum!!!!

Regards

Chucky
Hi Chucky -
Any word yet on the pricing issue? I am holding off from ordering until I know what all of the options are - in addition, you mentioned that the discounted pricing expires in less than two weeks; is that still the case?
Thanks -

Hi Sfactor23.

Please remind me if I have forgotten anything but as far as I am aware the price for the SQ version is $465 as quoted with the discount that will expire in 2 weeks.

Regards

Chucky

Thanks for getting back to me -
I'm willing to purchase the SQ version; how do I order it? I don't see the option to on the website -
also, just to clarify, is the SQ version the current QS version which I would need to send back to you when the SQ ability becomes available, to have it added on?
Thanks -

Thanks

Hi Sfactor23.

Regards

Chucky
Hi Chucky -
Thanks -

I think what he wants to know is if there is any way yet to order the SQ version now, before the discount expires, and have it ship once SQ version made. Like we were talking about earlier. You were going to speak with your marketing peeps Charlie.

Also my tax refund check will be on the way soon. Money for the QS/SQ version of the surround master will be set aside. :banana:

And yeah, the Surround Master threads have been pretty quiet. I guess no news is good news? How is development of SQ coming? Is it still on schedule for March or April? Don't take this as rushing. Don't rush. I want SQ to be as perfect as the QS :)

I think what he wants to know is if there is any way yet to order the SQ version now, before the discount expires, and have it ship once SQ version made. Like we were talking about earlier. You were going to speak with your marketing peeps Charlie.

Also my tax refund check will be on the way soon. Money for the QS/SQ version of the surround master will be set aside. :banana:

And yeah, the Surround Master threads have been pretty quiet. I guess no news is good news? How is development of SQ coming? Is it still on schedule for March or April? Don't take this as rushing. Don't rush. I want SQ to be as perfect as the QS :)

yes, well said Q8!
:)

well, its been quiet because im spending more time with the SM, playing all my CDs and even mp3s, than in QQ :D

Last edited:
We're all just a bit baffled by this repeated confirmation of the price Chucky-
as far as I am aware the price for the SQ version is $465 as quoted with the discount that will expire in 2 weeks.

because as you said earlier-

Spoke to our commercial types and they are looking at a way to facilitate this on our web site purchase page without causing confusion to non QQ persons (you know - average Joe types). Still waiting.....

but nothing has changed on the web site, so there is no way to place such an order (although the discount clock is apparently still running down!).
Help!

Heya Charlie,

How is SQ development going? Does it look to be as great as your QS decode? Any major bugs?

Thanks!

Back